IGNORED

If you could only have ONE, the 5200, or the XEGS?

BIGHMW

If you could only own one which one of these consoles would it be?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only own one which one of these consoles would it be?

• Atari 5200
    • Atari XEGS

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Both of these Atari 8-bit systems share a majority of the titles but the 5200 had only 16K of RAM, while the XEGS had 64K of RAM.

But if you could own only one, which would it be???

The 5200:

Arguments for the 5200:

1. Several titles are (as of this moment) 5200 exclusives, including but not limited to titles like

Intellidiscs

all of the Mean Hamster titles

@playsoft's port of Yar's Strike

2. Redemption 5200, and the Masterplay clones that are out there, in which can expand compatibility with PC, 2600, and 7800 controllers

3. 2600 adapter to play those games too

4. Ever-expanding lineup of titles, mostly conversions from the Atari 8-bit computer line

Arguments against the 5200:

1: The supplied controllers of course, even though they DO have their advantages in certain titles (i.e. Missile Command and Super Breakout) in which analog control is optimized.

2. Only 16K of RAM

3. Only 69 originally-released titles from 1982-87, although there are now over 300 titles available

4. The infamous automatic TV switch, in which was a 5200 exclusive, and was included with almost all 4-port units

5. 2600 adapter not-compatible with 4-port units

6. Certain titles (Pitfall, K-Razy Shoot-out, and Mountain King) will not work on 2-port units that do not have an onboard 4-port BIOS

The XEGS, a.k.a. XE Game System

Arguments for the XEGS:

1. Full compatibility with all 2600 controllers, including joysticks, trakballs, and paddles

2. Thousands of titles including all Atari 400/800/XL/XE computer games all readily available to plug-and-play

3. A powerful 64K of RAM

4. Since this is basically a game console with computer I/O ports expanded memory upgrades and readily-available drives and peripherals for the Atari 8-bit computers will work as well

Arguments against the XEGS:

1. Very rare, as from what I read only 100,000 units were ever produced before its discontinuation in 1992

2. Certain functions only available on the attachable separate keyboard

3. Some titles ported to from the 5200 won't work properly

So now it's up to you to decide, now many of us like myself already own both units so I don't count, this poll is mainly for those who only want ONE of them.

Edited by BIGHMW

Speaking as someone who has both and if I had to give up one , I would give up the XEGS. I love the 5200 because it has way more fun memories for me and feels more like a console. I am aware that both systems are based on Atari Computer systems. I was also lucky enough to get the 5200 Wilco controllers to solve the controller issues for the most part. Just one mans opinion.

I had both, but I gave up the 5200. Controllers, cart size, and composite out were the main factors.

I forget which game (Ms Pac Man?) tries to read the 5200 controller position at startup, to center it, but I was using a digital stick w/adaptor. It threw everything off- I couldn't move in certain directions for several games in a row until it figured it out. It was kind of annoying. Xegs doesn't have that problem. 

I also like to mess around with drawing and music stuff, like mario paint. XEGS has options for that, 5200 didn't. 

If I was going for collecting a complete set, or nostalgia, or aesthetics, I'd go 5200. But xegs wins on practicality.

It depends on what is meant by "could only have one".  Only have one console, period, or only have one of the two?  The question is worded like it's the latter, so I answered the poll that way.

If it's just one console and that's it?  5200, probably.  The 2600 adaptor would put it over the top.  Huge selection of games with more being made for that system all the time, and generally of high quality.  You'd be missing out on the full array of A8 games, but basically all the essentials have been ported over to the 5200 already.  Also, there are compatibility issues with the later model A8 machines and some games, and some of the arcade games that ended up on both are actually superior on the 5200.  The joysticks are fine by me for the most part.  It's not like paddles aren't a whole pain in the ass unto themselves.

Now, if it's just one of the two, probably the XEGS.  A 7800 to go along with it will take care of the 2600 deficit and more besides.  Bigger game selection, more active support and new games, the New Year's Eve disks... It's got a lot more life as a platform.  Of course, if I'm allowed that loophole, I could just get an 800XL and an 800 and a 5200 and a 7800, which is what I acually do have, so game selection is not an issue, and I have no feeling of missing out over not having a XEGS.  If I were to dish out for another 8-bit Atari, it would be a 130XE or 2600 before I got the XEGS.

So, realistically I could go 5200 either way and not miss a beat, but I think the spirit of the thing is to pit the ol' 52 against the 8-bit line in general, in which case, yeah, the latter probably squeaks it out. 

I actually did own an XEGS at one point, and I sold it.  I now have multiple 5200s, but I've always kinda thought I was on the wrong side of that.  The 8 bit is probably the way to go.  Paradoxically, I think the thing that stops me switching to the XEGS (or any 8 bit) is that I never had an Atari 8 bit computer growing up.  I'm really not familiar with the platform at all, and it makes me tired to think about getting into a new classic computer (that goes for you too TI-99 4A).  So I've kept my 5200 and the flashcart.  It is simpler to get something fun out of, and I've already overcome the controller problems through a variety of methods.

Interesting observations from all of you guys, thanks!

If the 5200 was a bit smaller (like the propsed unreleased prototype, the 5100 a.k.a. "The 5200 Jr.") then hell yeah I would go for it, as I own one already and yet, much like @wongojack stated, I too, have overcome the controller debacle, as I can also use my 7800 controllers with it and my Redemption 5200 7800 interface.

