LFB ULTIMATE V.0.5.0 (FULL UPDATE)
You've got Pokemon Mini (.min) support now as well as the above mentioned changes. There is no folder/section for it yet.

You also get a retroplayer.bak file in every /rom_alt/data folder and a corresponding retroplayer_ro.ini in the /emulator/mu.l and /mu.x folders.
I haven't brought over the Atari 800, 5200 and XEGS games from the latest NEXUS Updates yet.

A lot of the new cores haven't been set up with any [core] settings or tested, or even got examples...

so, check them out and let me know what's the plan.

ULTIMATEv5.rar

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Small patch.

It seems I forgot to add the runcommand entry for pico-8 (.p8) games.

Ultimate V.0.5.1 (Update Only)

ULTIMATEv5.1.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Draxxon,

I only had time for a quick look.  A few notes:

-If you are going to play VVVVVV be patient when it starts.  You have a blank screen for maybe 30 seconds!   Also I attached an update that gives you the y-key to restart at last checkpoint.

-Thanks for putting together Pico-8 section so quick!  The carts look pretty good in the interface!!!

-I could not get ZX-Spectrum games to start.  I could not get the Odyseey-II keyboard to come up.

-I tried a few .zia arcade games - now they work - thanks again for the quick action!  🙂

Going forward, somehow we need a different work-flow or even general philosophy on this device.  Obv on AtariAge the Atari Flashback is more popular:

-It has the cute Atari form factor.

-It has Atari joystick!

-In a limited way you can even play using paddles.

However, this LFB as huge advantages for playing more content because of the 6 button Sega controllers and esp. using the ones Draxxon found with the mode button it is nice!  Also, these are pretty easy to find at a good price.  I am going to put a simple console together for my niece (not an Atari nut) and this is the device I choose for that purpose.  Way better than some crazy hacker Retroarch/Lakka interface that is too complicated and fragile for a non-geek to operate.

So how could we proceed?  We are not limited to 1-button games here.  We could have every mame game in existence and full sets of NES and SNES games but that is not reasonable in terms of ratio of crap to good games.  Also the sections load slow with too much content.  Also not reasonable to keep asking Draxxon to process box art and  keep everything straight!  ;-)

As for me there is a set of 120-150 classic 80's-early  90's arcade games I would like to see.  A lot of them are one-buttoners, so already there, but example - Defender/Stargate are not and should work on LFB.  Also, I have a few personal favorite NES/SNES (not one button) games I would nominate for those sections.

So my thought is we head for something like "best of" categories.  Maybe the romsets/categories should be released as separate from the "system" portion (Like you can find done for Legends Ultimate) Not sure what is the best work-flow?  It is a "community project" and I plan on working on new cores and new "ports".  But also want to see certain games get in here.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

VVVVVV.uex

Posted (edited)

Just going to be a bit honest here...

My laptop died a couple days ago. Now, Ive gotten all my tools back, but not all the boxart packs and rom packs.

Adding all the atari games is easy, they are small in file size and they are old. No one cares too much.

Nintendo games can get you a C&D. Also the later games take up a lot more space, more upload time.

At 1GB a piece these packs take me a long while to upload. Also, we are limited to 32GB SD Card.

I enjoy working on the AFBX, because I believe the good people here will care about it for years to come.

I worry that the LFB project will eventually get forgotten about. And while the LFB plays more games

than the AFBX, I have other systems that play more games than the LFB. (PSX, Dreamcast, analogue sticks, etc.)

Also, I have been adding games to the LFB for years now, I do have cards with other stuff I play. I also have other

mini systems I want to continue to work on (PSX Classic, Sega Mini, Atari Pi, Legends Core, etc) that LFB will take away from.

I have about one month left before I go back to work full time. I want to get AFB as far along as I can before that happens.

In 12 hours I cut and pasted nexus to the LFB, yesterday in a few hours, I cut and pasted the newer content to the LFB.

I feel like anyone can do what I do. I realize that isnt true, but I know a few others could figure this out, all the hard work is already done.

