IGNORED

1400XL value...

geneb

Along with the 7800 I posted about earlier, I've also got a 1400XL that I'm trying to value.  I have no clue what it's worth, but from past discussions I've seen, it's somewhere between "a lot" and "I'll trade you my first born for it". :D

I'd like to get an idea a bit more concrete than that. :)

Photos:

YhcNmIG.jpg

5az17At.jpg

qQQNjjn.jpg

Thanks all!

g.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, geneb said:

Along with the 7800 I posted about earlier, I've also got a 1400XL that I'm trying to value.  I have no clue what it's worth, but from past discussions I've seen, it's somewhere between "a lot" and "I'll trade you my first born for it". :D

I'd like to get an idea a bit more concrete than that. :)

Photos:

YhcNmIG.jpg

5az17At.jpg

qQQNjjn.jpg

Thanks all!

g.

What you got there is gram-by-gram, byte-for-byte possible the BEST XL (in keyboard-computer form) ever conceived.

In an open, auction. you should easily expect $5,000 to $7,500, with confidence (assuming, of course, it is WELL TAKEN CARE OF, well preserved, and fully operational).

If I were you, I would NOT sell it under ANY circumstance, and (if you do), you better pick / scan for solid / serious buyers.

There you have it.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

For me, it is simply worth the joy of using and caring for it. As for insane ebay or so called collector value, hell list it for $100,000.00 dollars

people are simply out of their gourds over what they will 'invest' in these days. Buying at the top of the market is not exactly how to do that... but hey if they insist :)

I still think it is much better if the things go to homes where they are lovingly used and cared for so they don't die in a box never providing an ounce of use in their intended roles they were designed for.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, geneb said:

Ooof.  Thanks for the info.  Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. :D  I should probably procure a power supply for it and see if it works.

g.

I can't predict the future but I don't see this retro furver lasting forever and I suspect this is around one of the best times to sell something like this to get the best price possible. Could the value go up? Sure, but as those who grew up with stuff like this, there is a point where they retire and interesting in having a collection might not be as important so might as well sell it while there is interest from the community.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

I can't predict the future but I don't see this retro fervor lasting forever and I suspect this is around one of the best times to sell something like this to get the best price possible. Could the value go up? Sure, but as those who grew up with stuff like this, there is a point where they retire and interesting in having a collection might not be as important so might as well sell it while there is interest from the community.

I think this is correct. And, that's a beautiful system.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

I can't predict the future but I don't see this retro furver lasting forever and I suspect this is around one of the best times to sell something like this to get the best price possible. Could the value go up? Sure, but as those who grew up with stuff like this, there is a point where they retire and interesting in having a collection might not be as important so might as well sell it while there is interest from the community.

It's going to boil down to selling it keeping it in my collection.  I never started out being interested in Atari stuff, but now I find myself with a lot of it.  I think right now I'm at 3 Atari 400's, 2 or 3 800's, a PAL 800XL, a NIB 600XL, a boxed 65XE and a boxed XEGS.  Plus I think there's probably four 1050 drives and I think I recall seeing an 810.  I've also got what I've been told is an un-released version of De Re Atari.  The person that I got all this stuff from did 8 bit game development and also worked at Atari Coin-Op.

I sourced a three rail power supply and the right DIN connector, so if nothing else I'll know if the machine works or not. ;)

g.

1 hour ago, Justin Payne said:

Very hard to predict. There will be a decline in the number of people who know what to actually do with 1980s computers but the 1400XL is so rare it is imho very unlikely to lose value long-term as long as the number of people wanting a "complete" Atari collection exceeds the number of units built (or some of them build stacks of 1400s). This might be different for "ordinary" Ataris.

• Like 1

So if one sold for 5K ten years ago when the A8 market was a lot lower...    If you do ebay it, be sure to publicize the auction around different retro computer forums and sites.   IMO it needs a full test to see if it works since it's not a development prototype but a release prototype.  

As far as future market prices, it's all going up. I disagree with the notion that prices will collapse when our generation starts to die off in earnest.  Ten years from now it will be worth a lot more than today unless Atari finally finishes the design and releases the 1400XL.

8 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Atari finally finishes the design and releases the 1400XL.

What would happen to the prices of original hardware if someone came up with 1:1 reproduction? Only recently we got here new motherboards for 800XL and XE computers, there are new keyboards in the work too. I know that making new molds for plastic cases is very expensive, but it isn't impossible. What would happen if someone make a short run of completely new 1400XL?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

What would happen to the prices of original hardware if someone came up with 1:1 reproduction? Only recently we got here new motherboards for 800XL and XE computers, there are new keyboards in the work too. I know that making new molds for plastic cases is very expensive, but it isn't impossible. What would happen if someone make a short run of completely new 1400XL?

Knowing how irrational people can be, the price of a 1400 would go up even more as a repro would just attract more attention.

That's crazy money. There can't be THAT many people willing to drop $5k+ just to have one.

I would be worried something might happen to those few people on Earth, so I would sell it. It serves no useful purpose to own one.

Edited by R.Cade

27 minutes ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

Knowing how irrational people can be, the price of a 1400 would go up even more as a repro would just attract more attention.

Of course, if you're going to make a short run of anything.... 1450xld, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Wow! Impressive.  As a lifelong aircraft electrician, I have to say that is a very nice wire job.  The string tie is very nice.  Believe it or not, I still use string tie on a lot of my home wiring (automotive) projects.  I use zip ties as well, but nothing like old string tie. 

Thanks!  I LOVE using waxed lacing cord.  It makes for a much better wiring harness IMO.  I'm pretty sure I've got enough if various widths that it will last me until the heat death of the universe. ;)

g.

31 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

That's crazy money. There can't be THAT many people willing to drop $5k+ just to have one.

I would be worried something might happen to those few people on Earth, so I would sell it. It serves no useful purpose to own one.

Since it doesn't lose value, it's an investment.  Important to ascertain it's market value and not pay over that.