IGNORED

different sizes of xbox 360 accounts

Swami

I'm just thinking about the day when microsoft quits supporting xbox 360 online access. I have one xbox 360 account that is connected to xbox live that is 800G and one that is offline that is 50G. However, both seem to have access to the same downloaded games. My question is whether I will still have full access offline to the 800G account (whatever that means) that is linked to an online xbox live account when xbox 360 online support ends or this 360 dies and I have to transfer my files to another xbox 360.

Hope this makes sense. Not much of a modern gaming guru.

Thanks

On 4/28/2021 at 12:33 AM, Swami said:

I have one xbox 360 account that is connected to xbox live that is 800G and one that is offline that is 50G.

I believe what you're talking about with the numerical values followed by G, is what's called "gamerscore" on Xbox systems. Each achievement that you unlock in Xbox 360, Xbox One, Series S/X, and select PC and mobile games has a numerical value attached to it. Your cumulative score is 800 on your Xbox Live connected account and 50 on your offline account.

However, both seem to have access to the same downloaded games.

If you've never connected the 50G account to Xbox Live, all your downloads are tied to the 800G account. As to why the 50G account also has access, Xbox 360 DRM that enables access to your downloads takes two forms. One way to gain access is to simply log into the account that made the purchases, such as if you log into your Xbox Live account on a family member's Xbox 360. The second form that also enables access to your downloads is how your 50G account has access.

On the Xbox 360, downloads are tied to the console that they were purchased from (Or has had the purchase license transferred to by going through the license transfer process). This enables offline access on that particular 360 and also opens access to those downloads to any account on that system. 

My question is whether I will still have full access offline to the 800G account (whatever that means) that is linked to an online xbox live account when xbox 360 online support ends or this 360 dies and I have to transfer my files to another xbox 360.

When Xbox Live support ends for the 360, your downloads will still work on that 360 until it dies (Assuming your downloads are tied to your current 360; An easy way to determine this if you're unsure is just go offline and see if your downloads are still working or if you're locked out of them when offline).

What you can't do if Xbox Live support for the 360 has been discontinued and your current 360 dies, is retrieve your games officially on a replacement 360. But many 360 games are backwards compatible with subsequent generations of Xbox hardware and assuming Xbox Live is still active on say the Xbox One, you simply log into your 800G account on the newer hardware and any of your 360 downloads that are backwards compatible will be ready to download on the newer hardware. 

If you're really worried, buy a second cheap Xbox 360, take your current console offline permanently, and then initiate the license transfer process on your new Xbox 360. Your 360 downloads will still work on the old 360 as long as it's never reconnected to the internet and your downloads will also now be on a second Xbox 360.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 1:55 AM, Atariboy said:

If you're really worried, buy a second cheap Xbox 360, take your current console offline permanently, and then initiate the license transfer process on your new Xbox 360. Your 360 downloads will still work on the old 360 as long as it's never reconnected to the internet and your downloads will also now be on a second Xbox 360.

I have a second xbox 360, as a backup, which I got new when they were cheap. If I take my current xbox 360 offline and store it, I don't suppose there is a way to copy/download all content including updates for my disc games all at once. Would I have to download all downloaded games and DLC and re-update all my disks individually? I know there is a data transfer method, but I think this deactivates anything on the console being copied over. 

Basically, what is the fastest way to have identical images on both of my consoles that are playable offline when done. I suppose looks like file sharing to MS, but it is just to have the games if my current xbox360 dies after support ends. Also, they are both Xbox 360 E's.

I know I could probably do something like JTAG to get everything after support ends and the console dies. However, I found things like DLC and updates to be a difficulty in multiple ways on my homebrewed Wii.

Not a way that I know of to officially copy all of that to another drive. For the more advanced and adventurous user, it probably could be done outside of Microsoft's terms of service by connecting the hard drive to a PC and cloning it. But I don't have the knowledge to help there or know what the potential pitfalls are.

Plus with the way the license transfer process works on the 360, even if the files are present on the hard drive, you still need to go through the motions to redownload your DLC via your download history in order to tie the licenses to the new 360 (The system will recognize the file is already on the HDD though and would just tie the license to the new system before moving on to the next download in the queue). So you wouldn't be saving any steps with your DLC anyways.

I did interface a Xbox 360 HDD to my PC once years ago with the transfer cable that MS would include when upgrading to a larger hard drive, but I didn't explore anything like this. All I did was delete a patch for a Codemasters game called Grid since it had inadvertently made an achievement un-achievable (The achievement was broken at release, was fixed with patch #1, and then got broke all over again with patch #2; Since you can't pick and choose for a game which patches to download and install, I manually went in and deleted patch #2 to unlock the achievement).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 1