Rick Dangerous

Why I am hesitant to buy a PS5

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't like Spelunky but I can name hundreds of games Intellimission has probably missed as well... Including a lot of games with couch coop that don't correspond to everything he listed (focus on other things than gameplay, 3D gameplay, realism, online multiplayer, etc.).

I'm very wary of anyone that doesn't like Spelunky 😃

Yeah, as you've said though the list is endless. I've more stuff lined up than I think I can play in the next five years, even if I stop buying now.

I’m hesitant for a few reasons:

No native 1440p support

No Gamepass for Day 1 exclusives

Poorer thermal design Vs Series X

Microsoft owns Bethesda

Console is still impossible to buy at MSRP easily. The same could be said for the Series X. I had to buy a Series S in hopes one of these more powerful consoles would become available. Looks like I’ll be buying a Pro model in 2023 at this point.

• Like 1

IMHO Bethesda needs a good MS slapdown. But it's the above-MSRP that's a bigger detractor.

I’m a pretty big fan of Halo(the original). My pocket book is burning watching the new Halo Special edition Series X getting scalped all over the place.

• Like 1

Playstation has always been a strong brand for me, but I can totally understand people wanting to wait a year or two when some killer AAA exclusives release.  

Honestly I bought the PS5 at launch because how transformative it can make a lot of PS4 games play via BC improvements.  Going from 30fps to 60fps is such a night and day difference for games.  The better motion and lower input lag really makes these games play so much better.  I can't wait to replay Uncharted 4 when the PS5 enhanced port comes out early next year with 60fps. 

• Like 1

Somewhat random anecdote: a good friend of mine who bought his PS5 at launch (through a direct invite from Sony) told me that he got a "too hot" warning two nights ago.  It recommended that he turn it off until it cooled down, which he did.  It happened close to bedtime so he just shut it down for the night and the next day, opened it up and cleaned it out.  He only saw a tiny amount of dust and it seems to be working fine now, but still worrisome.  (I'll update if something changes.)

The funny/not-funny thing is this happened just after his console had turned a year old.  Had it died completely, it would be out of warranty.  He takes care of his stuff, lives alone, no pets and his place is not dusty or dirty.

Edit with some fresh info: He says he did not hear the fan running even when getting that "too hot" message, but it is always exceptionally quiet so that may not mean anything.  He also mentioned he was playing R&C in 4K Fidelity Mode - played a bunch more last night and had no problems.  Not sure what happened so I hope it was just a fluke??

Edited by glazball
  • Like 1

Somewhat random anecdote: a good friend of mine who bought his PS5 at launch (through a direct invite from Sony) told me that he got a "too hot" warning two nights ago.  It recommended that he turn it off until it cooled down, which he did.  It happened close to bedtime so he just shut it down for the night and the next day, opened it up and cleaned it out.  He only saw a tiny amount of dust and it seems to be working fine now, but still worrisome.  (I'll update if something changes.)

The funny/not-funny thing is this happened just after his console had turned a year old.  Had it died completely, it would be out of warranty.  He takes care of his stuff, lives alone, no pets and his place is not dusty or dirty.

Edit with some fresh info: He says he did not hear the fan running even when getting that "too hot" message, but it is always exceptionally quiet so that may not mean anything.  He also mentioned he was playing R&C in 4K Fidelity Mode - played a bunch more last night and had no problems.  Not sure what happened so I hope it was just a fluke??

It’s been said that early adopters of new hardware are really just beta testers. I think that gets more true with every passing day.
  • Like 1

Yup. If it's that new and that well-kept and still has a marginal issue, well, then, it needs a revision. Whether it gets that revision or not seems to always depend on the buying public's tolerance for technical tedia.

• Like 1

After reading all 3 pages, I wanted to say that I also did not really like Spelunky . . . 

But I agree with the point that the console can do sooo many things besides play Halo or God of War.  I just wish the newest ones were actually for sale.