IGNORED

Knight Guy: Quest for Something.

vhzc

Hi guys.

I Want to share my new game project: Knight Guy: Quest for Something.

It's a Zelda-like game where you fight enemies and bosses, avoid perils and get items needed to open new areas.

It's in a really early development stage (I started to programming it in april 10) but there is a demo playable rom to test its mechanics and such.

I have only tested it on a7800 emulator and since it's the first rom release be warned: it probably contain bugs.

Testing and feedback would be highly appreciated.

KnighGuyQuestDemo01.a78

1492451634_Capturadepantalla_2021-04-19_15-39-35.thumb.png.580c39824930e1ac8393d4247a101c50.png

1977759234_Capturadepantalla_2021-04-17_23-57-33.thumb.png.779491fafc10c71fb506bea0ae4e2d5f.png

1842235947_Capturadepantalla_2021-04-18_00-01-58.thumb.png.7456a47503f6f102d44330a6e1e1cc41.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Only had a brief playing, but so far so good.   Looking forward to more thorough playing over the next couple of days.

Love you're sticking with Knight Guy, yet he always gets a fresh and multiple different renderings among many titles, in your excellent line-up of games.

• Like 4

@vhzc Noticed that there are shadows under the orbiting rocks around the first boss. But the boss itself doesn't have any shadows under him? Is he supposed to be on the ground already and moving or floating as his orbiting beaters are?

• Like 1

I Feel Kinda Deadish

I'm Not Okay

Leave Me Alone

What a great start!  Both 'bosses' posed a bit of a challenge, but nothing too tough. Admittedly, "stones" was harder than "hot head" (The former requiring a bit bit more patience and more precise timing than the latter).  Plenty of (HP) life though and there may be too much replenishment available.  Though, I know it is very early. 

After acquiring the Strong Gauntlet, and then circling back to the same room where the key was obtained, thought there might have been a bug when the chest reappeared.   However, it correctly identified that time around as being "Empty".  Very nice.

End Of Demo

Thanks For

Playing

Thank *you* for the demo.

P.S.  I also enjoyed seeing the new challenge take place after the key was acquired from what once was a relatively dormant screen.  My favorite thing is what appears to be a chomping plant.  I was waiting for it to call Knight Guy, Seymour, and ask to be fed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

I Feel Kinda Deadish

I'm Not Okay

Leave Me Alone

What a great start!  Both 'bosses' posed a bit of a challenge, but nothing too tough. Admittedly, "stones" was harder than "hot head" (The former requiring a bit bit more patience and more precise timing than the latter).  Plenty of (HP) life though and there may be too much replenishment available.  Though, I know it is very early. 

After acquiring the Strong Gauntlet, and then circling back to the same room where the key was obtained, thought there might have been a bug when the chest reappeared.   However, it correctly identified that time around as being "Empty".  Very nice.

End Of Demo

Thanks For

Playing

Thank *you* for the demo.

P.S.  I also enjoyed seeing the new challenge take place after the key was acquired from what once was a relatively dormant screen.  My favorite thing is what appears to be a chomping plant.  I was waiting for it to call Knight Guy, Seymour, and ask to be fed.

Thanks for testing-

Yeah, hot head was too easy, I tweaked it a little.

Also replaced stairs with teleporters.

481684035_Capturadepantalla_2021-04-24_17-35-30.thumb.png.e74ccb56fafdf489e727a43af375f74f.png

2127387694_Capturadepantalla_2021-04-25_00-03-10.thumb.png.4d7499835da0801f5128cef7f5493f18.png

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

I know it's extremely early, but are there plans to incorporate music during gameplay?

Really exciting work so far!

I'd like to add some music, yes. But is not my priority. So it will depend of the remaining space once I finish the rest of the game.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Loving the feel of this game so far. The main character moves at a perfect speed from one side of the screen to another, nothing feels laborious, and the mechanics are all very intuitive. 

I personally like the sword mechanic, though I'm sure some will prefer the sword being "swung" once per button push to attack. But I like the idea that he can run around with the sword extended, and ram into enemies, joust style! It's a bit more unique and is in sync with the other "Knight Guy" games. 

Gameplay wise, one of the first things I noticed is that the Knight Guy runs into most object to "activate" them. One of the first instances of this is the lever early on:

446337686_LeverInteraction.thumb.png.eec3c1f9f73368bc156c89c6eb87bacc.png

For certain interactions - such as this one and "opening the chest" - it may provide a more interactive player experience to have to push a button to "open" or "activate". I am not sure if the 7800's 2nd button is going to be used for other "objects" later, but if not, perhaps Button 2 can be an "interact" button, where the main character can open/activate/talk to other characters. And if Button 2 is going to be used for something else, the sword button can just be used to activate special objects/items.

Skull.thumb.png.988ced26ea2e71b199291987b7866444.png

Just had to say - love this guy. ^^^

1655944727_Enemy1.thumb.png.9b0a2f1ad8bd9ebbea1a168f1794ca34.png

Once the player gets the sword, this flying enemy ^^^ can be taken down with one hit, which makes sense. He's one of the first enemies you encounter, and you can see what your new weapon can do. 

Snake.thumb.png.1b4452ca99956414b66e482efa087da4.png

But then when you get back to this Snake guy, what if he's the first enemy that takes multiple blows to kill? It wasn't immediately clear to me when other enemies later that took multiple hits to kill could be killed at all. This Snake character is perfect because he's acting as a sort of wall, so the player would intuitively try to keep moving forward until voilà - he's done. 

1112766022_Enemy2.thumb.png.ce090fa4eaea34a94c19d6a54f2e25f5.png

Then when you run into the more advanced blue version of this dude ^^^, you know it's going to take a few hits.

50497324_Hotheadladder.thumb.png.a804b140df78797451936e73b84a84ea.png

After defeating Hothead, this ladder pops up that was "beneath" him, but it might make more sense to appear somewhere else on the screen? Or have a activation button beneath Hothead that "reveals" the ladder somewhere else on the screen? It is a bit disorienting as to what just happened when you defeat this mini-boss, then immediately go down a ladder taking you to a new area. 

Spikey.thumb.png.dc9d66194c8d1b22d100c3910151f1cc.png

Lastly, this spikey enemy is clipping through the bottom boundary. ^^^

And that's about all the feedback I have so far! Really incredible work so, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that this is one of the most exciting homebrew concepts/titles I've seen in a really long time on the 7800. Looking forward to the next demo. Great stuff! ?

Snake.png

Edited by aaron1677
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...