IGNORED

MAC/65 not working under Altirra Windows?

atarialoha

Hi folks,

I have a weird problem.

So, I installed Windows XP onto an old computer. Upgraded to SP3.

Then I extracted Altirra (latest one, from the website) and loaded the ROM for MAC/65.

I wrote a short program and assembled it, but when I go to check the memory under the DDT debugger, the memory has not been changed, it's all BRK, no matter where I try to place the code (I used *=$1000 and tried $2000, etc.).

It seems to assemble fine. I typed ASM and everything looks ok. But nothing on the DDT side.

Totally not sure what is going on.

I remember this working OK on another install of Altirra some time ago on another computer.

It's what we love doing, as much as you feel young, we do for helping..

Never used MAC65, any coding I did was via Omnimon or Assembler editor which was daft as neither could touch MAC65 for ease and commands. Omnimons assembler was direct to memory and very limited ie no variables so everything was direct calls but I'd got so used to using Omnimon.

Have fun and happy coding..

Paul..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I bought my first 800 with BASIC and Assembler Editor, later when I got a disk drive it was MAC/65

even today it's my preferred assembler and BUG65 for debugging.

How does BUG/65 work? I think I read somewhere OSS replaced it with DDT, in MAC/65, for later versions?

To be honest, I have totally forgotten how DOS works on the Atari 8-bits! LOL. So now I am just using the emulators and saving state LOL. I did get DOS to boot at one time and remember seeing the DOS menu screen but that's about it. I even forgot what version DOS was better to use. I tried instead to use the tape simulator on Altirra but also didn't get it to work, haha, but it was cool to hear the BEEP BEEP sound indicating the tape save is about to begin. I think we were supposed to press record on the 410 or something.

Anyway I digress. If I were to use BUG/65, do I need to boot DOS with the MAC/65 cartridge, and run BUG/65 from disk?

BUG/65 is loaded from disk, so yes you need to use a DOS, most use SpartaDOS, it's the one that's now in

the SIDE cartridges, Incognito and U1M upgrades, these can be simulated in Altirra, which again I use

virtually every day, both in Altirra and my 800/130XE's.

I only use the disk loaded version of MAC/65 too.

Here's the BUG/65 manual for reference.

BUG-65 Manual 4.pdf

32 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

BUG/65 is loaded from disk, so yes you need to use a DOS, most use SpartaDOS, it's the one that's now in

the SIDE cartridges, Incognito and U1M upgrades, these can be simulated in Altirra, which again I use

BUG-65 Manual 4.pdf 227.41 kB · 1 download

ok cool and thanks! Will check it out.

34 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

BUG-65 Manual 4.pdf 227.41 kB · 1 download

I found an ATR disk file, with the title:

MAC-65_2.00_and_4.20_with_Bug-65_2.0_normal_and_V4_ready_and_DOS_XL_2.30.atr

I can just boot that right?

FYI, if you want to use (or at least "play around with") MAC/65+DDT on real hardware, Atarimax makes and sells repro cartridges that work great and are much less expensive than vintage originals.

https://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

Alternately, you can use something like a SIDE3, UNO Cart, Ultimate Cart, etc. plus the ROM to emulate a vintage original.

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

FYI, if you want to use (or at least "play around with") MAC/65+DDT on real hardware, Atarimax makes and sells repro cartridges that work great and are much less expensive than vintage originals.

Alternately, you can use something like a SIDE3, UNO Cart, Ultimate Cart, etc. plus the ROM to emulate a vintage original.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

On a tangent, I ordered a C256 Foenix U+ which is based on the 65c816 (not backward compatible with any vintage machine but I hope to hack on it with assembly language. I just want to get back into it after missing out since my youth).

Edited by atarialoha

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Ah those repros look so nice. However I always wanted someone to resurrect the Atari ones with the flip protector shield. I guess I am biased but I really like the form factor and feel of the original 8-bit cartridges.

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

Anybody who has used the Assembler/Editor (or EASMD) and then discovered MAC/65 is never going to go back. Ever.

Oh yeah, definitely I am one of those!

The main use for the Assembler/Editor is to follow along with the book "The Atari Assembler" but you could also do it using MAC/65, which would have been easier anyway with DDT to see the CPU status register, etc.

• Like 1