When you get autobleem/synch it is empty, project eris/lunar, empty. I will admit project carousel is full, but same thing, old and small 

sized games. Its not that I dont want to add all the games i can to ULTIMATE, its that I am running out of time, and need you guys to learn

how to add games on your own. I feel like this setup is somewhat modular. pick a rom_alt folder and go to town. make an upgrade pack.

as far as ZX Spectrum and Odyssey2, I just cut and pasted them. I never tested anything. They may need tweaked or removed from this unit. Im sorry I sound like a negative nancy, I just wanted to be honest.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, so the on screen keyboard for Ody2 and ZX uses select. LFB doesnt have a select key. So we need to remap that button. 

(remember how the RPL doesn't have select for a2600 games? I think its the same sort of thing.)

Also, I thought I plugged in the version of VVVVVV with Y to reset room, but I guess I didn't. My mistake.

Edited by Draxxon

Thanks Draxxon! Snes works great now! It's cool to see some new emulators like pico-8 working on the legends flashback I haven't tried anything else yet

On 6/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, rocketfan said:

Yes, well it's a bit of a mess - many of the fbalpha/zip roms won't play - even Atari Arabian is broken!  All of those games were play-tested for the Nexus project.  It is a different device, but so similar I'm surprised by this.

We did change from retroplayer.x to retroplayer.l for lfb but that does not seem to be the issue.  So far I haven't figured out, but will dig a little more when I can.

For qbert, centipede, and pac-man you can work around the problem by changing the extension on the artwork, the rom file, and for the rom reference in all-games.ini to ".zin" instead of .zip. That will use the fbneo core instead of the fbalpha one.  Other than a 15 second blank screen when starting they look good.  Unfortunately this does not appear to solve every game!!

You should also place the retroplayer.ini  in your /arcade/data folder - it has the fbneo core settings in it.

For any game you want to play there is most likely a way.  We have multiple mame cores available.  So far we have these:

.zim - mame2000 - v0.37b5 roms

.zip - fbalpha - v0.2.97.44_roms

.zin - fbneo - v0.2.97.44_roms (AFAIK)

.zi3 - mame3000 "xtreme" - 0.78 roms

Always use full non-merged romsets.

retroplayer.ini 1.32 kB · 3 downloads

By chance do you know where MAME sample should go? I've been playing around with Berzerk (seems to run fine with either .zim or .zi3 extension) but I've had no luck getting the sound to work, using known-good samples from RetroPi.

Posted (edited)

the wrong core was running them.

i opened all-games.ini with notepad. I used "find next" and found all the ".zip" instances and changed them to .zia

next i used advanced renamer. loaded all the rom and art files into it, and changed any instance of .zip to .zia in the file names/extension.

I then opened runcommand with notepad and changed .zip to .zia for the FBAlpha core.

Id say it took 10-15 mins.

Edited by Draxxon

9 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

the wrong core was running them.

i opened all-games.ini with notepad. I used "find next" and found all the ".zip" instances and changed them to .zia

next i used advanced renamer. loaded all the rom and art files into it, and changed any instance of .zip to .zia in the file names/extension.

I then opened runcommand with notepad and changed .zip to .zia for the FBAlpha core.

Id say it took 10-15 mins.

Thanks! I'm thinking I didn't ensure \emulator\runcommand.lfb was "proper"...but I know now lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

we are learning as we go. cut and pasting what works on the atari and crossing our fingers that it works as is or with some button mapping magic.

there has been something screwy with .zips since the beginning at the GBATemp thread. Im guessing now that they are hardwired to a specific MAME core. Rocketfan figured it out, as usual! :) 

Edited by Draxxon

27 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

we are learning as we go. cut and pasting what works on the atari and crossing our fingers that it works as is or with some button mapping magic.

there has been something screwy with .zips since the beginning at the GBATemp thread. Im guessing now that they are hardwired to a specific MAME core. Rocketfan figured it out, as usual! :) 

I'm loving these devices! My FB9 is cool af, being able to play retrogames with actual Atari (or Wico) joysticks. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a FBX, so I can play the paddle games. I still have working joysticks/paddles from my 2600 system my parents bought for me when I was a kid!

As cool as the Atari stuff is tho, the LFBs are dirt cheap (got my 50 games one for like $15) and it's amazing that you can use Genesis controllers on them and this project totally opens them up. Your hard work is enabling these things to be a better setup than running RetroBoot on a Playstation Classic...and it's extra nice that these little beasts use SD cards vs having to screw around with OTG/USB stuff.

Posted (edited)

Ive been a fan of these systems the whole time too. I do own the other minis (except that damn pricey TG16 and Sega Candy Cab, lmmfao).

