IGNORED

(Re-)Introducing: the atari-background-builder (formerly splash-o-matic)

kisrael

It's not yet at version 1.0, but the atari-background-builder - https://alienbill.com/2600/atari-background-builder/ is probably the best tool yet for making playfield graphics or 48px splash screen images. 

(I just changed the name from "splash-o-matic"... I wanted to be more clear about what it does.)

Features Include:

• multiple kernel modes, each one providing ready-to-run source code... (batari Basic 48px splash screen via minikernel, bB DPC+, assembly non-reflected assymetric playfield... more coming)
  • sophisticated handling of scanline based color changes
  • gradient tool 
  • import from JPG/PNG etc images
  • section cut/copy/paste
  • NEW! save and load your work as a project

Here is a clumsy introductory video running over all the parts

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues (and is starting back up)

Minor change: it now describes the various kernels modes on offer (Assembly, batari Basic, DPC+, etc) as text.

In the next few weeks as we add more assembly modes (mirrored etc-- things that a finely tuned assembly program might find more useful!) the description will be more important.

Work continues (and is starting back up)

Minor change: it now describes the various kernels modes on offer (Assembly, batari Basic, DPC+, etc) as text.

In the next few weeks as we add more assembly modes (mirrored etc-- things that a finely tuned assembly program might find more useful!) the description will be more important.

Oh and in other cool news, an artist group in brazil is using my tools for some programming classes: https://sites.google.com/dad.puc-rio.br/semanadad20211/home

• Like 1

Added a new Assembly Playfield Mode: Asymmetrical Mirrored Playfield (already had Asymmetrical Reflected Playfield) 

Maybe not a super increase in utility, but a good box to check.

Next up will be Symmetrical (Mirrored, Repeated)

• Like 1

I swear I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan, but for some reason I feel like I'm channeling Ash Ketchum - where caught Pokemon = features (gotta catch 'em all) and the general wish to be the greatest Pokemon trainer (have the absolute best Playfield and Large Title Graphic Editor) in the world.

So, case in point: added an "ellipse" tool because I saw someone like it on a different editor, and it seemed like fun to make.

1181796629_ScreenShot2021-05-16at7_09_46PM.thumb.png.a320ae51bd038421c8013721e54db00d.png1265918837_ScreenShot2021-05-16at7_11_18PM.thumb.png.588b70cbe201344dcfdf98b0d44f485a.png

• Like 1

NOW! Supports variable scanlines per row, for the 4 assembly kernels

Probably a lot of projects don't have time to change the playfield every damn scanline,

and this support is important for making it a more serious tool, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago (yeesh!) @RevEng made The bB Titlescreen Kernel 

I am working to incorporate full-ish support for this in atari-background-builder... starting with the "48x2" minikernel (currently just one of the 3 "locations" for it)

This method should end up being MUCH easier to import images for than the previous steps using windows-only software.

Other fixes included a nasty undefined color bug fix, and some internal improvements to accomodate the new kernel types

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to have a titlescreen and then do something and press reset and have it go to another titlescreen?  I had been playing around with it and at first I thought it was something as simple as changing the name of the abb.asm but that didn't work so I assume there is more to it.  I was looking in the file but was not sure if there were any other changes one would have to make.

You can't have two Titlescreen kernels in the same project, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I made my simple splash screen kernel as something that could coexist with the Titlescreen kernel, which could be a splash screen before the title, or something like a game over screen. 

I'm not sure what you mean about the player background with the score, but you can't display anything else on the same lines as the score on a title screen, if that's what you meant. 

I don't know what I meant by player background. I think I was writing this down when my son was talking and some wires got crossed in my brain. lol  

What I meant was if the score could be activated on this titlescreen.  I figured you couldn't but didn't know if there was some way to.  Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I run an example program on the bB page and hit Select until I get the preset DFXFRACINC number of 32 (22 rows that are 8 scanlines high), I get a screen that looks like this:

zz_aa_dpc_screenshot.thumb.png.d7dd26475ec65177f2576572b21428a3.png

When I enter a height of 22 on your page, I get this:

zz_aa_atari_background_builder_screenshot.thumb.png.6764299f855a28a2219b2612d427f6b3.png

That's really scrunched down. Am I using the wrong number?

