IGNORED

Jaguar OEM Power Supply issue

Hemi88

Hello all,

My brother is shrinking his collection and gifted me his  Jaguar along with some games and a universal power supply. I have truly been enjoying the games on the system (Tempest, Raiden and Cybermorph). During gameplay I noticed a whistling sound which is coming from the unit. After some searching through the forum I found that this is something that occurs with earlier versions of the console. I grew accustomed to the noise but wanted to pick up an official power supply. So the power supply arrived today and I plug it in and the system does not power on. On the forum it was stated that a Sega 1602 power supply will work to power on the unit. I have two separate Model one's with 1602 power supplies both of which I tested and worked on my Genesis but not on the Jaguar. I went one step further and used the Jaguar PSU on my Genesis and it also powered on. So I am still using the universal PSU for now and was curious if anyone has experienced this before or has any troubleshooting tips? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

Do you have a game in it when testing?

Hello, Thanks for the reply. Yes I have my copy of Tempest in while testing, contacts are clean as the unit immediately powers on when I swap the power supply to the universal one. The issue just seems to be limited to both my 1602's and the OEM Jaguar power supply that I received in the mail today. 

1 minute ago, oakcitycomics said:

If you are testing it with a game cart then that one is new to me. BUT with that said its possible someone replaced the barrel plug at some point in its life and the sizing is off. Measure the univerasl PSU plug see if its 5.5x2.5

Now that I am looking at it I think that may be the case, it seems to be off by a little less than a mm. Thanks for your help!

8 minutes ago, oakcitycomics said:

If you are testing it with a game cart then that one is new to me. BUT with that said its possible someone replaced the barrel plug at some point in its life and the sizing is off. Measure the univerasl PSU plug see if its 5.5x2.5

Check the polarity too - not very likely, but maybe the Jaguar was modded to suit the replacement PS.

Also - the RF unit in the Jaguar does make a hissing noise.  My M series is much louder than my K.  Sounds like air coming out of a leaky compressor.

3 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

Check the polarity too - not very likely, but maybe the Jaguar was modded to suit the replacement PS.

Also - the RF unit in the Jaguar does make a hissing noise.  My M series is much louder than my K.  Sounds like air coming out of a leaky compressor.

The famous hissing sound comes from the coil. You can replace it if it really bothers you but there really is no reason to do so 

1 minute ago, Lost Monkey said:

That is reassuring to hear, also have an M series myself and that is what I hear. I'll check polarity tomorrow when I can get to my multimeter and will post once more if there is any variance. Appreciate the assistance. 

I was able to remove the coil wine on my Jaguar by using a different filter cap. I reported the issue to Console5 just after recapping my jag and the noise was suddenly there when it hadn't before. Turned out that some model jags require different ESR value caps or else the coil whine/hiss will be present. After installing the replaced cap, the noise went away.

As to the power supply I'm confused..

You have a universal PSU and it works fine on the Jag correct?

You have two different model 1 PSUs for use on the Genesis and those work in the Genesis systems but the Jag won't power on with them?

You are able to power the Genesis systems with the universal PSU you are using with your Jag as well?

If all of that is true, then the barrel jack isn't the issue because then the universal PSU jack wouldn't fit into the Genesis as the center post in the plug would be too wide for him to use the universal PSU with it. My guess is the polarity but if that were the issue, then using the Genesis PSU would have likely damaged the Jag as there isn't any polarity protection in the Jag. 

I can tell you for a fact that a Genesis psu can be used on a Jaguar as I use one with mine and have for over 15 years now. I do have an OEM jag suppy I have on my Jag CD. But the specs between those adapters is identical and in fact they are even in the same molded housing style. Leading me to believe that the same supply was used between those consoles with just different labels applied to the Jag ones to have the Atari logos on them.

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I was able to remove the coil wine on my Jaguar by using a different filter cap. I reported the issue to Console5 just after recapping my jag and the noise was suddenly there when it hadn't before. Turned out that some model jags require different ESR value caps or else the coil whine/hiss will be present. After installing the replaced cap, the noise went away.

As to the power supply I'm confused..

