IGNORED

Need PAL60 Testers for new homebrew - Mr. Yo-Yo

DaveM

Is anyone able to help test out a new homebrew on actual PAL60 hardware?  Just need to know if the colors are similar to the NTSC version, and the game's speed is good as well.  I've tested it on Stella, and it looks ok there, but would like to get an actual hardware test before we start making cartridges.  Thanks!

If you haven't some across this game in the Programming forum before, I've attached both the PAL60 and NTSC ROMs below, as well as the text draft of the game manual.  The original development thread can be found here:

PAL60_Screenshot.thumb.jpg.84f7ec27d20938e721472d85f80421fd.jpg

Mr_Yo-Yo_PAL60_FINAL_DIGITAL.bin Mr_Yo-Yo_NTSC_FINAL_DIGITAL.bin Mr Yo-Yo Game Manual_TEXT_DRAFT.docx

• Like 2

Hi, this is a fun game! Reminds me of Fishing Derby ?

I noticed that pushing RESET brings you back to the menu screen, which isn't standard behavior for Atari 2600 games.

Usually, the SELECT button is used to go back to the menu/select screen, and the RESET button is used to (re)start the game. Just check some classic games like Pac Man, Asteroids, Berzerk or Space Invaders, and you'll see that they use SELECT to let you select the game options. This also goes for homebrew games like Draconian, Galagon, Fall Down, Assembloids, etc.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I noticed that pushing RESET brings you back to the menu screen, which isn't standard behavior for Atari 2600 games.

Usually, the SELECT button is used to go back to the menu/select screen, and the RESET button is used to (re)start the game.

Thanks.  I'll make a note of that for future games.  The way the code is currently structured, this would be too difficult a change to make at this point.

4 hours ago, Voxel said:

Here is a comparison of the NTSC and the PAL ROM on a PAL 2600 Jr (long rainbow) on a CRT.

The PAL colors are looking good!  The NTSC colors are messed up, but I'm assuming that's expected from playing an NTSC format game on a PAL tv.  

4 hours ago, Voxel said:

Could test on an LCD TV if required.

If you could, just to make sure they're the same colors you're seeing on the CRT.  Thanks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaveM said:

The NTSC colors are messed up, but I'm assuming that's expected from playing an NTSC format game on a PAL tv.  

Agreed.

16 hours ago, DaveM said:
21 hours ago, Voxel said:

Could test on an LCD TV if required.

If you could, just to make sure they're the same colors you're seeing on the CRT.  Thanks!

Will do.

Forgot to add the colours are the same.  In the bottom right image for the LCD the colours were cycling as I pressed pause, where as in the CRT images I did not pause the game.

The game speeds appear similar between the CRT and NTSC.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...