IGNORED

Help with 800XL keyboard cable repair

bfollowell

I have an 800XL with a ALPS Type 1 Keyboard that I need to repair. The end of the keyboard ribbon cable is in horrible condition. I've thought about simply trimming about half an inch or so off of the end and trying to redo the end of the cable. Has anyone else ever tried this? Were you successful?

IMG-4964.thumb.JPG.75665d20c9cc4df64cd58e94dc5925ce.JPG

Also, I have a more permanent fix in mind so that this won't happen again in the future, regardless of how often I may take my computer apart and remove the keyboard. I'd like to purchase a new edge connector like the keyboard connector on the motherboard. Does anyone know where I might locate a compatible connector? I've looked at my normal suppliers, Digi-Key and Mouser Electronics, but I've not had a lot of luck so far.

connector.jpg.a14aaacda7a0126f0f23154aaa433721.jpg

I'd considered purchasing the promising solution that @Level42 was working on, but that has been going of for about two-and-a-half years, and there's been no updates or information in about seven months, so I think I'm about ready to come up with something on my own.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to help me out.

Hi bfollowell

Yes, I had the same problem and fixed it by cutting the problematic part of the cable with scissors, and then using an exacto knife to carefully expose the metal part of the cable.

This worked OK for me. Keep in mind that if you need to dettach/attach the cable very often, the problem may happen again.

Kind regards,

Luis

Edited by lbaeza
Clarification
  • Like 1

Might as well try cutting the cable. Better long term solution is an IDE type cable with a matching connector on the mobo. Would like to know specifically which cable+matching connector is best to use.

I have a "NOS" from myatari (B&C) ALPS that arrived damaged this same way. The cable end got pushed along the solder joints on the underside of the keyboard PCB because Bruce or Cathy didn't specifically protect the cable end when packing it in their cheap cellophane wrap from the kitchen. 

On one of my machines, I replaced the edge connecter by a pin header. I had a keyboard like yours with true metal wires inside, carefuly removed excessive plastic, and soldered another pin header (of opposite sex) to the flat cable. Now you can detach and attach forever ;)

Edited by ivop

21 minutes ago, ivop said:

On one of my machines, I replaced the edge connecter by a pin header. I had a keyboard like yours with true metal wires inside, carefuly removed excessive plastic, and soldered another pin header (of opposite sex) to the flat cable. Now you can detach and attach forever ;)

I was seriously considering that but, depending on how often I remove the keyboard, and how much flexing there is on those wires, I could see them breaking off of the pin header.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I was seriously considering that but, depending on how often I remove the keyboard, and how much flexing there is on those wires, I could see them breaking off of the pin header.

True, but that's much easier to fix again.

Or wait for this to be tested and working ;)

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/304492-xl-keyboard-technical-drawings/?do=findComment&comment=4808864

That'll be just flat cables going to the motherboard.

I'm also considering a small adapter board similar to @tf_hh 's KEYCON project:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/270312-new-tiny-project-keycon-keyboard-adapter-for-xlxe/

A very small 0.8mm PCB with a pin header, for those who can't or won't desolder the keyboard edge connector.

Edited by ivop

• 9 months later...

So for those whom are not super great at soldering or finding another solution I had the same issue as I replaced my complete motherboard with a new one from Best Electronics.  When pulling it out the clear plastic header was coming away from the pins.  So I took a trimmed piece of double sided clear tape and applied it to the header, I then flattened out the pins with a needle nosed vice grip so they were flat and adhering to the adhesive and with some careful re-insertion whalla the keyboard works as it should.  Will it be a lasting repair? Not sure but it fit into the pin header and got everything to remain flat.