IGNORED

HSC18 Round 8 [NEW]: POLE POSITION

3 hours ago, zylon said:

2lp series NTSC

MGP- 39,450

NS-  39,300

AGP- 39,150

*any further play will be via 5200 and cx52*

Some great scores Z, just checking you saw the 3 goes in a row bit, not just your 3 best runs |:)

I guess the 5200 PP is the same, out of interest does it make use of the analog control?

Warmed up on the practice run for 52"68 (am I right we set it to 1 lap RT or is it any best lap?)

I had a good start to my 1 lappers but then got caught (Atari GP) overtaking on a bend in the turbulence and couldn't pass, speed was around 160mph, probably should have changed gear or moved a bit more to break the hold on me... led to 4th place Q and killed off my series but still improved slightly

M 27,700 (53"10)

N 27,900 (53,23)

A 24,850 (53"45)

Blew it on the 2 lappers so moved on to the 8 lap race...

108,800 (453"18)

had 3 crashes around lap 3 then had a good run and got the speed boost to 211mph at the end of lap 6 which lasted until my 4th crash not long afterwards. So 211mph possibly after 3 clear laps is 16mph increase, Zylon you had 227mph which is another 16mph, do you remember if that was possibly 6 clear laps and did you get the 211mph one first?

Photo3540.jpg

Photo3541.jpg

Photo3542.jpg

Photo3546.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, therealbountybob said:

Some great scores Z, just checking you saw the 3 goes in a row bit, not just your 3 best runs |:)

I guess the 5200 PP is the same, out of interest does it make use of the analog control?

108,800 (453"18)

had 3 crashes around lap 3 then had a good run and got the speed boost to 211mph at the end of lap 6 which lasted until my 4th crash not long afterwards. So 211mph possibly after 3 clear laps is 16mph increase, Zylon you had 227mph which is another 16mph, do you remember if that was possibly 6 clear laps and did you get the 211mph one first?

5200 PP is the same game, with exception of analog control. It's actually one of our shining stars for that reason. For short runs, scores will typically be a bit lower, due to POS fire button response. Unlike A8, the throttle is a button you must actually press. After 26yrs of using fence pliers daily, I prefer side buttons of the cx52, cx78, and others. We're running one of my faves in the OE HSC currently, River Raid, so I rather not keep switching systems. I did all those runs in about an hour's time this morning. We actually drive like that here in Atlanta every morning, lol. So, while I love this one, I rarely play it. Figured I'd see how much dusting I can hand out. ;)

211 comes first, and if you repeat the feat that triggers it, 227 is next. It seems to only come up on the longer runs.

I have an old XP laptop, I've been meaning to load up with emulators and games, but ain't got as far as the classic computers yet on there.

EDIT-Installed Atari800Win on it today, now to compare some of these versions I see here...

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, zylon said:

5200 PP is the same game, with exception of analog control. It's actually one of our shining stars for that reason. For short runs, scores will typically be a bit lower, due to POS fire button response. Unlike A8, the throttle is a button you must actually press. After 26yrs of using fence pliers daily, I prefer side buttons of the cx52, cx78, and others. We're running one of my faves in the OE HSC currently, River Raid, so I rather not keep switching systems. I did all those runs in about an hour's time this morning. We actually drive like that here in Atlanta every morning, lol. So, while I love this one, I rarely play it. Figured I'd see how much dusting I can hand out. ;)

211 comes first, and if you repeat the feat that triggers it, 227 is next. It seems to only come up on the longer runs.

I have an old XP laptop, I've been meaning to load up with emulators and games, but ain't got as far as the classic computers yet on there.

:thumbsup: If players can keep an eye out from a clean start on the 8 lapper and see where these kick in, trbb's wonderin' if  you have a clean race there's a third 16mph increase :idea:

will do tables again later!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

:thumbsup: If players can keep an eye out from a clean start on the 8 lapper and see where these kick in, trbb's wonderin' if  you have a clean race there's a third 16mph increase :idea:

will do tables again later!

If you look, you'll see I had that 227 in lap 5, and it was after at least a full lap of 211.

An' I still got them pliers ?

temp.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Some serious track time today...

improved on 1 Lap

27,750 (53"00)

26,650 (59"23)

28,050 (52"79)

and 2 Lap

39,000 (103"90)

39,100 (104"24)

38,759 (108"45) *

and Atari GP 8 Laps

had a crash on the first lap then made it to lap 8 before crashing again. Despite clear laps 2-7 I didn't pick up the speed boost until alp 7 so it can't be clear laps - new theory is it is to do with speed carried through final bend?!! Also had speed boost on 2 lap Atari GP * :ponder:

112,250 (439"70)

1608864077_AtariGP8Laps.jpg.1c6bef9aee3ff09992c46149b81be315.jpg

All on Marius PAL ;-)

Photo3557.jpg

Photo3555.jpg

Photo3554.jpg

Photo3552.jpg

Photo3551.jpg

Photo3550.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, therealbountybob said:

I'd guess Marius version on NTSC = NTSC Atari/Datasoft versions.

Marius on PAL is harder than PAL Atari/Datasoft versions but still NOT as hard as NTSC.