But I like that anyone can snag a LFB for cheap still. The packed in pads arent bad at all. and the box/unit is a tank. I have no problem letting all the little kids play it at my house. I like that AtGames was in the dollar store and walmart and any kid could get one. I like that TecToy has a huge fanbase in other countries. I love to see stuff we hack show up half way across the world. 

I liked how magnus RC made all those packs for the PSXClassic and made it easy. I knew mad little pixel was wrong when he said the retrobit super retrocade was the bees knees and atgames sucks. the fucking retrobit sucks. and you can throw those pads straight in the trash can. i dont care if it can play PSX and TG-CD. the foggy filter you cant turn off. the fact it always loads straight into 16:9 stretched mode by default. Crappy UI. takes 4 hours to load the game list, and to hack it properly you need to sacrifice a usb port to a flashdrive and now you need a usb hub. did I mention the pads sucks? lol.

now, Im not gonna lie, I do like my psx classic and tekken 1-3. I like the limited Dreamcast and PSP support. I like the OG PSX pads a lot too. The PSXClassic is another one people said was shit and were wrong about. What sucks about the PSXClassic is it isnt stable. That scanning for games everytime you turn it on is a bricked games list just waiting to happen. and that communities hacks and projects are all over the place. dont flash this update over that one or brick. oh well, hope you kept your original kernel. It is a cool mini, but you have to know what you are doing. With the atgames systems, if you can do an official flash update, you can do a custom one. if you can unzip files and move them to a flashdrive you can do this. oh you screwed it all up??? its on the flashdrive only, download and unzip the 1GB pack again, no biggie. I dont think AA and their links are going dead anytime soon. :) 

Now, if AtGames is smart, or even listening... They need to have the LFB and the AFB come out every Christmas. I have personally gifted a half dozen or more to families around the holidays when the 50 games unit was like 10 bucks clearance at Walmart. If they dont change anything but the games and game count, these packs are just going to get bigger and bigger. I know a lot of people missed the X and the Woodgrain portable. (I dont even see a woodgrain afbp on ebay right now) I see no reason not to come out with them again this Christmas at least. This thing is the gateway for regular people to mess with emulation easily on a large scale. Its okay that its the $25 impulse holiday buy at Walgreens. The future isnt the arcade stuff, as AtGames says, its just the present. Now thats just my personal opinion. It's a niche group that will only buy one, maybe. Its a fad, Im afraid. As a 43 year old with 3 actual arcade games in his living room, people younger than me DGAF.

Edited by Draxxon

3 hours ago, Franky32 said:

By chance do you know where MAME sample should go?

Have to admit I'm not sure about this with the cores we use. I can try looking at the sources for the xtreme core and see what it is doing.

Otherwise I would have three guesses and you could put the samples folder in all three places, see if it works, and if so, remove on at a time until it breaks (welcome to the world of hacking with no sources).

-The /emulator folder.

-The folder where the rom resides.

-the .../data/fba .../data/fbneo .../data/mame2003-extreme .../data/mame/2000 folders (probably these are my best guess).

Posted (edited)

/samples folder with samples go in the folder where the roms are for MAME. I believe.

i think for FBAlpha it is /fba/samples in the rom folder with the roms. 

I should have some already set up.

Edited by Draxxon

Good deal on these controllers Draxxon identified, currently 12.99 and free shipping.  Makes a great player 1 LFB controller, because it has the mode button you can use to add coins in mame or just to break into the menu with a single button.  Also slightly nicer than the aTgames ones and with a longer cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183898582069

Posted (edited)

Thats a good price for the blue pad.

Legends Flashback BOOM! HDMI Game Console, 50 Games - Black (FB8650) - NEW™ 818858029612 | eBay

25 bucks. Free Ship. 9 available. Top rated seller. OBO.

(When I see LFBs for dirt cheap I think to myself "LOL. They don't know")

On the flip side, you see what people are asking for AFB9/Xs these days!?

Edited by Draxxon

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I feel like this setup is somewhat modular. pick a rom_alt folder and go to town. make an upgrade pack.

