IGNORED

Using a bright wallpaper

1 hour ago, Agamon said:

Do you have the text drop shadows turned off? Or maybe it'll help to turn them off. The instructions for that are here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/126714-add-remove-drop-shadows-icon-labels-desktop-windows.html

Thanks for the tip, but I was already having drop shadows on, and turning them off just made it a little worse. Ironically, turning ClearType off makes the text stand out on the background, but I need it on for everywhere else.

I think I was inaccurate in my description. The background I want to use isn´t very bright, it is medium bright if that makes any difference. It is the bliss wallpaper from Windows XP. 

I think what would have done the trick would be to change the font used for the desktop icons. But I don´t think there is a risk free easy way to do that.

I am sitting quite far from the screen. That´s why it is a little hard to read those desktop icons, even though I have increased text size to 175%. I can read them fine, don´t get me wrong. But they don´t pop out, like on a darker background.

Edited by Lord Mushroom