IGNORED

Atari 2600 Constant loud static

Adamj91

You mean you replaced the two poly capacitors near the red coil right? 

In any event the static just means that the audio itself needs to be tuned in. The red coil is where the adjustment is made but you are supposed to use a plastic hex adjustment tool for this purpose. Using a small metal hex tool can cause you to crack the ferrite core inside the adjustment coil and the metal will throw off he adjustment so it will sound find you have the tool in there and adjusted, but then get screwy again when you remove it.

Also as a PSA to anyone else following - I've found recently that anytime the poly caps are changed out, that static from the audio is common and requires adjustment. Especially when replacing out with ceramic type. Last few 2600s I've installed refub kits into and replaced out the poly caps, I've had to adjust.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Here is another option on the plastic hex tools:  Philmore 6 -pc Universal Color TV Radio Alignment Trimmer Tool Set - - Amazon.com

That is the same set I have along with a few others over the years I've collected. Only I have a shop local to me I bought mine from. 

15 hours ago, Adamj91 said:

Good point, I'll have to get a plastic hex from best electronics it seems, I did try it with a metal hex but didn't get far.  

Here are the replaced double capacitors , says, 281 on it I believe

Screenshot_20210421-201441.png

Yes, those are the ones I'm talking about. The last 2 2600s I refurbed and 1 5200 I replaced those poly caps using the replacements from console5 and had to adjust the audio. It is frustrating because my LCD I use in the work lab will auto tune making it nearly impossible to make sure it is correct. So I have to connect them up to my old CRT in the spare room and adjust the audio from there to be sure. When the static issue was happening on the ones I worked on, it would come and go because of the auto tuning aspects of the more modern TV. 

• Like 1

When I hooked it up to the LCD the static comes back on at around the 7sec mark. I could of messed up somewhere with the recap/refresh kit from console 5 (before recap it wouldnt show an image and have loud static), wasnt until I swapped out the riot chip I got picture again but that was after the recap...

Anyway, here's the issue, I plan to have the system the Tim W. RGB mod installed so this issue might just be irrelevant but im unsure,

thanks