This is more-or-less what I was driving at.  For the Atari Flashback Nexus the content choices are always finite because of the 1 button limitation.  For this device the content choices are too big to put in everything.  I'll try to improve the "Arcade Classics" section at some point, but I'm really slow with the art and such.  When I tried to fill in my own Megadrive section I was able to "batch process" about 75% of the stuff using Linux Utilities and a set of art I found, plus the all-games script from Draxxon.  Then manually doing the art for the last 20-30 games took me about two weeks!  LOL

Sticker Arcade Classics | MuralDecal.com

2 hours ago, rocketfan said:

...Then manually doing the art for the last 20-30 games took me about two weeks!  LOL

When filling in the descriptions I started by manually typing from the box art images.  I quickly realized I could copy and paste directly from Gamefaqs' summary pages.  Then try a FAQ for button mappings and test them myself.  A labor of love that won't be done anytime soon.

I am amazed at how poorly written a lot of the blurbs on the box art are.  Look at Air Fortress on NES.  Why you would spend a small fortune to get a game ready, then not hire a struggling English major for an hour?  With no internet or G4tv, this blurb is one of your only shots at getting kids excited about the game.  

• Thanks 1

I noticed that the .zin and .zi3 arcade roms don't always load? I converted my .zim TMNT and .zim Simpsons to those format's and the .zi3 runs those the best but it doesn't always work?

1 hour ago, Bartman72 said:

When filling in the descriptions I started by manually typing from the box art images.  I quickly realized I could copy and paste directly from Gamefaqs' summary pages.  Then try a FAQ for button mappings and test them myself.  A labor of love that won't be done anytime soon.

It's awesome to hear someone is doing this.  This is a really nice finishing touch!  I hope you will "publish" your all-games.ini when you are done..

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Gamer2020 said:

I noticed that the .zin and .zi3 arcade roms don't always load? I converted my .zim TMNT and .zim Simpsons to those format's and the .zi3 runs those the best but it doesn't always work?

Hmmm - are you running out of /game?  I have always noticed less stability running things out of /game than when running out of the various rom folders.  Also, ideally don't just rename them but get the proper roms from the corresponding romset:

.zia - fbalpha - v0.2.97.44_roms

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

Hmmm - are you running out of /game?  I have always noticed less stability running things out of /game than when running out of the various rom folders.  Also, ideally don't just rename them but get the proper roms from the corresponding romset:

.zia - fbalpha - v0.2.97.44_roms

Yes I usually run everything from .gme

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Then manually doing the art for the last 20-30 games took me about two weeks!

Try to get a pack of art that matches the rom names, thats not always easy.

EMUMovies has nice art packs. Especially the user WallyWonka. You have to make an account here.

Atari 2600 3D Boxes Pack (HyperList) - Artwork - EmuMovies

No-Intro ROM sets from Archive.org

(get your own links... LMMFAO)

Use flexxi to batch resize art
Flexxi - Batch Image Resizer download | SourceForge.net

Use advanced renamer to batch rename stuff. change extensions. remove spaces, etc.

Advanced Renamer - Free and fast batch rename utility for files and folders

Use the makeini file in /emu to create the allgames file. (remember that it lacks Sort=)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manually, I can crank out 100+ games w/ art in a day, and that is touching each one and doing color correction. But, If you tried to keep that pace every day, your hand is going to cramp like a mofo. I did it once every week or so until there were 1000 atari games with art in the old pack. That's why that pace was the way it was. i hadnt found all the tools yet. Which worked out great. all the covers got touched up and the blemishes painted out. Go look at the boxes in the Atari Vault menu, or even the stock AFB menu boxes and then look at ours.

Nowadays, If everything matches, like the pico-8, its no big deal. Its the odds and ends and rare titles/art and stragglers that eat up all the time. You usually have roms with no art, or, art with no roms when you finish the initial matching up process. doubling back to find the missing roms/art one at a time takes longer.

And, collecting every rom pack and every art pack you can find online, and cross referencing them and getting all you can in the best quality takes forever. That's what we did with  CV, SMS and SG-1000 (And A2600 to a point). Ask @Franky32, We scoured the net. For me this was always a Box Art Project. Strive for the best quality and correct box image. No washed out faded scans. no off-set or crooked borders, No lazy screenshots, no blank art placeholders. Games that never had covers finally get something.

ILoveBacon.a26.pngWrong_Way!_(200x)_(Unknown).cv.pngAtariBlast.car.pngthndbrd.bas.pngmegablast.xex.png

Edited by Draxxon