Legends Ultimate Flashback V.0.7.12

Console section update. I tried a few games and they worked with no button mapping need, then I tried a few more and only the A, B, and C buttons were not recognized???

snes.rar

Legends Ultimate Flashback V.0.7.13

Here are the rest of the Lutro games. They seem to be mostly broken for various reasons. Anyways, here they are if someone that knows more than me wants to try and get them to work.

lutro.rar

Legends Ultimate Flashback V.0.7.14

Linux Ports Update. Cave Story and Rick Dangerous were added. The cores for both were added to the emulator folder. There a a couple of alternate genesis .bin versions tossed in as well. The Frogger and Space Invaders ports are now working. Thank You to RocketFan for all the hard work on these additions.

LUFv7.14.rar

Edited by Draxxon

Legends Ultimate Flashback V.0.7.15

Homebrew update. These are all the homebrew titles that were suggested by rocketfan.

LUFv7.15.rar

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:28 PM, Draxxon said:

Cave Story and Rick Dangerous were added.

Thanks for the update - I'm a little bit addicted to Cave Story now.  It's on many platforms and very popular, and I can see why.  The version in the ports section plays great on this device.  The x and z buttons will cycle through your weapons (once you have more than one) and the y button brings up the map (once you get the map treasure thing).  Here is a good article on the game's design elements:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/the-careful-design-of-cave-story

door.gif

image.png.ba6693b3dd8dca3bbfe0789070c86d05.png

I picked up one of these recently.  It seems to be identical construction as the blue ones, other than the color and Hyperkin brand labeling.  It has a 7 foot cord, not a ten foot like on the blue one.

Model on these is Hyperkin GN6.

Edited by rocketfan

Hi all, newbie here. I just wanted thank everyone who contributed to this project for all the work you did! I got my LFB a week ago (after some issues with customs) and I'm really loving it.

I've been playing with the wireless Retro-Bit controller (you have to plug in the dongle to another power source), which works fine except the C button randomly registers as the start button from time to time. I think it happens more often in some games more than others but it's easy enough to work around.

I also have a couple questions: How do you remap the select button in place of one of the turbo buttons for GB/GBC/GBA games? The select button on the Retro-Bit works but it also brings up the LFB menu so it keeps pausing gameplay. Also, how do you use the difficulty switches for 2600 games?

Thanks again!

to map the games buttons go to gb/data/retroplayer.ini and edit the file with notepad. Somewhere in one of these threads was posted the positions and values for button remapping.

Im not sure we can use difficulty switches or not. Maybe rocketfan can figure that out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Draxxon said:

difficulty switches or not. Maybe rocketfan can figure that out.

From the Stella2014 Source code they have this: 

{ 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L,      "Left Difficulty A" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L2,     "Left Difficulty B" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L3,     "Color" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_R,      "Right Difficulty A" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_R2,     "Right Difficulty B" },

So L, L2  (Left shoulder buttons) and R, R2 (Right shoulder buttons) get used somehow to select difficulties and you can also see that in the graphics for buttons here:

https://docs.libretro.com/library/stella/

So, to me it looks like you could possibly manipulate the difficulty switches by mapping a button (say X on the pad) to L (which == 10) and another (say Y on the pad) to L2 (which == 12).  Then (I guess) hold them while you start the game (?) not sure.  If you want to experiment it would be great info. to have - esp. if it works!  🙂

See below for the button mapping information. 

AFAIK The Atari flashbacks use special GPIO for those physical switches.  Another approach would be to modify the core and have core options that can be set per game for each switch.  That would be very logical within the retroarch framework.  It would not be flexible like actual switches, but then at least you could run with a specific set of "favorite" difficulty options - I'm not volunteering for that though!   

Button mapping works like this: 

Like Draxxon said, in the retroplayer.ini for the section (like /nes/data/retroplayer.ini) you need a [KeyMappingUser] section.  Here is an example with only a mapping for a single game (but you can put in as many as you want after the single header).  Games names are case sensitive - only use the exact ROM base-name - no folder:

[KeyMappingUser]
Castelian.nes=8, 1, 9, 0, 10, 11

My belief is that on the LFB, the mapping will be in order for a,b,c,x,y,z buttons.

If you want "select" from the retroarch core, you will refer to the table below to look up the value for select (2) and use a "2" in place of one of the buttons.  That is, if you want z to function as retroarch select, then put a 2 in the last position.  (at least I think so, let me know if it does not work!)