You have a universal PSU and it works fine on the Jag correct?

You have two different model 1 PSUs for use on the Genesis and those work in the Genesis systems but the Jag won't power on with them?

You are able to power the Genesis systems with the universal PSU you are using with your Jag as well?

If all of that is true, then the barrel jack isn't the issue because then the universal PSU jack wouldn't fit into the Genesis as the center post in the plug would be too wide for him to use the universal PSU with it. My guess is the polarity but if that were the issue, then using the Genesis PSU would have likely damaged the Jag as there isn't any polarity protection in the Jag. 

I can tell you for a fact that a Genesis psu can be used on a Jaguar as I use one with mine and have for over 15 years now. I do have an OEM jag suppy I have on my Jag CD. But the specs between those adapters is identical and in fact they are even in the same molded housing style. Leading me to believe that the same supply was used between those consoles with just different labels applied to the Jag ones to have the Atari logos on them.

Hello and thanks for the reply got to check polarity and the first image is for the universal psu (9v) and the second for the Jaguar psu (12v) the third is for Genesis 1602 (13v). I’ve read that it’s okay for them to be in that range but not certain.

FD9DEEA5-BB7A-4A75-93B9-A21505C4A426.jpeg

6E2CF0C9-5984-4FC6-B1EB-1F9DF30D6625.jpeg

15E965FC-7023-451D-9D2A-F489606BD035.jpeg

Yes the outputs on the original PSUs was always more than the rated. Once they are plugged into the console and have a load on them, they drop down to a more normal around 10 - 9v on average to the actual regulators inside.

And we can see that he polarity has to be correct as your are using the probes on each in the same manner and not getting a - voltage reading.

I'm not sure what is going on but it could be just the way the pics were taken, but it looks like the actual plug in portion of the barrel jack on the universal is longer than it is on the other two? If that is the case, then I wonder if you just have a worn out power port on the jag and the longer reach of the universal supply is making a good connection but the other two can't quite reach in far enough to work?

BTW as your universal is reading 9.2v I'm wonder if that is a modern switching PSU? Could be part of the reason for the coil wine as well.

WHOA that universal is NOT putting out enough current to run the jaguar properly. So you shouldn't even be using that one to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes the outputs on the original PSUs was always more than the rated. Once they are plugged into the console and have a load on them, they drop down to a more normal around 10 - 9v on average to the actual regulators inside.

And we can see that he polarity has to be correct as your are using the probes on each in the same manner and not getting a - voltage reading.

I'm not sure what is going on but it could be just the way the pics were taken, but it looks like the actual plug in portion of the barrel jack on the universal is longer than it is on the other two? If that is the case, then I wonder if you just have a worn out power port on the jag and the longer reach of the universal supply is making a good connection but the other two can't quite reach in far enough to work?

BTW as your universal is reading 9.2v I'm wonder if that is a modern switching PSU? Could be part of the reason for the coil wine as well.

Yeah, when oakcity had mentioned to look at the barrel plugs I did find that the length is slightly longer on the metal piece for the universal psu vs that of the Jaguar and Genesis. That makes sense and It is a modern switching psu my brother had picked it up when he got the unit as it didn’t have a power supply then. I am guessing it is a worn out port as well. I took a picture below. On the right is the universal and to the left of that is the OEM Jaguar supply. Thanks for the help on this Crossbow. 

4CB429DC-215B-4835-88C3-010BA2B7DED5.jpeg

So I did some more troubleshooting, I happened to have another one of the same universal PSU's as I had one in my bin of spare's that I got with a SNES jr a while back and that powered the Jaguar as well. I found a third 1602 and ended up splicing the connector of the universal PSU to the 1602 to see if that would power the unit and got nothing on the Jaguar but the Genesis powered up just fine with it. I did open the unit and believe some work has been done on it. I did not see the last part of your post about avoiding use of the universal PSU until I had done much of this troubleshooting. I have read about issues with voltage regulators and I'm curious if that may be the issue. I am at a bit of a loss at this point. Would anyone know of someone that I can ship the unit out to to get it looked at? Thanks again for all of your help on this.