IGNORED

D/Generation Original, by West-Coast Software (in VCS Store)

justclaws

On Discord, @West Coast Software just announced he plans to bring a game to the VCS. 
It's a retro version of an even more retro original, which was a classic game, apparently.

It was released for the Switch previously, but it was created first for the Apple II!
D/Generation : The Original for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

Obviously this game is not about the graphics, it's about the gameplay, and puzzles.

dgenorg2.thumb.jpg.ae1704a8c6b14a207f67aac635e1a373.jpgdgenorg1.thumb.jpg.e7244458db337fd4f1e0749473ef5d03.jpg

The developer web-site is here. The first VCS game from Wales, anyway.
Home | West Coast Software (west-coast.wales)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, justclaws said:

On Discord, a developer just announced he plans to bring a game to the VCS. 
It's a retro version of an even more retro original, which was a classic game, apparently.

It was released for the Switch previously. D/Generation : The Original for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

dgenorg2.thumb.jpg.ae1704a8c6b14a207f67aac635e1a373.jpgdgenorg1.thumb.jpg.e7244458db337fd4f1e0749473ef5d03.jpg

This was a classic game I played and was frustrated with many times on the Commodore AMIGA.  Great game. 

Capture.PNG.97be428fffbb3a805aceb6f0e16e6ed0.PNG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D/Generation

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, justclaws said:

On Discord, a developer just announced he plans to bring a game to the VCS. 

It was released for the Switch previously. D/Generation : The Original for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Game Details

The developer recently confirmed on the Atari VCS Discord that this game is now complete,
and it has been submitted to Atari for testing. This may take some time, as a new build.
If there's an update, I will post it...

• Like 1

HEADS UP: This game is not currently functioning. You can purchase the game from the store, but it does not launch. Instead, when you attempt to launch from the Home screen it pops out but then doesn't load and sends you back to the Home screen. So, maybe wait until that gets fixed before buying.

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

HEADS UP: This game is not currently functioning. You can purchase the game from the store, but it does not launch. Instead, when you attempt to launch from the Home screen it pops out but then doesn't load and sends you back to the Home screen. So, maybe wait until that gets fixed before buying.

It's weird, actually - @West Coast Software do you know what the problem is?

When I first downloaded it, I played it quite a bit, maybe half and hour, and then I quit.
I then returned to the game, and it did not work, just popped-up, and disappeared; baffling.
I thought it was something weird locally, so I did not try it again, as I've been rather busy...

(BTW, the presentation is very "old-school", true the original, but the gameplay is very good.)

18 hours ago, bmadgames said:

I just tried playing this morning and didn't have any issues. 100% agree... This is a really fun game

Interesting! I got a reply from Robert (WCS) and he said Atari are investigating, for re-release ASAP.
I deleted it, and tried to download, but it's pulled from the store pending consistent reliability it seems.
I think this would be a case where a Windows/Linux "report this error to developers" pop-up is needed.

Yes, it's fun, challenging, and old-school in a good way, gameplay wise. I never played "the original".

However, the price combined with the retro-graphics ARE going to be a big block for many people...
(So many gamers say they don't care about graphics so much, it's gameplay they care about, but any
game comes along without amazing graphics, and many of the same people slam it for bad graphics.)

I found the bug which is the cause of why D/Generation crashes, and I have informed WCS.

If there is no active controller on the VCS, when the game starts, it will crash.
You can fix the problem by having the controller connected via USB, or paired and active.

I was launching the game with keyboard/mouse from the Atari VCS interface previously.

Atari continue to post articles on their Medium btw, which is good news. ?
This is the link to the article about D/Generation, and an extra back-story about this "retro release". 
https://atarivcs.medium.com/d-generation-returns-to-atari-for-its-30th-anniversary-76aacfe6c391

(Also good news that WCS are already fixing the bug.)

This is a remake of the old version, yes.

I never played the original but I guess more or less so, chunky graphics. It is a native Linux binary, not emulation, different colours and remastered sound and music but the idea of the develop is it's their Original. A "Marmite" release.

WestCoastSoftware who posted abover in this thread can answer other things...

I heard the HD sequel which is now out for the Xbox One will follow on VCS later.

The update for D/Generation is in the store btw.
I just had a chat with the developer, and in a future update he'll look to support the Classic controller.
The music and reworked intro makes quite a difference!

Interesting, I remember seeing this on the Atari ST in the store, but never actually played the game.  One would think more people would come forward and re-release their old games if they had any fan base at all back in the day (I would LOVE an Epyx Game collection on the VCS, if whomever now owns those would release it (hint hint).  Also, maybe figure out a way to include VCS store keys in humble bundles, as I'd love to be able to do a split purchase of Steam+VCS keys somehow, as sometimes I prefer to fire up one over the other.

I'll have to pick this up.  I always wonder when something like this is released, if they're using an emulator wrapper, and if so, which one and which version of the game are they basing this release on (as this one seemed to have released on 8bit/16bit era machines.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leech said:

I'll have to pick this up.  I always wonder when something like this is released, if they're using an emulator wrapper, and if so, which one and which version of the game are they basing this release on (as this one seemed to have released on 8bit/16bit era machines.)

The developer, @West Coast Software already posted here, and we have useful contact.

Although it's an old game, this is native code for Linux, using SDL2, apparently.
I'd guess, the code-base they based it on, is the version they released for Switch/Xbox-One.
The graphics, sound, although so retro, had to be remade of course, for that new version.

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

ALMOST got past level 82 last night...might be a case of a game I have to admit defeat on if I want to get the video out in any kind of timely manner... :)

I'm NOWHERE NEAR level 82. Well done. ?

• 7 months later...