IGNORED

HSC18 Round 8 [NEW]: POLE POSITION

10 hours ago, RedThunder said:

"Enjoy the Game"

Pole Position is great fun. But the PAL NSTC difference seems to make it hard to score unless everyone is playing exactly the same vesion.

How about  a nice game of Tic Tac Toe ;)

Or fire up Mame and play an arcade PP version. As the decider for a few days :)

Might get banned for mentioning MAME.

RT

That's what the MaruisPAL version was developed for, playing against those using NTSC. trrb just got it bassackwards

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VW said:

I think I could play for 100 years and not finish the 8 lap race on AtariGP level.

I find that one needs to be cool. When you catch up on other cars that are close to eachother, slow down and deduct which of those is faster. Wait a little to get past one at a time, slalom around them instead of trying to shoot as fast as possible through the opening between them that often turns out to be too narrow. By playing it cool, you can minimize number of crashes that in the end will improve your chances to reach the finish line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

I find that one needs to be cool. When you catch up on other cars that are close to eachother, slow down and deduct which of those is faster. Wait a little to get past one at a time, slalom around them instead of trying to shoot as fast as possible through the opening between them that often turns out to be too narrow. By playing it cool, you can minimize number of crashes that in the end will improve your chances to reach the finish line.

Slow down was the key phrase. I either never knew or had forgotten it was even possible to slow down in this game so thanks for the reminder! The button did do something after all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VW said:

Slow down was the key phrase. I either never knew or had forgotten it was even possible to slow down in this game so thanks for the reminder! The button did do something after all...

you can also make use of the 3rd lane, stay centered and pass right through. doesn't help much on turns though.

• Like 1

I'd hate driving a car with automatic acceleration but brakes out of order. Once the gas wire slacked or something on my car so it would accelerate on its own on the highway. I had to hit the brake, shift down and exit with the engine running at 6000 rpm, finding a gas station to turn off the engine. Fortunately someone helped me putting the gas wire into place again so I could continue my ride. Rather scary experience but fortunately not a lot of traffic when it happened.

</offtopic>

• Like 1

Finally I had a clean 1 Lap series (have played about 50 times!)

27,900 (52"68)

28,100 (52"25)

28,000 (53,45)

1523056552_1LAPM.jpg.078fce3268d17ac29ad12611cb484dfd.jpg1775886271_AGP1LAP.jpg.876b7073b337c4f9e889198b571e3f17.jpg1273684640_1LAPN.jpg.8fa034e8da2339c865597e8020a95ab1.jpg

Anyone who completed the 8 lapper please say/estimate how many times you crashed just to help with the scoring comparisons!

The points shown on the table are real HSC points.

RT  - if you or anyone creates any tracks I will resurrect my PP proiject and try and add them in to PPX+ I think that was where I had got to, just need some decent circuits - use the Race Designer, it's a bit fiddly but ok. If anyone finds the other Patent PP tracks or more info please post too.

Reminder this round ends tomorrow SUN and please VOTE EVERYONE:

Round 9 POLL OPEN

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, carlsson said:

There is a program called Pole Position Race Designer but before you get too excited:

• Each course has 27 segments, consisting of straights, turns left and right in 20 degrees of sharpness respective.
  • Each segment can have different length, but the total track length must always be 326.
  • The program above only works on Atari 800 (or a later machine with original OS, perhaps a translation program could be used).
  • The program lets you save and load tracks, but the accompanying version of Pole Position that you boot into for play testing has bugged, non-centered steering.
  • It appears that the locations for where the track is stored (there is only one as you have figured out by now - the Malibu, Namco and Atari/Datasoft options are only difficulty levels, not different tracks) is different for every ROM dump, making it more work to inject the new track data into a known good version like Marius.

TRBB earlier mentioned that he some years ago reverse engineered the Pole Position ROM so perhaps that work (or Marius work, whether it is documented) could be used.

Since there is no WYSIWYG editor, you would have to draw your track on paper (or screen) and then come up with appropriate sharpness of each curve and for how long the segment should be, without exceeding either 27 segments or 326 in length.

I kind of managed to get a track to work by hand patching values in the Patent V6 one before, but I never found where it stores segment lengths.

Too bad that Leisure Genius didn't make an Atari 8-bit version of Scalextric which has a rather nice WYSIWYG level editor.

I think I was struggling with that too on PPX+ but it must be there siomwhere, and I can ask for help on the main forum if needed. I would love to finish my PP project with more changes too, it's such a great game.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, carlsson said:

I suppose bothering to read a disassembly would help. I'm not best friends with Altirra in this respect, I much more like the VICE monitor but of course there are standalone disassemblers.

I've got a print out with my comments on and coloured sections/lines, I was enjoying figuring it out, so we need tracks and then if we can suss that we can find the graphics images part and do them too. I think I left the default track in too so you can play it, plus I adjusted the times or scores similar to the Marius version possibly, It was a while ago. 

Sorry for the delay been a busy day, just doing final tables now...

• Like 1

We'll here we go with the FINAL POLE POSITION TABLES 

Not sure who should get the win but we'll give it to Zylon for the 8 lap series even though it was on Marius on NTSC just to see how it compared... I've removed the bonuses from Marius-NTSC scores so that leaves carlsson the winner of the 1 lap series and RT the winner of the 2 lap series. Hope this is ok with everyone, sorry about the confusion but still a great game and a good round.

THANKS FOR PLAYING ALL :thumbsup:

Hopefully next time we will have my Pole Position HSC to play with some changes!!!

McKong out of interest how many crashes on the 8 lapper?

• Like 3

I thought the NTSC bonuses, whether those related to the original cartridge or the one on the disk image, were relative to the original PAL version, and then there were Marius PAL bonuses in the other direction to even out the fact that Marius PAL is harder than original NTSC which is harder than original PAL.

8 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

We'll here we go with the FINAL POLE POSITION TABLES 

Not sure who should get the win but we'll give it to Zylon for the 8 lap series even though it was on Marius on NTSC just to see how it compared... I've removed the bonuses from Marius-NTSC scores so that leaves carlsson the winner of the 1 lap series and RT the winner of the 2 lap series. Hope this is ok with everyone, sorry about the confusion but still a great game and a good round.

THANKS FOR PLAYING ALL :thumbsup:

Hopefully next time we will have my Pole Position HSC to play with some changes!!!

McKong out of interest how many crashes on the 8 lapper?

Sorry, I don't remember. A couple maybe 

• Like 1