IGNORED

Atari 2600 book recommendations (especially for games/reviews)

Wyluli Wolf

I have a bunch of video game systems and utilize an Everdrive for most of them.  Since the cartridge just displays a list of games, I like to pull out my books (such as the Ultimate Guide to the NES), or whatever book goes with the system I'm playing, and go through the games/reviews to pick one out to play.

I have the Harmony cart for the Atari and wondered if anyone can recommend a book for Atari 2600 games that includes descriptions, screenshots and reviews?
I have this book, but would need to spend $30 bucks each to get the other 5 volumes (which I may plug away at over time).  If you can recommend any others I'd appreciate it.  I prefer physical copies vs ebooks.
418v46WZ7rL._SX367_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 4/23/2021 at 9:54 PM, bcombee said:

See the book "ABC to the VCS" from Rolenta Press for a nice capsule guide to the 2600's output.  It was last updated in 2005, but has a lot of really useful material. http://www.rolentapress.com/

Herman does a good job in cataloging all the known games (up to 2005), but it is just that--a catalog and fairly short descriptions of the games by category.  It is worth having, but does not contains tips/tricks/strategy on how to actually play the games. It is somewhat outdated now.  Don't know what happened to Herman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Herman does a good job in cataloging all the known games (up to 2005), but it is just that--a catalog and fairly short descriptions of the games by category.  It is worth having, but does not contains tips/tricks/strategy on how to actually play the games. It is somewhat outdated now.  Don't know what happened to Herman.

Leonard is still around. He is fairly active in certain Atari related FB groups. I know he is currently in the process of getting ready to move. 

18 minutes ago, groundtrooper said:

Leonard is still around. He is fairly active in certain Atari related FB groups. I know he is currently in the process of getting ready to move. 

He's on AA as well (user "rolenta").  ABC to VCS is good for brief reviews. Prior to this book, I used a similar book (The Midnight Tiger). I tend to like these types of books.  For me, each book provides enough info to help you decide if a certain game is worth getting/playing.

Books.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rolenta said:

Yes, I am still around. My book on videogame history, Phoenix, is now in its 4th edition. And all of my articles can be found at thegamescholar.com

Great book?  I picked up my copy at Digital Press Videogames in Clifton NJ.

3FAC246C-A5D5-45E8-90CA-95B5558CA73B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, TheVgaTv said:

If you are looking for a digital version of my series, I do have a complete collection on Kindle for $14.99.  It's somewhere north of 1,650 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RMP2GWZ

I just need volume 2,4 and 5 to complete the physical collection of this set :)  That kindle set is a heck of a deal though!  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, sramirez2008 said:

He's on AA as well (user "rolenta").  ABC to VCS is good for brief reviews. Prior to this book, I used a similar book (The Midnight Tiger). I tend to like these types of books.  For me, each book provides enough info to help you decide if a certain game is worth getting/playing.

Books.jpg

IMO The Midnight Tiger is not a recommendation.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter