IGNORED

Geneve V2.00 Eprom

9640News

This is V2.00 of the Geneve Eprom replacing the V0.99 eprom beta released several weeks ago.  The version 2.00 Eprom requires the 4-19-2021 version of the TIPI eprom and the V2.23 PI update if you will have a TIPI in your system and plan on booting from the TIPI.

The Boot eprom provides support for booting from the Myarc HFDC, IDE controller, SCSI controller, TIPI, Horizon Ramdisk, and any floppy only controller.  The eprom will allow using the Geneve with the TIPI using no other file I/O device.

Please read the EPROM-DOC file in the included zip for for details to properly setup your system.

GeneveBootEprom200.zip

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The V2.00 has had limited confirmed testing feedback, but all indications it is good.  In the grand scheme, there were only two differences between the Version 2.00 and the earlier 0.99 beta.  One, there is a routine added that turns off all cards before trying to individually run their powerup routines.  And two, labels for the devices and file paths were moved further down in the code to give room to have a one byte difference at a specific location to designate a GenMod vs non GenMod system that some SCSI routines check.

I think it is about as stable as it can be.

Beery

• Like 5

I suggest to give it a few more weeks, and then I'll add it, just to make sure. It won't run away, as we use to say.

The point is that I have to add the CRC16 and the SHA1 hash to the Geneve driver, so when you change a single byte, you'll get a warning message.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I suggest to give it a few more weeks, and then I'll add it, just to make sure. It won't run away, as we use to say.

The point is that I have to add the CRC16 and the SHA1 hash to the Geneve driver, so when you change a single byte, you'll get a warning message.

There are two versions of that eprom in the zip file.  A stock geneve 2.00, and a 2.00M Genmod version.

Beery

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 9640News said:

And two, labels for the devices and file paths were moved further down in the code to give room to have a one byte difference at a specific location to designate a GenMod vs non GenMod system that some SCSI routines check.

The Genmod "byte" also determines the max page count for the memory test loop.   The memory test and SCSI routine check are the only two dependencies I am aware of.

3 hours ago, 9640News said:

@GDMike I saw your note in the Geneve Forth topic you changed out your eprom.  Are you booting from the TIPI yet?  What eprom are you using in your Geneve since you indicated you changed out?  The 2.00, 0.99 beta, or another version? 

Ahh. Yes. I am using your 2.00 but I haven't installed TIpi into this box yet, I might try later this week. I forgot to mention, I also changed my clock battery because I noticed I just changed the date two days ago and then yesterday I saw that the same date of 5/3 was posting.

Edited by GDMike

Sounds good.  I'm not sure it makes a difference, but before you install the newer TIPI eprom, update the PI software to the latest version.  I assume you have it setup in a TI system right now.  It should be on version 2.23 and I think I recall last seeing you were running 2.13.  

There were some PI updates more for the Geneve than the TI revolving around the Powerup routine.  In the 4A, it wasn't an issue as the 4A was slower, but for the Geneve, if you had no other controller cards present, the Geneve may try to access the TIPI before the PI was ready to accept file access.

1 minute ago, GDMike said:

Correction, my date was wrong again this morning at boot. It still shows the day before. The clock is correct though.

Strange. But I'll change the time to almost midnight and see if the date rolls.

I assume you are doing this, but if you are setting the clock in the evening, make sure you are using 24 hr time and not 12 hr time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Sounds good.  I'm not sure it makes a difference, but before you install the newer TIPI eprom, update the PI software to the latest version.  I assume you have it setup in a TI system right now.  It should be on version 2.23 and I think I recall last seeing you were running 2.13.  

There were some PI updates more for the Geneve than the TI revolving around the Powerup routine.  In the 4A, it wasn't an issue as the 4A was slower, but for the Geneve, if you had no other controller cards present, the Geneve may try to access the TIPI before the PI was ready to accept file access.

Yeah, I've got a new Tipi peb with latest eprom 2/24/21 I'll be pushing. But I'm waiting for another pi3+ to come in.

8 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Correction, my date was wrong again this morning at boot. It still shows the day before. The clock is correct though.

Strange. But I'll change the time to almost midnight and see if the date rolls.

Well the date rolled. So hmmm...

IMG_20210505_094601035.jpg

IMG_20210505_095254345.jpg

I'll look for another clock IC regardless. If possible to find, I might need to replace this one.

Ahh. One more test. I'll test the date rolls with power off this time.

Here's that. Ok. I need to quit tying up this post. Here's my boot up video. Ok, so far it looks clean. And the date rolled with power off. So Im not sure what happened overnight with the machine off. It's not making sense now. I'll try to find a clock.

Edited by GDMike

13 minutes ago, 9640News said:

You want the 4-19-2021 TIPI Eprom for the Geneve.

Sorry, oops. I was looking at my eprom container... I've already changed it out. I've got the 4/19 installed. I did that last night...

IMG_20210505_105316119.jpg

Edited by GDMike

• 2 weeks later...

As I never saw any output from the command, I suspect your system locked up?

OK, I see the issue.  You are not at CRU >1800.  You have the TIPI configured at a different CRU, likely >1000 from what I can see in your first video from today.  I had to blow the video up to full screen, and then I could see there the top two pins of the dip switch setting were not set.

• Like 1