IGNORED

Atari XE Remake Pre Order Thread

santosp

Yes that USB blaster should be fine. You'll need to make a small adapter to flash it since I used a non-standard pin-out due to space. I made myself two: one with a header which required soldering pins to pokeyone and one with pogo pins which doesn't. Happy to do a write up if needed.

The latest firmware on my site is 1.23, though I just sent 1.25 to @Duddie. I'll upload it tonight.

Edited by foft

• 2 weeks later...

@santosp When looking at the circuit part for the PAL frequencies (around U21 74LS74 and Y2) I noticed that Inductor L8 in the original XE circuit diagram has a value of 15 uH. On your board this has a value of only 1.5 uH. Is this correct?

L18-1.jpg

L18-2.jpg

Edited by olix

• 3 weeks later...

PLease, can you explain why you used 2N4401 and 2N3906 and not the original transistor types (2N3904 and MPSA55)?

I'm asking, because i am restoring an old 800XE board with some bad transistors and asking me, if i can/should replace them with the types from your new XE PCB.

I would be very grateful for a brief explanation.

per the mytek discussions...

Changed Q2 to NPN darlington transistor (MPSA13) for the composite output, which gave additional isolation from S-Video luminance circuit. Also adjusted a few values to render a better picture. The MPSA13 is obsolete, although Jameco has over 3,000 of them in stock. However the currently manufactured BC517 should also make for a good substitute.

darlingtons are the way to go in Atari devices for the most part...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Hello Doc

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Changed Q2 to NPN darlington transistor (MPSA13) for the composite output, which gave additional isolation from S-Video luminance circuit. Also adjusted a few values to render a better picture. The MPSA13 is obsolete, although Jameco has over 3,000 of them in stock. However the currently manufactured BC517 should also make for a good substitute.

Could you at some point give us a recap (no pun intended) of which changes you made?

Sincerely

Mathy

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 6:11 AM, venom4728a said:

I have made it past initial power on stage. Mine powered up with clear video but no color.  I resoldered the components in the UAV circuitry and the connections feeding video to the UAV.  Now I have color and nice video.  My stock Atari video output blurry when checked.  I have not tested it again since I did the resolder work.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Santyago said:

1) stock setup + GTIA = i have blurred display and blue boot screen is little green. I'm trying adjust 500K resitor, but blue color show only at moment, next going black and white (screen 2)

On 9/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, adam242 said:

My stock video is quite blurry, similar to what @Santyago is experiencing, but UAV is nice and crisp, so I'm not going to worry about it.

If I disconnect the 100 ohm resistor to the right of Q4, stock S-Video is no longer blurry, but I do believe this breaks composite video.  I'm still working on tracing out where the problem is.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:46 PM, Panther said:

I've resolved the issue by replacing the 2N4401 transistor at Q3 with a 2N3904.  The problem is with the timings.

Edited by Panther
Apparently I can't operate the forum interface...
  • Like 4

@santosp In the ABBUC forum we has a discussion about the quality of the video-part of your xe pcb. (the original video part, not the uav):

https://abbuc.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4184#p4184

Some guys like to make the videosignal better with the super video mod, but this ist difficult, because there is no schematic of your board.

I know that you don't like to release the full schematic, but could it be possible to release at least the videopart of your schematic?

This would be a great help for finding mistakes and for building the super video mod.

1 hour ago, olix said:

@santosp In the ABBUC forum we has a discussion about the quality of the video-part of your xe pcb. (the original video part, not the uav):

Some guys like to make the videosignal better with the super video mod, but this ist difficult, because there is no schematic of your board.

I know that you don't like to release the full schematic, but could it be possible to release at least the videopart of your schematic?

This would be a great help for finding mistakes and for building the super video mod.

Skip the 10 µF tantalum capacitor though.

VideoFix.png

8 hours ago, olix said:

The standard video circuit of Atari added there for the copy fidelity only.

So I was not interested in making any additions or improvements, falsifying the original Atari video circuit.

Of this, half, which concerns the output of the composite video signal, is actually inside the modulator. Even those components, have been coppied 1:1 

If this is an Abbuc,  you can request the specific schematics from the member tf_hh here the Jurgen.  I think he has the same nick there also. I gave them to him a few days ago 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I could use one of those

I've redesigned the board to utilize the male adapter to connect with the 16-position connector used by Sophia 2, so the adapter itself doesn't need to be soldered in.  I'll let you know when the new boards arrive.

• Like 1