All good fun :-D

What Deteached posted is perfect so other top players can give a guide to how well they did and we can adjust the fiddle factor based on last times' HSC play.

My play of the Marius NTSC version is that it's sickeningly easy. In the real physical NTSC A8, or 5200 game, I seldom get beyond lap 6-7 in this one. However, 1st ever play of this version, went right through. The MariusPAL version is near spot on, in game outcome, to real NTSC. Purple sky is a nice touch, perhaps the Constructicons built the track. ;) My usual NTSC scores for this game setting are typically in the 55-70k range.

MariusNTSC AGP-8lp

MariusNTSCpole position agp8lp.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 3

thanks Zylon :thumbsup:

RT / everyone

I've confused things here as I thought the Marius PAL version detected and worked on NTSC the same as regular PP on NTSC.

SO PLAY MARIUS VERSION ON PAL SYSTEMS OR REGULAR PP FROM ATARI OR DATASOFT ON NTSC SYSTEMS.

The NTSC version on my disk on the first post I thought was a regular NTSC version but maybe it was modified and is easier from the comments here?

Correct me if this is wrong!

9 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I’m not good enough yet to clear all three back to back, so just to share a score to show something of my effort...I’ll call this one:

Quarantined in Malibu - 1 lap - 24,350

Don't worry about completing the races, just post scores for all 3 in the series, it's all good fun :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

thanks Zylon :thumbsup:

RT / everyone

I've confused things here as I thought the Marius PAL version detected and worked on NTSC the same as regular PP on NTSC.

SO PLAY MARIUS VERSION ON PAL SYSTEMS OR REGULAR PP FROM ATARI OR DATASOFT ON NTSC SYSTEMS.

The NTSC version on my disk on the first post I thought was a regular NTSC version but maybe it was modified and is easier from the comments here.

Correct me if this is wrong!

If I remember right, those two were attempting to equalize scoring per effort. The PAL one was to try making PAL score same as NTSC, while the NTSC on that disk, was an attempt at the reverse. I'm good at this one, but not that good, lol. Even my HSC record on that setting is only 67k DNF. That makes this disk version only take half the skill. I also had 8+ crashes on that finished race with 113k.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zylon said:

If I remember right, those two were attempting to equalize scoring per effort. The PAL one was to try making PAL score same as NTSC, while the NTSC on that disk, was an attempt at the reverse. I'm good at this one, but not that good, lol. Even my HSC record on that setting is only 67k DNF. That makes this disk version only take half the skill. I also had 8+ crashes on that finished race with 113k.

Thanks again Zylon :thumbsup: I had 2 crashes on the M PAL version and had 113K so yes that would be mucg easier. So the NTSC version on the disk is made equivalent to the regular Atari/Datasoft version running on PAL, were you can have 8+ crashes and still complete - that makes sense.

SO PLAY MARIUS VERSION ON PAL SYSTEMS (FROM THE DIK ON THE FIRST POST)

OR REGULAR PP FROM ATARI OR DATASOFT ON NTSC SYSTEMS NOT THE ONE ONE THE DISK ON THE FIRST POST.

Bit late but we have at least established what is what. RT/others I can just remove the NTSC bonus if you want to keep with this version.

DO PLAYERS WANT ANOTHER EXTENSION OF THIS ROUND?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

I think it'll be fine if this round ends on Saturday. In case someone designs one or two new tracks that are playable (unlike the Patent V6 ones), we might revisit it later in the year as a bonus game or something to another round.

Is there a track editor ?  I would have a go at creating sonething.

RT

• Like 1

"Enjoy the Game"

Pole Position is great fun. But the PAL NSTC difference seems to make it hard to score unless everyone is playing exactly the same vesion.

How about  a nice game of Tic Tac Toe ;)

Or fire up Mame and play an arcade PP version. As the decider for a few days :)

Might get banned for mentioning MAME.

RT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedThunder said:

Is there a track editor ?

There is a program called Pole Position Race Designer but before you get too excited:

• Each course has 27 segments, consisting of straights, turns left and right in 20 degrees of sharpness respective.
  • Each segment can have different length, but the total track length must always be 326.
  • The program above only works on Atari 800 (or a later machine with original OS, perhaps a translation program could be used).
  • The program lets you save and load tracks, but the accompanying version of Pole Position that you boot into for play testing has bugged, non-centered steering.
  • It appears that the locations for where the track is stored (there is only one as you have figured out by now - the Malibu, Namco and Atari/Datasoft options are only difficulty levels, not different tracks) is different for every ROM dump, making it more work to inject the new track data into a known good version like Marius.

TRBB earlier mentioned that he some years ago reverse engineered the Pole Position ROM so perhaps that work (or Marius work, whether it is documented) could be used.

Since there is no WYSIWYG editor, you would have to draw your track on paper (or screen) and then come up with appropriate sharpness of each curve and for how long the segment should be, without exceeding either 27 segments or 326 in length.

I kind of managed to get a track to work by hand patching values in the Patent V6 one before, but I never found where it stores segment lengths.

Too bad that Leisure Genius didn't make an Atari 8-bit version of Scalextric which has a rather nice WYSIWYG level editor.

Edited by carlsson