IGNORED

what is wrong with the sega genesis

gamerz

I picked up a Genesis when they first came out. I loved that system! I never did get a new SNES and only finally got a SNES when a collecting buddy gave me one just a couple years ago.

It's strange, but once I had the SNES the Genesis was unhooked and I haven't hooked it back up since. I still have all my Genny stuff, but I never get the urge to fire it up. Weird.... :?

The Genesis WAS my #1 console for a couple weeks. I was buying new games right and left. Then that GUY ruined it. I can't find anymore good games at the GS. I turned my focus to the NES. Until I find a new source for Genesis games, it's gonna wait. And I don't even have Sonic 3!

What?!...no mention of Gunstar Heroes! What about Ristar! And all the Sonic games are gems...yes even Sonic 3D Blast!

Plus Castlevania Bloodlines...Phantasy Star games...etc....hehe..oh yeah...

Genesis is my most played system next to my DC and 7800.

8)

I think the massive load of EA sports games that came out with an updated release every year hasn't helped the Genesis. I frequently see loads of these priced at one or two dollars in fleas and thrifts and they never move. These games are so unwanted that even the thrift store employees don't bother scamming them before they hit the floor (unlike everything else in this area).

I really enjoy the shooters Musha and Phelios, but I think that it might be a bit hard to find Musha these days.

Chris.

The Genesis is omnipresent.  As far as the wild goes, the Genesis is probably the most common game system out there.  Every time I hit the thrifts I must see at least a dozen Genesis consoles.  Rarely do I see its principle competitior, the SNES, in the wild.

The only thing more common than a Genesis console in the wild, is a Genesis sports title cart.

Still, a great system.

Really? I see used SNES, Genesis and NES systems all the time. Their sheer popularity back "in the day" means that people tend not to command a pretty penny for most things relating to them because they are sooo common.

I've actually enjoyed collecting NES games lately (after years of Atari 7800 and SMS collecting) because of the generally lower prices.

I think the reason there is so many Gennys out there is that it is

obviously the best selling 16 bit console. I think it far outsold the SNES

than we are lead to believe by Nintendo. But why is it so worthless

today? I think its a combination of the glut of sports games which in

general age rather poorly. And that the old Genny owners havn't

rediscovered the system. Atari 2600 was abundant and worthless before

it caught on.

Really? I see used SNES, Genesis and NES systems all the time. Their sheer popularity back "in the day" means that people tend not to command a pretty penny for most things relating to them because they are sooo common.

Yes. Really!?!.

In my experience, the Genesis is ubiquitous in the wild.

I think the massive load of EA sports games that came out with an updated release every year hasn't helped the Genesis. I frequently see loads of these priced at one or two dollars in fleas and thrifts and they never move. These games are so unwanted that even the thrift store employees don't bother scamming them before they hit the floor (unlike everything else in this area).

This has been my experience also.

I once bought five boxed and complete Sega Genesis sports games from a hobby store for 60 cents apiece in Michigan. The guy even told me if I wanted five MORE he'd throw them in for free. I just smiled at him and said no thanks (I had the only ones I needed or even wanted in my hands already).

LOL

I woulda taken them and traded them.

For what? Combat?
Yeah! Don't you know how hard it is to get your hands on a good copy of Combat?

[says the guy who has two copies for some reason.]

Actually, I'd have taken them just to not have to get them later.

I only have one. I'll take another. Mine is a version 1 Hi-Def Grfx version and I can't get it to work right with any of my games when using a Game Genie. Anyone know if there are known conflicts?

Would that happen to be a model MK-1600?

genesii are cheap because they're so damn common. Just about everyone has one.

Oh, and I have 7 Genesises. A MK1601, MK1602, Mk1631, MK1631 that doesn't work, MK1451, MK1461, and a Nomad.

What is wrong with the Sega Genesis?

Absolutely nothing.

Boy, I love easy questions. 8)

How about the proprietary AV connector on later models?

Or the fact that you have to use the headphone jack to get stereo on early models?

There's something wrong with everything. You just have to look for it.

No, it's a 1601. Is there a difference you're after?

Yeah, the 1600 was the original Genny, bundled with Altered Beast and made in 1989. It also didn't have soem security settings built in, which allowed companies to make games without buying a license from sega.

Ah..well, no biggie. There were two that day I got mine, one was beat up a bit so I got this one. Also, that one only had RF. I needed this one because it had the A/V cable.