Would it be hard to have bB DPC+ presets to choose from on your page such as 176 rows that are 1 scanline high, 88 rows that are 2 scanlines high, 44 rows that are 4 scanlines high, 22 rows that are 8 scanlines high, and 11 rows that are 16 scanlines high? Example:

;***************************************************************
   ;
   ;  176 rows that are 1 scanline high except the top and bottom
   ;  rows (which seem to be 2 scanlines high). All of the colors
   ;  seem to be 2 scanlines high.
   ;
   DF6FRACINC = 255 ; Background colors.
   DF4FRACINC = 255 ; Playfield colors.

DF0FRACINC = 255 ; Column 0.
   DF1FRACINC = 255 ; Column 1.
   DF2FRACINC = 255 ; Column 2.
   DF3FRACINC = 255 ; Column 3.

;
   ;  88 rows that are 2 scanlines high.
   ;
   DF6FRACINC = 255 ; Background colors.
   DF4FRACINC = 255 ; Playfield colors.

DF0FRACINC = 128 ; Column 0.
   DF1FRACINC = 128 ; Column 1.
   DF2FRACINC = 128 ; Column 2.
   DF3FRACINC = 128 ; Column 3.

;
   ;  44 rows that are 4 scanlines high.
   ;
   DF6FRACINC = 128 ; Background colors.
   DF4FRACINC = 128 ; Playfield colors.

DF0FRACINC = 64 ; Column 0.
   DF1FRACINC = 64 ; Column 1.
   DF2FRACINC = 64 ; Column 2.
   DF3FRACINC = 64 ; Column 3.

;
   ;  22 rows that are 8 scanlines high.
   ;
   DF6FRACINC = 64 ; Background colors.
   DF4FRACINC = 64 ; Playfield colors.

DF0FRACINC = 32 ; Column 0.
   DF1FRACINC = 32 ; Column 1.
   DF2FRACINC = 32 ; Column 2.
   DF3FRACINC = 32 ; Column 3.

;
   ;  11 rows that are 16 scanlines high.
   ;
   DF6FRACINC = 32 ; Background colors.
   DF4FRACINC = 32 ; Playfield colors.

DF0FRACINC = 16 ; Column 0.
   DF1FRACINC = 16 ; Column 1.
   DF2FRACINC = 16 ; Column 2.
   DF3FRACINC = 16 ; Column 3.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, kisrael said:

I could consider it. (i've pivoted my attention away a bit)

I don't really have my head around the DF*FRANCINC stuff. 

Are there any games that take advantage of the multicolumn stuff in gameplay?

Seems like most people set the DF*FRANCINC column stuff to the same number. I don't understand any of it. I just know from the chart that 255 = 176 rows that are 1 scanline high, 128 = 88 rows that are 2 scanlines high, 64 = 44 rows that are 4 scanlines high, 32 = 22 rows that are 8 scanlines high, and 16 = 11 rows that are 16 scanlines high. Everything else can basically be ignored.

I should have left out the DF*FRANCINC numbers since they aren't needed for your page. The most important thing is letting the user change the height of the rows and it can just be all the rows at once. No need for the ability to change the height of individual rows.

If it could have these presets for bB DPC+ users, it would make it easier for them since they wouldn't have to look it up on the bB page every time:

176 rows that are 1 scanline high

88 rows that are 2 scanlines high

44 rows that are 4 scanlines high

22 rows that are 8 scanlines high

11 rows that are 16 scanlines high

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, kisrael said:

yeah that makes some sense. I have backburnered this but might try to bring it out to work on it a little

This is basically what I was talking about:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/323744-bb-playfield-editor-free-online-tool/

• 4 weeks later...

https://alienbill.com/2600/atari-background-builder/ - I added support for the DPC+ kernels 

Mostly I stuck with "A few examples" - https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_frac_rows

@Random Terrain -

is it worth me trying to stick in the asm language hacks for 88 and 176? I couldn't get it to work 

Here's where I tried to insert it

abbPFbBDPC.bas

I think that code is "right" in terms of top 6 lines, alternating red white blue red white blue, and with the asm hack

I was hoping for this at the top: (err, ignore the gray bar)

18585637_ScreenShot2021-09-06at7_20_33PM.png.58aef06835e642c22efa677e7474fbcc.png

but get

1600378210_ScreenShot2021-09-06at7_25_21PM.png.3d1784b69fd88c180446eca7f9b4a365.png

could that be related to the "DPC+ 176 rows and DPC+ 88 rows will not display properly without tricks developed by Lillapojkenpåön at AtariAge"

thing you mention? Should I try and build some hints on that into the editor?