IGNORED

ADAM: Very Low Sound on Some SGM Games

Tempest

I just hooked up my SGM to my ADAM and it seems to work alright, but I'm getting VERY low sound on certain games like the Konami MSX ports and Mappy.  I assume these games use the extra chip and there's something about my ADAM's audio that it doesn't like.  The sound is there, it's just incredibly low so it's almost inaudible.   Is there any way to fix this?   I'm not using the DIN connector on the back since I have an F-18A, but rather my ADAM was modded by Matt with it's own audio jack.  I assume this jack taps the same spot on the motherboard that the DIN connector does, but I can't be 100% sure.

6 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

This is standard behavior for the ADAM when using the monitor cable instead of the standard RF output.

Is there a way to fix this?  Someone told me that I needed to solder a wire to C88, but didn't really explain more than that.  I might be able to do something simple if there were instructions.

Is there a way to get just sound from the RF and wire that into some speakers (assuming the F-18A doesn't disable RF)?

57 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I just hooked up my SGM to my ADAM and it seems to work alright, but I'm getting VERY low sound on certain games like the Konami MSX ports and Mappy.  I assume these games use the extra chip and there's something about my ADAM's audio that it doesn't like.  The sound is there, it's just incredibly low so it's almost inaudible.   Is there any way to fix this?   I'm not using the DIN connector on the back since I have an F-18A, but rather my ADAM was modded by Matt with it's own audio jack.  I assume this jack taps the same spot on the motherboard that the DIN connector does, but I can't be 100% sure.

This is a super easy fix;  and I really have zero experience with this stuff.

The simplest fix is to just cut the green wire that comes from the 7 pin DIN connector and extend it a bit with a small piece of wire.  Take the extended green wire and attach it to the right side of the cap labeled c88( near the RF modulator).  

You can solder it to the leg of the cap or attach a very small alligator clip to the wire and clip it to the leg of the cap

Thats it.

That easy.

Edited by rietveld

17 minutes ago, rietveld said:

The simplest fix is to just cut the green wire that comes from the 7 pin DIN connector and extend it a bit with a small piece of wire.  Take the extended green wire and attach it to the right side of the cap labeled c88( near the RF modulator).  

You can solder it to the leg of the cap or attach a very small alligator clip to the wire and clip it to the leg of the cap

Thats it.

That easy.

Yeah I was trying to desolder the wire at E1, but I'm not having any luck.  Can I just cut it close to the board and solder it where it needs to be?  Will that cause problems?

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

I have seen a few people just cut the wire since the solder point is usually covered in hot glue.  It was easier to cut it then deal with the gooey mess

Yes that's exactly what I did.  I tried getting through all that glue, but I wasn't able to desolder it so I just cut it.

17 hours ago, rietveld said:

Thats it.

That easy.

Is there anyone in New England (or, for that matter, upstate New York? I can drive out there) who would be willing to perform this fix for a fee if I drove my Adam to you?  Glad to pay to have it done.

1 hour ago, timepilot said:

Is there anyone in New England (or, for that matter, upstate New York? I can drive out there) who would be willing to perform this fix for a fee if I drove my Adam to you?  Glad to pay to have it done.

If you have a soldering iron it's actually super easy.  You just have to clip one wire and solder it to a different location.  

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

If you have a soldering iron it's actually super easy.  You just have to clip one wire and solder it to a different location.  

I do not have a soldering iron and I have never soldered anything or clipped anything before. I am so incompetent with hardware that I am practically guaranteed to severely foul it up. What others would call "easy" I would call "a recipe for disaster." I am not happy about this state of affairs, but I know that I am not capable with this stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stupus said:

Also you can run the audio out of the rf while using the din plug for video. They both work at the same time.

Thank you!  Do I need to convert the signal from the RF port to be compatible with the audio port in my TV?  Or do I simply plug one end of a red RCA cable into the RF port and the other end of the red RCA cable into the audio port in my TV?

3 hours ago, timepilot said:

Thank you!  Do I need to convert the signal from the RF port to be compatible with the audio port in my TV?  Or do I simply plug one end of a red RCA cable into the RF port and the other end of the red RCA cable into the audio port in my TV?

A smal old skool cable converter box will also work as long as it has the rca out along with the RF input /output.  these are usually $5 or $10 at a thrift store (or less)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rietveld said:

A smal old skool cable converter box will also work as long as it has the rca out along with the RF input /output.  these are usually $5 or $10 at a thrift store (or less)

Did this with a VCR.  All that I am getting from the RF audio is loud "snow" noise.  The RF video is coming through.  Maybe my ADAM has bad RF audio.

53 minutes ago, stupus said:

Thats too bad, what about when you go directly out the adams rf to a tv rf input? Still bad audio? This would rule out the vcr being bad or maybe a bad cable?

I will have to try via straight to the TV, and I will have to try with a different cable.  Is the cable that connects to the ADAM's RF port simply a plain RCA cable?  In other words, can I use any RCA cable (say, a yellow RCA cable traditionally used for composite video) to test that output, as long as the other end goes into an RF-in?  Or is there a special "RF" cable that receives the signal from that port?

It is a plain rca cable, however it should be 1 with good sheilding for rf signal.

Many now dont have this that are made to carry just audio or composite video.

A good condition one that came with an atari, coleco, adam, intellivision is best. Or a coax cable with an adapter to rca on the end should work good too. Thats what i usually do.

Going from the vcr to the tv the cable wouldnt matter since its no longer an rf signal then....granted its still a good working cabke.

55 minutes ago, stupus said:

It is a plain rca cable, however it should be 1 with good sheilding for rf signal.

Many now dont have this that are made to carry just audio or composite video.

A good condition one that came with an atari, coleco, adam, intellivision is best. Or a coax cable with an adapter to rca on the end should work good too. Thats what i usually do.

Going from the vcr to the tv the cable wouldnt matter since its no longer an rf signal then....granted its still a good working cabke.

Thank you.  I have been using one of those cables with a coax adapter at the end.  Will try a different RCA cable.

16 minutes ago, timepilot said:

Thank you.  I have been using one of those cables with a coax adapter at the end.  Will try a different RCA cable.

Just tried a different RCA cable now.  Not appreciably better.  It looks like the RF out on my ADAM stinks.  Never really noticed because I have always used the multi-pin connection to composite and audio.