I may go to GS today. If they have another, I'll sneak a peek at the bottom just to see what it is. I doubt it is a 1600.

BTW, would it have said "HD Graphics" on it like this one?

What is wrong with the Sega Genesis?

Absolutely nothing.

Boy, I love easy questions. 8)

How about the proprietary AV connector on later models?

Or the fact that you have to use the headphone jack to get stereo on early models?

There's something wrong with everything. You just have to look for it.

Heh. Yep. Quick! Name one thing wrong with the following..

NES

SNES

N64

GameCube

Xbox

Playstation

Playstation One

Playstation 2

Dreamcast

Saturn

Turbo Grafix 16

Umm.... and any other you can think of.

This'll be on the test and count for 60% of your grade. GOOD LUCK!!! ;) :P

NES

= = =

Regular (common) Ver.: That infernal cartridge connector. The designer of that implementation should be slapped around for that idea.

Top Loader Ver. : No Composite video out. Only RF.

SNES

= = =

Plastic turns yellow. Non-standard video connector. Sub-par controllers.

N64

= = =

Underpowered system, that darn 'expansion' / jumper pack, Video connector again, no memory card manager -- you have to find a cart to do it FOR you.

GameCube

= = =

Power brick in the middle of the cord, non-standard video connector, can't play DVDs, big N migrated to more fragile high density CDs.

Xbox

= = =

Multiple major points of failure (hard disk & CD rom Drive), DVD player codec is extra money, ANOTHER non-standard video connector, not enough system Ram for a proper MS product, those tiny controllers, those HUGE controllers with the big useless green jewel in the center.

Playstation

= = =

Hundreds of sub-par Titles, controllers that make my hands cramp up, pokey-slow CD drive, cruddy memory manager, older titles have no way of dealing with the analog input from a controller

Playstation One

= = =

All of the problems of the Playstation except for better CD speed, but that goofy power brick, and it screams FRAGILE.

Playstation 2

= = =

Same problems of the other Playstations, and they seem to exhibit a high rate of failure. It does play DVDs out of the box though. Appear impossible to work on. Once they die I call em paperweights.

Dreamcast

= = =

Couldn't play DVDs, the Lan adapter is impossible to reasonably afford, A bit more system mem would have been nice. If it was black or blue it would look like someone stepped on a Gamecube.

Saturn

= = =

Affording any decent non cross platform title for this system. Huge and clunky.

Hex.

[ Bait and Whack! ] :D

SNES

= = =

Plastic turns yellow. Non-standard video connector. Sub-par controllers.

Only some. I'm the proud owner of a still-gray SNES.

Of course, the case is butt-ugly anyways.

GameCube  

= = =

can't play DVDs,

Non-issue.

big N migrated to more fragile high density CDs.

DVDs, actually.

And this is bad because 2 gig ROM carts are SO affordable, right?

As much as I like ROM, the fact of the matter is it just can't compete with disks any more.

Playstation

= = =

Hundreds of sub-par Titles, controllers that make my hands cramp up, pokey-slow CD drive, cruddy memory manager, older titles have no way of dealing with the analog input from a controller

Playstation One  

= = =

All of the problems of the Playstation except for better CD speed, but that goofy power brick, and it screams FRAGILE.  

Forgot non-standard video connector, and serious problems with failure, especially on early systems.

Also of note is that almost every system I've ever played has too many bad games. The PS' ratio isn't THAT bad.

And most systems that release an updated controller the old games don't recognize it.

You might not NOTICE it because there's standard controller emulation internally(see Atari trackballs), but it's there. PS pads take the rather sensible approach of just shutting off the pots when emulating the standard pads(I hate my 3rd party pads that emulate the d-pad on the thumbsticks, because I occasionally bump the thumbstick, resulting in a spurious motion).

Playstation 2  

= = =

Same problems of the other Playstations, and they seem to exhibit a high rate of failure.  It does play DVDs out of the box though. Appear impossible to work on. Once they die I call em paperweights.

Again, proprietary video.

Dreamcast  

= = =

Couldn't play DVDs,

Again, non-issue.

And again, proprietary video.

Saturn  

= = =

Affording any decent non cross platform title for this system. Huge and clunky.

Huge and klunky? I always thought it looked damn nice.

Let's see... I know there's some architecture problems that serve to severely limit the performance you can squeeze out of the dual processors.

The hardware was also fairly expensive, at least compared to the PlayStation, which really hurt Sega when they started trying to match the PS's price.

Problem with all systems: raging psychotic fanboys.