IGNORED

2600 games for 400/800

Mortis

Hi everyone, 

Just discovered the website; I'm still looking through it.  Amazing stuff here.

I couldn't locate any answers to a question and Giggle led me here. - so i did search as well as I could ? -

I have a few Atari 400s, 800, C-64s, ... and many Atari 2600 cartridges. Unfortunately I no longer have a 2600. 

I'm sure others like some games on the 2600 that are just not the same on the 400/800 machines. Just one example is Space Invaders. The 2600 version is simply the best one ever (over 100 levels of Space Invaders)...

Anyways, would anyone here know if I can convert my ROMs (or if anyone has any magic) to play the cartridges (and or program) from the 2600 on an 8 bit Atari computer?

all the best,

Mortis....

Unfortunately it's a bit trickier than simply converting a ROM to run on the Atari 8-bit. The graphics capabilities of the two are a bit too dissimilar. (e.g., on the 2600 you can replicate a player 2 or 3 times -- think of the bi-planes on Combat, or the cows in Stampede).

That said, it HAS been done for a few games.  Avery 'Phaeron' Lee (creator of the Altirra emulator) reworked a few 2600 games to run on the 8-bits. Offhand I'm not sure if they can run on 400/800, or if they need XL/XE. You can find them over on Atari Mania, for example: http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-400-800-xl-xe-lee-avery_team_9933_8_G.html

That lists Adventure, Midnight Magic (a favorite!), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Seaquest, and Stampede.

See also Norbert Kehrer's straight up emulators that he's made for the Atari 8-bits: https://norbertkehrer.github.io/... including Atari arcade games Asteroids and Sprint 1, a Commodore PET clone of NAMCO's "Galaga" arcade game, and a Commodore 64 clone of NAMCO's "Rally-X" called "Radar Rat Race"... and even emulators of a PDP-8 emulator and HP calculators!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Anyways, would anyone here know if I can convert my ROMs (or if anyone has any magic) to play the cartridges (and or program) from the 2600 on an 8 bit Atari computer?

Nope, can't happen without serious surgery to the ROMs.  The way the 2600 and A8 handle video, sound, etc. is very different, as are memory, CPUs, etc.

What you may want to consider is picking up a 7800.  Your 2600 cartridges will work with it, and there's a killer homebrew scene going on for 7800-specific titles (as well as 2600).  Add in a Concerto or Dragonfly cartridge and you've got the best of both worlds.

• Like 2