Castelian.nes=8, 1, 9, 0, 10, 2

NOTE: It is a bit different on the Atari Flashbacks, since those systems have only a few buttons and they map somewhat weirdly into that scheme.

* KEYMAPPING *
To map keys the ROM has to be ran using the Legends Flashback Retroplayer.
to set the buttons go to /rom_alt/data/retroplayer.ini and edit it.

#RETRO        B    Y    SLT  STA  UP   DWN  LEFT RGT  A    X    L    R    L2   R2   L3   R3
#INDEX        0    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10   11   12   13   14   15

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

From the Stella2014 Source code they have this: 

{ 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L,      "Left Difficulty A" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L2,     "Left Difficulty B" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_L3,     "Color" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_R,      "Right Difficulty A" },
   { 0, RETRO_DEVICE_JOYPAD, 0, RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_R2,     "Right Difficulty B" },

So L, L2  (Left shoulder buttons) and R, R2 (Right shoulder buttons) get used somehow to select difficulties and you can also see that in the graphics for buttons here:

https://docs.libretro.com/library/stella/

So, to me it looks like you could possibly manipulate the difficulty switches by mapping a button (say X on the pad) to L (which == 10) and another (say Y on the pad) to L2 (which == 12).  Then (I guess) hold them while you start the game (?) not sure.  If you want to experiment it would be great info. to have - esp. if it works!  🙂

See below for the button mapping information. 

AFAIK The Atari flashbacks use special GPIO for those physical switches.  Another approach would be to modify the core and have core options that can be set per game for each switch.  That would be very logical within the retroarch framework.  It would not be flexible like actual switches, but then at least you could run with a specific set of "favorite" difficulty options - I'm not volunteering for that though!   

Button mapping works like this: 

Like Draxxon said, in the retroplayer.ini for the section (like /nes/data/retroplayer.ini) you need a [KeyMappingUser] section.  Here is an example with only a mapping for a single game (but you can put in as many as you want after the single header).  Games names are case sensitive - only use the exact ROM base-name - no folder:

[KeyMappingUser]
Castelian.nes=8, 1, 9, 0, 10, 11

My belief is that on the LFB, the mapping will be in order for a,b,c,x,y,z buttons.

If you want "select" from the retroarch core, you will refer to the table below to look up the value for select (2) and use a "2" in place of one of the buttons.  That is, if you want z to function as retroarch select, then put a 2 in the last position.  (at least I think so, let me know if it does not work!)

Castelian.nes=8, 1, 9, 0, 10, 2

NOTE: It is a bit different on the Atari Flashbacks, since those systems have only a few buttons and they map somewhat weirdly into that scheme.

* KEYMAPPING *
To map keys the ROM has to be ran using the Legends Flashback Retroplayer.
to set the buttons go to /rom_alt/data/retroplayer.ini and edit it.

#RETRO        B    Y    SLT  STA  UP   DWN  LEFT RGT  A    X    L    R    L2   R2   L3   R3
#INDEX        0    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10   11   12   13   14   15

You're correct about the order of the mapping and I was able to remap the buttons exactly how I wanted it very easily with your explanation. Thank you so much!

I've also discovered that with the default 2600 settings, you can press x to set the left difficulty switch to a and press y to set it to b. I couldn't find which buttons toggle the right difficulty switch so I guess that needs to be mapped manually.

Edited by chadcabrera
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that worked!  If you decide it's useful feed back what you set up, and it can be incorporated into some future update.  I usually pass stuff to Draxxon because although he keeps saying he is "the art guy" it is all really his thing.

I just noticed the Japanese for "Cave Story" is "Doukutsu Monogatari" (Very little joke.)  OK - I will stop pitching that game now.

Cave Story Doukutsu Monogatari - )https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReC4_OJBjwpKiTobKpjvnnUeOUo4ImagMARA&usqp=CAUCave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari) PSP Eboot - CDRomance

Edited by rocketfan

Hey guys, I guess I'm still a newbie. I was asking a lot of questions about the atari nexus about a month ago. I bought a legends flashback when I found out you had done this similar project here. After downloading the .1.0 version I tried playing some arcade games and noticed that I was unable to add coins on  "asteroids" and just figured it was a glitch that would be fixed on a later update and I never tried again until I had finished downloading the latest update of 7.15. I still cannot add coins to "Asteroids" so I started trying others to see if I could figure out if I had screwed something up somewhere. After playing every arcade game up until the "B" section I went back to my computer and was looking at the files and noticed that of all the "a" games the ones that you could not add coins to, the rom files were unzipped or did not have a ".zia" at the end of their file name. Every game up until "B" that I was able to add coins to and then play were still in zipped folders or had the ".zia" or ".zi3" prefix on them. Is this something that I have screwed up somehow or is it just a glitch that was missed? Either way, how do I fix it?

