IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

Ok - only one plug, but when I connect only S-VIDEO on stock setting (no uav), screen is also blurred - when switch to UAV + S-VIDEO - all is OK.

I use cable from Lotharek and work fine on S-VIDEO on my other two Atari 65XE.

Another question, how work battery backup? I load some game, toggle power off / on and nothing was restored

xkabel.PNG.pagespeed.ic.ghl5-8ANfu.webp

check the standard video circuit for correctness etc (smoothing caps etc.) on the main/motherboard of the Atari...

also the lotherik s-video cable is poor... try one from hercules workshop.... much better. the UAV puts out a much better signal and handles noise/interference/reflections much better than the built in Atari circuits.

some quick pictures of those areas would help

Edited by _The Doctor__

@Santyago

The UAV add are there to give you the better video signal. Why dont forget the old one from Atari, and remain with this?

I think that the battery is to preserve data in the extended ram, but not in the base one. So isn't possible to boot your Atari with a game loaded. Please take a look here.

I redraw DVI circuit form main board and compare with original DVI board from Sophia 2

* missing TMDS Data Shield 0,1,2 (DVI pins 3, 11 & 19) - on original board is connected to GND

* missing TMDS Clock Shield (DVI pin 22) - on original board is connected to GND

* missing hot plug detect (DVI pin 16) - on original board is connected to +5V like pin 14

without this I have issue with detect video mode on iiyama prolite E2271HDS

Edited by Santyago
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Santyago said:

No Sophia2 compatibility connector to DVI?

Original board with DVI connector from Sophia2 has different connections instead on PCB

I use for the design what I found as connection between the two connectors in this file! There it describe what is included generally in a DVI connector, and which from these signals must be connected between the two connectors. I follow exact this. ?

Progress!

I suspected a bad FREDDIE since this was the only donor chip I could not test. A replacement from Best Electronics was ordered and my board now boots up as it should!

My stock video is quite blurry, similar to what @Santyago is experiencing, but UAV is nice and crisp, so I'm not going to worry about it.

After testing with jumpers in U34 socket at first, I have now flashed my GAL and installed the memory expansion. All is still happy.

Edited by adam242
more progress
  • Like 1

Sorry if I don't understand this great project.  Is this an updated version of the 130XE with the latest addons one can build?  I tried reading the whole thread but got overwhelmed.  This remake board fits in a 130XE or 65XE case with the ECI port? Also is there a website where one can buy this board?    

The board is a 130XE remake, that is mostly just a duplication, but also UAV has been added on board, as well as a 512k Ram upgrade, also a TK-II interface is available (not mandatory), which allows you to hook up a PS/2 Keyboard.  Technically it's remake of the 65XE, because it only has 64k Dram, if you don't use the 512k upgrade.  It does need a case with an ECI port.  Santosp only made a few runs of the board, supposedly some are also available through ABBUC, but I hadn't heard any info other than that.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:20 AM, Crc_Error said:

Thank you so much for your reply.  Absolutely great project.  Will look around to see if its still available.  But then if I do find it I'll need a case.....

And you need all the Atari Chips (Sally, ANTIC, POKEY etc.).

Panos batch is sold out, only official way of getting one is through ABBUC. If interested, check with @Yellow_Man, who runs the shop, if they´re still available.

When they´re gone, the only way to get one would be "second hand" via eBay etc.

After purchasing a TL866ii just for this project and successfully flashing the memory GAL and BASIC ROM, I was very disappointed to find this device won't program the PIC for the TransKey II expansion. If anyone here is able and willing to program this chip for me (I'll gladly pay for your time and return postage), please PM me.

15 minutes ago, adam242 said:

After purchasing a TL866ii just for this project and successfully flashing the memory GAL and BASIC ROM, I was very disappointed to find this device won't program the PIC for the TransKey II expansion. If anyone here is able and willing to program this chip for me (I'll gladly pay for your time and return postage), please PM me.

PM sent

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, santosp said:

Hi,

I am preparing to populate the board (during next 4 weeks) as PAL set-up

Is there an overview existing, which components are unnecessary for PAL?

I have only seen the "unnecessary for NTSC" list inside this thread

cheers

Michael