IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

Almost done assembling my bare board!!  Only missing a few components now.  Mouser had the Ferrites and 1.5k resistors on back order and 2 other components were listed as sent but I could not locate them in the when I got to the end of the parts.  Next time I will inventory before I start...

image3.thumb.jpeg.3a792611d92abb25a41394757d7e3b26.jpeg

The 2032 battery holder that is from the MOUSER.COM link above, seems to be the wrong size.  The holder mouser shows in the stock photo looks similar to what Panos had used on his board but what arrives is not the same.

2035362380_Batteryholder.thumb.jpeg.be5594a100368040f34bbc9da18dc541.jpeg

I have ordered 2 different ones to try out. The dimensions listed are a bit smaller than the one shown. 

MFR # 122-2512-GR

MFR # 122-2582-GR

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1

Maybe a couple dumb questions, but I will not know the answer until I ask. 

1) There are quite a few unlabeled vias around the board, is there a doc showing what some of those might be used for?

2) Is it possible to get the board design/layout in a searchable PDF?  So I can search for 220p for example and have it located on the PDF rather than searching the board with a magnifying glass.  My eyes are bad :)

3 minutes ago, venom4728a said:

Is it possible to get the board design/layout in a searchable PDF?  So I can search for 220p for example and have it located on the PDF rather than searching the board with a magnifying glass.

Although that would be super nice, I do think you are expecting too much with that request. Probably the best that can be hoped for is to just have the silk screen layer with IDs of the components on a vector based pdf image that can be zoomed without loss of detail.

14 minutes ago, mytek said:

Although that would be super nice, I do think you are expecting too much with that request. Probably the best that can be hoped for is to just have the silk screen layer with IDs of the components on a vector based pdf image that can be zoomed without loss of detail.

I was not sure if it was possible or not.  At work I use the search function in our pdf manuals to locate information, it works pretty well most of the time. :)

58 minutes ago, santosp said:

2. I was respond you via pm. The reason for pm is that  I do not want to confuse things between the two pcb boards here. What you will see in that file, refer only for the first 10 prototype boards.

By not responding here, now I'm a bit confused on the subject matter of the two versions of the board. Does version 1 have a different BOM from version 2, or is it just the boards that differ?

9 minutes ago, venom4728a said:

For the Y1 it mounts differently for NTSC and PAL or is that the same hole for both?

Same 2 upper holes if you use a crystal -2 pins-.

If you use a oscillator -4 pins- then both 4 holes.

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

By not responding here, now I'm a bit confused on the subject matter of the two versions of the board. Does version 1 have a different BOM from version 2, or is it just the boards that differ?

Mainly the boards.

9 minutes ago, santosp said:

Mainly the boards.

OK.

I noticed for my version 1 board that you included a file called "Corrections-Mnemonics for Assembly"; I'm guessing these corrections only apply to version 1 (since I see you haven't posted them in this thread), correct?

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

OK.

I noticed for my version 1 board that you included a file called "Corrections-Mnemonics for Assembly"; I'm guessing these corrections only apply to version 1 (since I see you haven't posted them in this thread), correct?

Yes, the minor corrections are only for the first run of boards.   The numbers in the word document also correspond to numbers on the .PNG file to show where the correction must be made on the board.

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, venom4728a said:

Almost done assembling my bare board!!  Only missing a few components now.  Mouser had the Ferrites and 1.5k resistors on back order and 2 other components were listed as sent but I could not locate them in the when I got to the end of the parts.  Next time I will inventory before I start...

image3.thumb.jpeg.3a792611d92abb25a41394757d7e3b26.jpeg

The 2032 battery holder that is from the MOUSER.COM link above, seems to be the wrong size.  The holder mouser shows in the stock photo looks similar to what Panos had used on his board but what arrives is not the same.

2035362380_Batteryholder.thumb.jpeg.be5594a100368040f34bbc9da18dc541.jpeg

I have ordered 2 different ones to try out. The dimensions listed are a bit smaller than the one shown. 