3 hours ago, blair said:

the rom files were unzipped or did not have a ".zia" at the end of their file name

The extension controls which emulation core runs a game - and indirectly which MAME "romset" must be used.  These were just determined by trial and error as to which version works best.  Often the .zim's work better but they have the not so happy side-effect that the aspect ratio is sometimes wider than original.

From an earlier post by Draxxon:

.zim - mame2000 - v0.37b5 roms  

.zia - fbalpha - v0.2.97.44_roms

.zin - fbneo - v0.2.97.44_roms

.zi3 - mame2000 "xtreme" - 0.78 roms

The secret - which you would never know until someone tells you - is to add a coin for some of those you must press the "menu" button on the device itself, then press it again.  On the way out a coin is added.  You can't add a coin strictly via the controller shortcut for the menu (is it start and up? - I just use muscle memory).

One big advantage of the green Hyperkin GN6 controller I posted about above or the even better blue ones Draxxon originally found is that they have a "mode" button which acts exactly as the menu button on the device and can add a coin also!

I just brought up Asteroids and added a coin with the menu button, and with the mode button on my blue controller - so it is playable that way.  🙂

Edited by rocketfan

Just gotta let you know I'm a big fan of this effort.  I picked up one of the 2018 models a couple weekends ago, and this is really making my $7 investment pay off!  After starting with the v6 full release and spending my evening catching up with patches, I believe I'm up to date, and there's something about the form factor with built in support for the de facto controller pinout that really makes it feel right to me.  Thanks to Draxxon and everyone else contributing to the effort!

One thing I've just been kinda wondering, and my Google-fu has thus far failed me...  Has anyone been able to determine the exact specs of any of these machines?  I saw a post earlier in the thread with some suspicions about changes from the 2018 to the 2019, I've seen a guy open one up and have no idea what any of the chips are, and I think I saw somewhere (here?) that it has 128MB RAM onboard, and it's obviously android-based.  I'm just curious if anyone here knows the exact specs and can spell them out for me.

Also, I'd be glad to start looking at a couple other cores in my spare time...  Maybe Vectrex and/or C64, if nobody else is futzing with them yet.

Thanks Rocketfan! I had a feeling it was just something dumb that I didn't know yet. Everything I've tried has worked with that info.

4 hours ago, Slor said:

Just gotta let you know I'm a big fan of this effort.  I picked up one of the 2018 models a couple weekends ago, and this is really making my $7 investment pay off!  After starting with the v6 full release and spending my evening catching up with patches, I believe I'm up to date, and there's something about the form factor with built in support for the de facto controller pinout that really makes it feel right to me.  Thanks to Draxxon and everyone else contributing to the effort!

One thing I've just been kinda wondering, and my Google-fu has thus far failed me...  Has anyone been able to determine the exact specs of any of these machines?  I saw a post earlier in the thread with some suspicions about changes from the 2018 to the 2019, I've seen a guy open one up and have no idea what any of the chips are, and I think I saw somewhere (here?) that it has 128MB RAM onboard, and it's obviously android-based.  I'm just curious if anyone here knows the exact specs and can spell them out for me.

Also, I'd be glad to start looking at a couple other cores in my spare time...  Maybe Vectrex and/or C64, if nobody else is futzing with them yet.

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I kind of took a break on the Atari flashback when prices went high and at the same time I noticed that the Legends flashback can still be gotten for a good price.

Im not sure on the specs but I want to say that the 2019 models had double the NAND. I want to say that the 2018 had a monkey king clone chip and the 2019 had an actual RockChip. Thats all I remember.

I haven't tried Vectrex yet, I did try C64 and Fairchild Channel F and couldn't figure them out. I think I was missing something small with Channel F. Programming C64 game extensions into the runcommand file kept breaking the "GoTo" folder commands that Rocketfan made.

Edited by Draxxon

6 hours ago, Slor said:

Has anyone been able to determine the exact specs of any of these machines?

