IGNORED

Retro Game Boyz 5200 controller

ZillaRUSH

This just arrived yesterday.  It is amazing.  Finally get to enjoy my 5200!! 

Fast delivery and quality product.  First game was Bosconian.  Played flawless.

Kept cranking thru my Atarimax games giving each a try.  The knobs can be used for paddles in games like Kaboom.

Cant wait to play again tonite!

Capture.JPG.5020f8935eb74b85078e714c445eb952.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

The knobs can be used for paddles in games like Kaboom.

I take it then that they are not used to adjust the trim of the joystick and they actually are paddle controllers.  Does one of them control up/down and the other left/right?

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

I take it then that they are not used to adjust the trim of the joystick and they actually are paddle controllers.  Does one of them control up/down and the other left/right?

It appears that they do both.  I just might get one of these. 

• Like 3

Def buy one...it rocks!!!  Played more tonite.  The knobs are used to help the up/down - left/right positioning.  I set it for each new game.  Take a few seconds. The lit up buttons are sweet!   A few games struggle.  Gorf I had to use the knobs.  But actually it was pretty cool.

I was waiting for the Edladdin controllers to arrive...now that thought is on hold.  This works great! 

• Like 2

its neato not exactly a "company" making it its very simple to wire up  a controller i've always said the hardest part is finding an "enclosure" every one is either too big or too small  if anyone saw my attempts at home made controllers ive gone through altoid tins up through a metal power supply  box

i guess the problem i note is arcade machines use joysticks because it mounted to a giant unmovable enclosure

the atari 2600 joystick works cause its fine to hand hold and press the one button with your thumb but when you get to 2 buttons it gets more tricky companies have been using heavy steel plates and feet and even suction cups to replicate the feel of a stationary arcade cabinet

it is cool that it is a right hand stick so many arcade sticks are left hand stick

the second hardest part is finding a plug that fits in the 5200 jack

i wish everyone luck making joysticks ive come to the conclusion if you are going to hold it in your hands it should be ergonomic

i just use a gravis gamepad and a pc adapter

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

They have a Facebook page.  The original joystick looks good.  The keypad was my idea and is a nice addition.  Now I need a 9 pin version of the keypad for my masterly clone.

I also suggested the Keypad to him, so it was my idea!  MINE!  lol  I kid, totally kid, but I did also suggest it to him.  Maybe we all beat him down with our "WHAT ABOUT A KEYPAD WAAAAH!" suggestions lol

I have a Blue Joystick with the dials that I got before he did the keypad thing.  The LEDs are fantastic, and honestly, despite its small size it feels super solid and is one of the best joysticks I've ever used.

As for the dials, YES, they are amazing as paddles, super exact.  I use them for Castle Crisis, and they're simply perfect.  So now I am thinking about buying one of his new designs with the keypad mounted, looks really, really cool. :)

• 1 month later...

Got mine, stick on left. I haven't used it much yet. The little I did was very enjoyable. One thing I do not like is the size of the start button. Maybe it should be a smaller sized button? The little I played I reset Pac-Man a few times by accidentally pressing start on the side. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2021 at 8:06 AM, Charlie_ said:

Got mine, stick on left. I haven't used it much yet. The little I did was very enjoyable. One thing I do not like is the size of the start button. Maybe it should be a smaller sized button? The little I played I reset Pac-Man a few times by accidentally pressing start on the side. 

So, Retrogameboyz makes a new version of this stick with the built in keypad. I wish I would have waited! Still I like the version I have. The side START button issue I mentioned really affected my gameplay. I replaced the side START button with a flush button I purchased on Amazon. It works great.

My_RGB_5200.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, ZillaRUSH said:

Def buy one...it rocks!!!  Played more tonite.  The knobs are used to help the up/down - left/right positioning.  I set it for each new game.  Take a few seconds. The lit up buttons are sweet!

Just tested mine. Played a few games. Love Super Breakout and Kaboom with this stick (left trim knob). So far, so good.  Need to try some maze games (Jawbreaker, Pac-Man etc.)

CF46F479-2377-481A-9F08-08FCAC041647.jpeg

• Like 2

Here's mine, I DO have to re-film the closing of my RetroGameBoyz.com controller episode in order to correct a few things including a separate end tag for all of my videos on all 3 of my YouTube channels so it'll be up this weekend Meanwhile here is a pic of my 5200 stick (right-handed stick with black knob and buttons) for all of you.

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.c86cdff9982797470fd975ef42954b96.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

It's weird seeing people using your right hand to control the stick.  Traditionally, shooting games in the arcade have the button on the right side of the joystick.  Are you guys lefty?

Depending on the game, I prefer the JS on the right (I'm righty) and have a couple of controllers with the stick on the right.

7800 ProSystem JS.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Depending on the game, I prefer the JS on the right (I'm righty) and have a couple of controllers with the stick on the right.

7800 ProSystem JS.jpg

Did you have that one custom-made and if so where can I get one so I can have a branded 7800 stick like that???

4 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Did you have that one custom-made and if so where can I get one so I can have a branded 7800 stick like that???

These "7800 ProSystem Joysticks" were made back in 2014.  Here's the original thread.  A few of us purchased them with the stick on the right.

5 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

It's weird seeing people using your right hand to control the stick.  Traditionally, shooting games in the arcade have the button on the right side of the joystick.  Are you guys lefty?

A lot of the early to mid-80s arcade cabinets would feature a stick with symmetrical buttons on either side of the control panel for ambidextrous play. So anyone who favored their right hand to control would use their left to hit the buttons. The 2600 joystick expects you to use your right hand on the stick and the 5200's original controller is also ambidextrous... so the precedent is there for people to have their preference.