Jump to content
fiddlepaddle

Pac Man Fever album art

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I though I'd post this in Classic Gaming General, but I guess it's not available anymore, so I'm just posting it here thinking this is where most people would be interested. 

 

I was looking through my record collection and noticed the inside sleeve for Pac Man Fever by Buckner & Garcia LP contains instructions on how to win the game:

 

Buckner & Garcia-1982-Pac Man Fever LP front.jpg

Buckner & Garcia-1982-Pac Man Fever LP inside sleeve front.jpg

Buckner & Garcia-1982-Pac Man Fever LP inside sleeve rear.jpg

Buckner & Garcia-1982-Pac Man Fever LP rear.jpg

Edited by fiddlepaddle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed it does; never tried to follow it tho.

 

Also, does anyone else like the closeup of the game monitor they used? You can almost see each glowing phosphor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the lyrics, they DO say they've got all the patterns down, up until the 9th key ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best album covers. I've got a nice copy that sits next to the Namco Collection album that got released a while back. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend had that album!   At the time I thought it had a lot of good songs on it.  But I'm not sure if they've aged very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Love this album. Back in the day, like 25+ years ago, prior to them re-releasing the album on CD (which is remastered and not the same BTW) I used to dupe a copy of the album on to cassette tape and sell it with my Atari auctions on eBay.  More than once I'd get hit up by people on the side just wanting a copy of the album. 

 

To this day I'm convinced neither Buckner nor Garcia ever actually played the game Frogger before writing the song Froggy's Lament. 

"Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy" ??? What the hell was that all about? I've played that game many times and I've never plucked anything!! 😉😁

 

Edited by moycon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, moycon said:

To this day I'm convinced neither Buckner nor Garcia ever actually played the game Frogger before writing the song Froggy's Lament. 

"Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy" ??? What the hell was that all about? I've played that game many times and I've never plucked anything!! 😉😁

On the 30th Anniversary release of the album (which includes commentary tracks), Jerry Buckner explains where that quote comes from.  It's a reference to "Froggy the Gremlin" from "Andy's Gang."

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 11:26 PM, pacman000 said:

Indeed it does; never tried to follow it tho.

 

Also, does anyone else like the closeup of the game monitor they used? You can almost see each glowing phosphor.

Yeah, you can see the shadow mask used on the monitor...

 

See kids, there were no scanlines for those arcade games!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They fundamentally misunderstood Centipede for sure. That spider was the personification of Internet trolls before they became a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, pacman000 said:

Listen & see: 

 

 

Download it with this website I have bookmarked as one of many downloading sites I have for all internet video platforms:

 

https://www.y2mate.com/en68

 

I already downloaded the album (in .mp4 form) and stream-recorded it off the line out jack of my PC onto my Sony MiniDisc recording Walkman and burned a CD of it years ago, it is essential to play while gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 1:56 PM, moycon said:

Love this album. Back in the day, like 25+ years ago, prior to them re-releasing the album on CD (which is remastered and not the same BTW) I used to dupe a copy of the album on to cassette tape and sell it with my Atari auctions on eBay.  More than once I'd get hit up by people on the side just wanting a copy of the album. 

 

To this day I'm convinced neither Buckner nor Garcia ever actually played the game Frogger before writing the song Froggy's Lament. 

"Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy" ??? What the hell was that all about? I've played that game many times and I've never plucked anything!! 😉😁

 

The CD re-release was not a remaster, it was a RE-RECORDING, and a bastardized attempt of recreating the original 1981 LP in which was far better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the LP.  Have not tried recording it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day,  I bought the album just to get the pattern sheet.  Still have the album.  At the time,  I studied and memorized the pattern that worked from like level 3 to whatever key. And yes,  it worked great.  I could almost always get through the first 2-3 levels on my own,  so didn't bother with that separate pattern. I figure being able to regularly get through 10 or 12 or whatever levels,  rather than 3 or 4 justified the expense of the album vs extra quarters that would have been spent. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 3:45 AM, BIGHMW said:

The CD re-release was not a remaster, it was a RE-RECORDING, and a bastardized attempt of recreating the original 1981 LP in which was far better.

They said they weren't able to get the rights to the original Columbia recordings, so they had to re-record everything from scratch for the 1999 CD.

 

Unfortunately, they seemed to ham it up a lot more on the re-recording, and the musicians weren't as good — listen to the simplified guitar solo in Ode to a Centipede, for example — so it's just not as much fun to listen to.  The lack of Mousetrap sound effects (they couldn't find a working cabinet, MAME wasn't emulating Mousetrap's sounds properly yet, and they didn't want or think to record any of the console ports, so they just recorded the sounds of actual dogs, cats, and pigeons) just makes it worse.  I think it would have been less painful to have no sound effects on Mousetrap than to have random pigeon noises.

 

I still love the original album unironically.  I have multiple copies of the MP3s so I don't lose them.  (I have no copies of the 1999 re-recordings)

Edited by Raiu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Raiu said:

They said they weren't able to get the rights to the original Columbia recordings, so they had to re-record everything from scratch for the 1999 CD.

 

I still love the original album unironically.  I have multiple copies of the MP3s so I don't lose them.  (I have no copies of the 1999 re-recordings)

Good for you!!! I also, once had the 1999 CD re-recording and it certainly is horrible compared to the OG 1981 version, I got rid on the CD when I found the MP3 (and also bought the vinyl) of the 1981 LP, but due to being unemployed at the time I ended up selling the LP a few years back but still had the MP3, in which I downloaded the YouTube video of it to get the audio off of it, I will later record it onto MiniDisc and burn a CD-R of it soon and use it along with a few late-70s/early-80s new wave albums I have copies of as a soundtrack to play my 4 Atari systems to, I highly recommend New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies (for "Blue Monday"), Mi-Sex - Graffiti Crimes (in which contains the original version of the worldwide 1979 hit "Computer Games"), and also M - New York-London-Paris-Munich (in which features the 1979 hit "Pop Muzik"), great gaming music if you ask me, but let your own imagination determine you playlists.

Edited by BIGHMW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...