IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

Ok.. this is exactly was I was thinking of.  Thank you!  While I'm not new to electronics, soldering, etc., sourcing parts to create my own kit is as well as building out / repairing Ataris.  Any thoughts on why Mouser vs. say Digikey? 

Looking at the file, it seems the examples needs to be more completely filled out so an order could be done from maybe Mouser, Digikey, whatever?  Maybe others can contribute to this BOM to get it 100% completed?  A few more questions about the BOM if I may:

- For the "circular DIN connector", I don't understand your note of "Caution you must use only this special pcb layout connector here"

- For the 41464 RAM, I thought this PCB was all new to avoiding the high counts of little chips.  If so, why not buy from Mouser/Digikey/etc?  I assume this part is NOT needed for the 512K option (what I'm going for)

- For the GAL part, I assume you mean a programmed part from Ebay.  Can you give me a good search phrase here so I can find the right part?  Any recommended sellers?

- You have listed five parts that are "already" on the board.  Does this mean you're already soldering some surface mount or thru-hole parts to the "bare" PCB when you ship?

- For the 204 sized thin metal resistor, you mention "caution about the body size".  Not sure what this means nor why can't the BOM just standardize on one size for all say be it this 204 or the 207 sized parts listed in the beginning?

- Maybe it would be good to add the Best part numbers for the various Atari VLSI chips too?  ( I have bought from Best before though)

- What is the benefit of the RAM battery backup?  This isn't an RTC.  Would this be that if you power off your 130xe and then turn it back on, it's EXACTLY where it left off?

Also, since ordering passive components come in minimum quantities, might there be an option here just to buy a kit from you?  I totally get that the answer would be a NO here since it's a lot more work for you to create kit bags but I don't know what other people would do with all the leftover unused parts.

Anyway.. thanks again for this project!  Should be a fun project for many of us!

Although this is not a technical thread, I give some  short answers staying οn the subject, without  too much detail. 

For the "circular DIN connector", I don't understand your note of "Caution you must use only this special pcb layout connector here"

Use the specific part number code as it look in the "Examples" row.

For the 41464 RAM, I thought this PCB was all new to avoiding the high counts of little chips.

The two needed drams memory ic's can be purchased here , for 6.5$ per 4 pieces

I assume this part is NOT needed for the 512K option (what I'm going for)

I really don't know. I designed this board to work exact as the original one from Atari. All the other upgrades here is optional.

For the GAL part, I assume you mean a programmed part from Ebay.  Can you give me a good search phrase here so I can find the right part?  Any recommended sellers?

You must have a programmer in your possession and the knowledge to program such a PLD.   Ebay examples

You have listed five parts that are "already" on the board.  

My mistake, nothing is onboard.

For the 204 sized thin metal resistor, you mention "caution about the body size".  Not sure what this means nor why can't the BOM just standardize on one size for all say be it this 204 or the 207 sized parts listed in the beginning?

I use two different body size resistors, referred as 204 and 207.  I use for each one a specific part number from Mouser. Based on this you can search , find and order all the rest.

What is the benefit of the RAM battery backup?

The contents of memory are preserved when you switch off your Atari. But this is an optional feature, you don't need to add it if you don't need it.

Maybe others can contribute to this BOM to get it 100% completed?

I consider the BOM complete for the passive components. As I said from the beginning of this project, this is for someone who have in his possession a donor Atari XE. 

I hope that someone else with more free time than me, will make a complete ready basket, to order from some of the major supplier.

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1

Hello Atari_bbs_fan

50 minutes ago, santosp said:

I assume this part is NOT needed for the 512K option (what I'm going for)

I really don't know. I designed this board to work exact as the original one from Atari. All the other upgrades here is optional.

Do you want a computer with NO main memory or just 16kB of main memory?

Expanded memory is always accessed from (a piece of software in) main memory.  So you need enough "main memory" to run the software to access expanded memory.

BTW soldering in the hardware for main memory takes up hardly any time when compared to the soldering that has to be done to get all the other stuff (soldered) in.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Hello santosp,

This is Richard Balkins (so you can correlate it to the Paypal transaction).

I initially sent 50 euros to you. I would prefer my unit to be fully populated as I don't know all the components I would need for it to be a fully functioning motherboard. Those additional costs, I'll willing to send over paypal as soon as there is some idea of what that would cost. Of course, I'm in NTSC land so the parts needs to be that of U.S. market. I am not sure how easy it will be to hunt down an atari 130xe.

19 minutes ago, Wildstar said:

I would prefer my unit to be fully populated as I don't know all the components I would need for it to be a fully functioning motherboard. Those additional costs, I'll willing to send over paypal as soon as there is some idea of what that would cost. Of course, I'm in NTSC land so the parts needs to be that of U.S. market. I am not sure how easy it will be to hunt down an atari 130xe.

I have no access to buy custom ic's and connectors of the Atari. So the only who I can do for you is to built a non complete board. This can have only the passive components and ic sockets, and every other ic can I buy from Mouser. I mean memory, logic ttl etc.

Is no need to find a 130 XE there, the 65XE I think is enough for you. As US citizens, also have the two major Atari suppliers available there, so I think isn't so difficult to find the needed exclusive Atari parts for this.

Edited by santosp

9 minutes ago, santosp said:

I have no access to buy custom ic's and connectors of the Atari. So the only who I can do for you is to built a non complete board. This can have only the passive components and ic sockets, and every other ic can I buy from Mouser. I mean memory, logic ttl etc.

Is no need to find a 130 XE there, the 65XE I think is enough for you. As US citizens, also have the two major Atari suppliers available there, so I think isn't so difficult to find the needed exclusive Atari parts for this.

Fair enough. Any of the non-exclusive Atari parts would be nice to have populated so all I have to do is populate the board with the Atari parts. It'll be fun.

Edited by Wildstar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I would be interested if someone put together a digikey or mouser cart for all of the non Atari parts. 

This is a basket from the Mouser. It include a alternative barrel type DC connector, rocker switch, 8 pin video connector, ps/2 mini din connector. Also logic ics, muxes, timer, op-amp etc.

It took me some hours to complete it. ?

Components Basket

Edited by santosp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

40 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

is this everything minus the Atari chips? 

Y1 - Y2 crystals, connectors, ports, 41464 drams, also isn't there. Also you need to remove the smd components, those of you who asked me to supply and solder them.

Do not wait to receive the pcb first and then order the components! For large suppliers the stocks change from moment to moment, and in the end the list will have to be reorganized again. This time, however, you will have to do it yourself.

So do it now!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, santosp said:

Y1 - Y2 crystals, connectors, ports, 41464 drams, also isn't there. Also you need to remove the smd components, those of you who asked me to supply and solder them.

Do not wait to receive the pcb first and then order the components! For large suppliers the stocks change from moment to moment, and in the end the list will have to be reorganized again. This time, however, you will have to do it yourself.

So do it now!

Good advice. Done and done.

Super excited for my enhanced 130XE kit!

2 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

What connectors are required that can be purchased as opposed to reused from an existing Atari 

I believe the cartridge/ECI right-angle card-edge connectors would be the hardest to find, I have found the following which may help.

http://www.kemax.com.tw/style/frame/templates1/download.asp?lang=2&customer_id=2229&name_id=95401&rid=2552&content_set=color_3

Except for the keyboard/SIO connectors the rest are not that difficult to find, the biggest issue is ensuring that the part has the correct PCB footprint as there are variations.

• Like 1