MFR # 122-2512-GR

MFR # 122-2582-GR

Looking good! Where did you source the cart/eci slots? And where did you get that neat mat under the board? 

16 hours ago, santosp said:

Very well! ?

As for the battery holder, the image of the product really confused me, as well as the fact that I did not pay much attention to the datasheet. I see that the correct part number is MFR # 122-2512-GR.

So the part in the original cart wont fit?

21 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Looking good! Where did you source the cart/eci slots? And where did you get that neat mat under the board? 

Here is the silicone mat.

Here are the Cart and ECI connectors.  IVOP posted this link earlier in the thread.  I purchased and received about 10 days later.  They fit perfectly.

Atari Joystick Ports.

7 Pin din power socket.

Sophia 2 16 pin connector.

CRYSTAL 14.31818MHZ for NTSC machines.

DVI Connector

Coin Cell battery holder.

Here are the GALS for the expanded memory.  Still waiting for these to arrive.

Keyboard connector I got from THEBREWINGACADEMY.COM

SIO Socket was new old stock on Ebay here. But, I do not see any more available.

• Like 1

I didn't even think about the DVI piece for the Sophia. I wish I had thought about that when I purchased the other parts. I was just going to use the board that came with the Sophia but it would be a lot neater to use the on board traces. It also sucks Digikey has one part and Mouser the other. Separate orders here we come LOL

Thanks for the links though, they are super helpful

10 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

I didn't even think about the DVI piece for the Sophia. I wish I had thought about that when I purchased the other parts. I was just going to use the board that came with the Sophia but it would be a lot neater to use the on board traces. It also sucks Digikey has one part and Mouser the other. Separate orders here we come LOL

Thanks for the links though, they are super helpful

Mouser may have both, I ordered them at different times so for me it didnt matter.

It is possible to desolder the connectors from the board that comes with sophia2.  I did it once, the dvi connector was easy.  The red connectors pin legs are not straight and solder likes to stay in place.   Plus the contacts can pull out of the connector pretty easily.  If they dont get bent up you can put them back in just as easily.    But for a few dollars its quicker and easier to buy new connectors.

Until this board I had only done soldering on small projects. A few wires here or there as needed. And they looked terrible but now after having lots of practice I feel I have greatly improved my soldering skill. :)

Now I want to tackle my 1088 board I have sitting in a tote with all the parts ready to go.  I was too afraid I would mess it up.

Got my board the other day, looks good.  Have a few questions..

Can UAV and VBXE be run at the same time, or is it one or the other?

Are there VBXE install instructions for this?  The normal 130XE installation is calling out a bunch of parts that need removing, not sure if parts needed to be removed, and if so, which ones.

I'm assuming the Video Setup 10pos header is for the VBXE connections, not sure which ones to connect to which.  I could back trace, and make some educated guesses, but if you have a list already, that would be better.. :)

Can Ferrite beads be reused from original 130XE MB?

My board arrived today! Time to get to work.

This is the largest project of it's kind that I've taken on. Can anyone recommend an order of assembly? I was thinking I'd start with all the low-profile passives, then the IC sockets and taller caps, then the larger connectors and switches.

Also, are there any components that can/ should be omitted if using an oscillator instead of the crystal?

There are jumpers below the the VBXE pins, from what I have gathered by using them.  You jump top row of 3 to middle row of 3 for stock atari video circuit.  Bottom row of 3 to middle row of 3 is UAV video circuit.  if think if you have no jumpers in place, then you can connect vbxe video output to the dual row of 5 pins, then vbxe signal will go to the atari video port.  I think you could leave UAV video but VBXE output would need a separate connector.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam242 said:

My board arrived today! Time to get to work.

This is the largest project of it's kind that I've taken on. Can anyone recommend an order of assembly? I was thinking I'd start with all the low-profile passives, then the IC sockets and taller caps, then the larger connectors and switches.

Also, are there any components that can/ should be omitted if using an oscillator instead of the crystal?

That is how I did mine.  

If you are setting it up for NTSC video you can skip these components.

1262280507_NTSCPCB.png.6fb37761f901a7118e40718d38d7c76c.png

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1