IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

I purchased 10 @ OKI M41464-10 off of ebay and none of them work.   I have been using the factory ram pulled from my Atari 130xe up until today when these arrived from CHINA.  I tried swapping them one at a time, change a top chip then a bottom chip, trying to boot in between each swap and the board did not boot until I put the factory ram back in.

So, Did I buy the wrong RAM, did China send me junk, or do I need to make a change on the board to use the 41464?

1103892321_M41464-10OKI.thumb.jpg.25911c868a12d35a848f86b7f5528967.jpg

Edited by venom4728a

8 hours ago, santosp said:

Fake maybe?

I bought from this seller, although now look that for some reason he not ship in Greece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293938013562?hash=item447012257a:g:T8wAAOSwYaNf8JQ5

It looks like this eBay seller charges a straight up $50USD for shipping, and that is on everything they sell on ebay.

8 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Well that doesn’t bode well. I don’t have any stock ram to test either so if mine turn out to be fake also I won’t know if that’s the problem or if it’s another part of my build. 

is there any way to test these? 

Hopefully the next set I get will work. Trying Jameco this time.

41464-10

Edited by venom4728a

I dug around in my boxes of parts and found 5 NEC D41464C-10 the machine booted up fine with that RAM too.   I tried the 10 OKI 41464-10 from CHINA again and no boot, they must be fakes.  I am disputing through EBAY right now with the seller. They asked for pictures of the machine not booting.  Not sure how the pictures will help them decide... Probably going to say " You are not wearing a grounding strap!  That is why those chips do failed to work!"  :)

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, santosp said:

:idea:Important Info:idea:

Completing today the assembly of a board from this last batch for a  buyer, I discovered something that I should inform you. This has to do with the "Basic rom" of the computer.

First of all I must to say that back then during the design, I was thinking about the difficulty that someone will face in the "seemingly" easy finding of the Basic rom, in case it does not have the original from a donnor Atari.

So I decided to make a change in the second and last version of the board, to give the option to someone to use a usual 27C64 or 128 or 256 or 512 eprom for this purpose. Now I realize that I made a small mistake regarding a signal, the pin Nr 2 of Basic rom. I have connect it to 5 volts.

So you need to follow the photo below to fix it.

So this board can not work using the custom Atari OTP rom, but with any 27C..... as desribed above.

Once again to apologize for my negligence .... ?

IMG_20210620_221541-1600.jpg

Am I reading this correctly? If we are using an original Atari ROM then this is NOT needed? 

2 hours ago, Atari_bbs_fan said:

Hello Santoshp,

Can we get a post that's pinned to the front of this thread highlighting the known errata to different versions of the board?

First version was shipped only to 9 persons. These have informed about the errata.

Second version have only this.

On 7/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, orpheuswaking said:

Am I reading this correctly? If we are using an original Atari ROM then this is NOT needed? 

So this seems to be in confusion.  Several people have asked the same question.   ?  Do you have to do the mod to use the original Atari OTP 24 pin chip?

7 hours ago, santosp said:

I have writing in previous post that..

"So this board can not work using the custom Atari OTP rom, but with any 27C..... as desribed above."

Please forgive us.  Sometimes we loose something in the translation between languages.  Sometimes the translation between the dialect of New England and the South of the US even though we supposedly speak the same English is worse. ?  I was trying to get my mind to a yes or no translation of the instructions. 

• Like 1

I was confused as well.  I can verify that you cannot use the original Atari factory basic rom, the mod has nothing to do with it.  If you want to use the factory rom, you would have to create an adapter to switch the pinout.  In order to use a 27Cx, you need to do the mod, it won't work otherwise.

One other note, I didn't want the battery backup, so I didn't order/install parts for it.  You need to jump pins 5-6 on the U12 footprint, otherwise no worky..

Edited by wildstar87
  • Like 2

Having an issue with programming my GAL22V10D with Horus's v1.3 jed.  I am getting a vector test fail indication on five of the 10 chips so far.  I tried re-downloading the jed individual file and the zipped file directly from his website.  My programmer claims it can program these chips and everything goes well until it attempts to verify the programming.  Is it possible I got bad/fake GALs?

2 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Having an issue with programming my GAL22V10D with Horus's v1.3 jed.  I am getting a vector test fail indication on five of the 10 chips so far.  I tried re-downloading the jed individual file and the zipped file directly from his website.  My programmer claims it can program these chips and everything goes well until it attempts to verify the programming.  Is it possible I got bad/fake GALs?

I had to disable the encryption.  I purchased 5 and only one of the 5 took the program successfully.

The five I purchased were used.   I have since purchased 2 new chips but have not tried to program them yet.

I have been looking at getting a newer programmer to see if that us my issue.

• Like 1