If you want to know the processor, it is a Rockchip RK3066 ARM Cortex-A9 Dual-Core (or the clone Monkeychip Draxxon mentioned).  It has a Mali 400 GPU.  It will be running 1.2Ghz if you have the custom firmware.  As Draxxon mentioned, it makes sense they would have doubled the onboard flash for the newer version - to make room for the 100 games instead of 50.  Kind of irrelevant if you run from SD though.  This is an older Rockchip device which is not as powerful as many modern Chinese handhelds, but a good budget device for a system like this.  These chips were used for Android TV boxes and "stick PCs" about 8 or 9 years ago.

People sometimes say it is "Android based" but although the Chip is capable of running Android these are really "Arm Linux".  Android is based on Arm Linux and so is this thing - so they are more like siblings or cousins.  Many Android tools will apply (like the flashing tools) because they operate on the lower level partitions and device tree which are also on this device.  It's more akin to an embedded Linux developed for like a vehicle info-tainment system using the Yocto or Buildroot tools.  Also, error messages on the device make me suspect the atGames reference for the product was probably this Marsboard device (but stripped down to less functionality and RAM, and with customized GPIO):  http://www.hotmcu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_35&products_id=64

Edited by rocketfan

6 hours ago, Slor said:

Vectrex

Yes, that would be cool... Many of the pre-built cores which worked came from here (and I think there is a Vectrex one there):

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/

Also, cores from the NES classic sometimes work!

Many also just produce a blank screen - I'm usually not sure why, it could be BIOS issues, incompatible ROMs, or some kind of unmet dependency - though then I would guess the core should not start at all (some don't).  Also, many just exceed the processing power on these little boxes.

40 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

Yes, that would be cool... Many of the pre-built cores which worked came from here (and I think there is a Vectrex one there):

https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/

Yep - and it's already in the "here's all the cores" archive Drax shared recently, so I'm starting there.  About to play with it a bit this evening.

Edited by Slor

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

People sometimes say it is "Android based" but although the Chip is capable of running Android these are really "Arm Linux".  Android is based on Arm Linux and so is this thing - so they are more like siblings or cousins.  Many Android tools will apply (like the flashing tools) because they operate on the lower level partitions and device tree which are also on this device.  It's more akin to an embedded Linux developed for like a vehicle info-tainment system using the Yocto or Buildroot tools.  Also, error messages on the device make me suspect the atGames reference for the product was probably this Marsboard device (but stripped down to less functionality and RAM, and with customized GPIO):  http://www.hotmcu.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_35&products_id=64

Gotcha - thanks for the details.  I did see the word "android" at the bottom corner of the screen when I was doing my firmware update, so I blame that for my misstatement of the platform. :)

Edited by Slor

Here are some random Pico-8 games that work with our emulator (retro-8).  Sadly a lot of the best games I find on Lexaloffle don't run on the device.  I checked to see if they have updated the core recently, but nothing since it was added.  These are pretty fun anyway!

I'm attaching the original cartridges and also the "gme" added ones you could drop in the /game folder to play.

delunky102-0_p8.png.6bf8fc52b450ce54fc951b83eb07c7d9.pnglil_king_p8.png.5a01ed998b710631c21e763be60f1c3d.pngspaceman8_p8.png.15d59e2feb15e5d5c9d543e0f50d35f8.png

delunky102-0.p8.gme lil_king.p8.gme spaceman8.p8.gme

What I like about these Legends Flashbacks is you can get them for dirt cheap and they come with 2 decent pads. You can also easily buy all kinds of colors of very nice replica style pads for $15 or less. (I think the plain black are $12). Its a solid little system.

Something that RocketFan points out to me is that this community build has Atari 800 all set up. Not something easily found with other minis or even Legends Family products. 

Plus, there is still plenty to tinker with. PSX, Sega-CD, SNES folder needs reworked. Amiga, Vectrex, etc. havent even been attempted yet. Not many 90s arcade games have been added. NeoGeo. There is a lot more that could be done.

And unlike the Legends Family stuff, you dont need .UCE files where every rom gets needlessly wrapped up with art and emulator. Also this community build that hacks the main menu for adding box art takes only a fraction of the space that CoinOpsX uses. The file sizes are just so much smaller, no AddOnX tool needed either. No having to sign into arcadenet after 5 offline sessions, etc.

****************************************************************************************************************

This is probably where I should mention I got Covid 2 weeks ago. Quarantine ended yesterday. I'm fine, but I still don't feel great. That's why I haven't been posting any updates.

I have just been chilling out, playing games on the Legends Core and cleaning the house.

Edited by Draxxon