But also right now I'm unable to use my CX53 trak-ball because it's not working currently yet, if anybody knows someone who can fix it and get it back up to speed (also issues with the carbon contacts on the keypad and start/pause/reset buttons not working as well as the pop-o-matic fire buttons not working at all) then PM me an address to send her to so I can play my trak-ball games on her again for the first time in years.

Also I mentioned about the 5200-exclusive titles like the Mean Hamster ports (Combat 2: Advanced, Haunted House II 3-D, AtariTris, Klax, and Gauntlet) and also @Ryan Witmer's brilliant Intellidiscs and also @playsoft's brilliant conversion of "Yar's Strike", Ronen Habot's Castle Blast, and Keithen Hayenga's masterpiece Tempest, should be enough to persuade me towards it.

However, as we all know, the 5200 can't play everything as I found out the hard way, when cool 8-bit titles like Food Fight, WarGames, Albert, Time Pilot, and Arkanoid are just too powerful for Big Sexy and for those it would persuade me towards the XEGS, as does the fact that most (not all see last paragraph) 5200 ports (like the superior 5200 version of Centipede) have since been ported back to the 8-bit/XEGS. Also the fact that all 2600-compatible controllers will work with her would also swing me towards her.

Well, this proves that no one system can play them all, that's why I have both and have recused myself from voting in my own poll, as this was a poll based on if you could only have one or the other, whatever other consoles you choose to pair it up with is up to you but certainly those don't count on this poll.

Well I'm trying to fall (back) in love with Big Sexy, although she has a few games lacking for her that I would love to see converted from the 8-bit series to her, and I'm starting to reacquire my old touch as far as my gaming is concerned, I almost broke the 100,000 point mark on Millipede on her, ironically enough, using the CX24 ProLine 7800 stick with my Redemption 5200 7800 controller interface, and although I's rather have my CX53 Trak-Ball working again (if anyone can help me find someone to ship it to to get fixed please let me know, and I have figured out how to quell the uncontrollable spinning of your ship on the abandoned Asteroids port, simply by quickly wiggling back-and forth left-and-right and using a very light touch on the CX24 on her after that, and even though she still has issues with abruptly thrusting or shielding if you move her up or down any bit if you can develop a fine touch you should be able to deal with it. As for Tempest, well, time will tell whether or not I'll ever become good at it with the CX52 stick, even though I'd love to try her with the CX53 Trak-Ball but can't due to her being non-functional. Besides I prefer Keithen Hayenga's 5200 Tempest over Tempest Xtreem from Video 61 in which I have the demo ROM I use on my Ultimate Cart on my XEGS even though that awesome port definitely blows the doors off most 8-bit and 5200-based ports.

Also, IntelliDiscs has easily become one of my new favorites (that'll be featured on the next episode of the 5200 edition of The Atari Report soon, as I am just waiting the next Beta to be put out before I review her as @Ryan Witmer has just an absolute winner on his hands yet again) as I like to use the trigger mode on her (like on Berzerk) as I just cannot get down the idea of using the keypad along with the stick as I have been known to press the wrong directional keypad button while operating the joystick at the same time. And as for the Pac-Man, Pac-Man Plus. and Hangly-Man ports they still have that glitch (on Pac-Man's face) on them in which is not present on the official Pac-Man cart but is there on the Atarimax I use on her. But I am slowly starting to reconnect with Big Sexy, and while yes she may not be able to play games like Food Fight, WarGames, Arkanoid and Time Pilot, games I would've wanted to see ported on her she has a damn good lineup of games for her already, over 300 and counting, including the best versions of Robotron, Space Dungeon (I still have one of my twin CX52 controller holders from them from when I used to own the cartridges) and especially of Star Raiders as all the controls are on the CX52 as opposed to having to use the keyboard on the 8-bit along with the joystick. Well, I've gotta get back to practice right now and I'm trying to restart my twice-daily multivitamin regimen (along with my meds of course), taking Centrum, Vitamin C, Fish Oil, and Ginkgo Biloba, in order to try and regain both my focus and concentration I used to have from back in the day as we all know that we do need that when we play our systems for maximum scores, along with our best controllers in there too of course.

Well, I've never had a 5200, but I have a 600XL that I inherited from my uncle, so...

I just wish the keyboard wasn't so awful. But the XEGS doesn't even have a keyboard, so it's a moot point in this argument.

Edited by Asaki

26 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Well, I've never had a 5200, but I have a 600XL that I inherited from my uncle, so...

I just wish the keyboard wasn't so awful. But the XEGS doesn't even have a keyboard, so it's a moot point in this argument.

The XEGS does have a keyboard but it was detachable (via a 15-pin connector the same type the 5200 controllers had) so you can use the unit by itself for most games just fine without it. The Options and Select buttons on the console took care of your primary functions along with the start button. No pause mode though, for that you have to use the keyboard and the space bar on it to pause a game.

I guess that to some people the 5200 or Colecovision was like a 70s/80s-era Top-40 radio station, that being "just the hits", as opposed to the 8-bit computers or the XEGS where you had just about almost everything, much like a record store did, sometimes to the point of being almost too much.

I originally didn't have either. I had a 400 instead that was later replaced with a 130XE. It taught me how to program. All of the 5200 library was ported over by Glen The 5200 man back then so I didn't miss much. Now I have a 5200 and XEGS. The 5200 is out in the game room and is played regularly. It just fits better with the other systems and looks mean. 

On 4/25/2021 at 10:41 PM, BIGHMW said:

The XEGS does have a keyboard but it was detachable (via a 15-pin connector the same type the 5200 controllers had) so you can use the unit by itself for most games just fine without it.

Yeah, what I meant to say was that it didn't come with a keyboard.

I don't know, I'm tired.