Posted (edited)

Atari Flashback NEXUS - V.0.5.5

(for the AtGames Atari Flashbacks. AFB9 HDMI/Boom! - Model No. AR3050, AFB9 Gold - Model No. AR3650, AFBX - Model No. AR3060 and AFBX Deluxe/Special Edition - Model No. AR3060S. You MUST have Custom Firmware installed that lets you read files from the External USB 3.0 Drive via an OTG Cable.)

This will allow you to add games with box art to the main menu. It will also allow you to sort game libraries into folders. You can now Shutdown and Reboot the system from the controller or Clear the Recently Played games list. It has a Home button that will take you back to the main menu. It allows for custom themes, music and bezels. It takes advantage of the overclock custom firmware. It has been loaded with more emulator cores, and even more can be added. You can change core settings if available. You can remap your buttons. It will also allow each AFB system to run its built in games from the External Drive. You will NOT loose any games. You can remove the External Drive and your system will run stock. You CAN import your /game folder. This package makes NO internal changes to your system. This is a COMMUNITY PROJECT. Feel free to give feedback or lend a hand. You can use all or just parts of this in your own projects if you wish. Thank You to Brad_from_the_80's and MrFister for the Original CFW and RocketFan for the System Changes. Thank you to Gaster, R.Rifonas, Kevin Mos3s, Velvis, Captain Classic, Batchman, MAMEbr, BitMerge and the many other AA and GBA Temp Members who have helped with this over the years, starting with the A.T.A.R.I. (AtariAge Text, Art & ROM Injector).

AFBNexusV.0.5.5.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Now, for the Custom Firmware. Make sure you flash the CORRECT Custom Firmware for your specific model. These updates WILL change your internal system so read the notes carefully. You can always flash back to stock. Official AtGames Firmware Updates and instructions on how to flash them to your system can be found here: AFZ - AtGames

Atari Flashback 9 HDMI/Boom! - Model No. AR3050. This is the standard AFB9 HD Version. It has HDMI video out and an SD Card Slot. Built off of the current firmware V.2.1.1.
AFB9HDV.2.1.1.rar

Atari Flashback 9 Gold - Model No. AR3650. It has HDMI video out and an SD Card Slot. Built off of the current firmware V.2.1.1.

AFB9GoldV.2.1.1.rar

Atari Flashback X - Model No. AR3060. Built off of current firmware V.0.1.21. Both the early model and the later model with the reset hole on the bottom will work with the custom firmware.

AFBXV.0.1.21.rar

Atari Flashback X Deluxe/Special Edition - Model No. AR3060S. Built off of current firmware V.0.1.9. Both the early model and the later model with the reset hole on the bottom will work with the custom firmware.

AFBXDeluxeV.0.1.9.rar

Atari Flashback X and Atari Flashback X Deluxe/Special Edition Overclock firmware. This will unlock the 1.2Ghz GPU and 400Mhz Mali GPU Dynamic Overclock in the NEXUS. WARNING: For advanced users only! You must first flash the correct custom firmware above before flashing this custom firmware. This is for the AFBX and AFBX Deluxe ONLY!! It WILL BRICK an AFB9HD or AFB9Gold. You MUST flash this update from your External USB 3.0 Drive. You CANNOT flash it from your PC with the Android Tools App. Updating from a PC with the App WILL BRICK your system. Use this CFW at your OWN RISK!!

AFBX-AFBXDeluxeOC.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Has anyone used something like this with their Atari Flashback X to put the Nexus on an SD instead of a thumb drive?  Just wondering if it would work and you could power through it. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353467799118?hash=item524c52964e:g:ZkcAAOSwB1Vggi7G

Micro USB 2.0 OTG Adapter SD/Micro SD Card Reader for Smartphone Tablet Android

Or maybe something like this could even be mounted inside where the fake cartridge slot is located? (I never opened mine to see if there is room).

image.png.6c24e31502f41e177d845d5cf2ed769a.png

Edited by rocketfan

Posted (edited)

Brad from the 80s runs sd card thru a high speed adapter. I tried it and feel like the flashdrive is better.
It would give me "loads stock screen on powerup" or "loads stock screen instead of gotos" errors.
slow menus, like when you use a 2.0 USB flashdrive.
Clearly I dont use this 32GB card. It was just here for an easy picture.

WIN_20210430_21_44_49_Pro.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Poor guy made this video yesterday and is using the ATARI pack. ugh... 

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You were one day early, lol. Thanks for promoting the AA site and members. These guys are the real MVPs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.5.6 (Update Only)

This update fixes paddle support for paddle games.  All games listed in the "Paddle Games" section were changed to the AFBX's retroplayer.x. If it is a paddle game and it wasn't in that section, it has NOT been changed yet. Let me know if there are more, please. The question now is, do AFB9 owners still need to use modded paddles? AND if they already have modded paddles, will this fix not work for them? I need to do more testing on the two units. NOTE: AFB9 Owners, you may want to first try their paddles and the paddle games before they apply this update.

DELETE your old /rom_a2600 and your /rom_hb folders and REPLACE them with these. DO NOT just

copy over the old files.
NEXUSv5.6.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This doesnt get mentioned much, but by my count we have 10 Backgrounds.

1. Nexus - Atari Flashback 8/9 Gold BG (Iron Pyrite)

2. Nexus Launcher - Atari Vault BG

3. Atari 2600 - Kevin's AFB9 Wood ver.2A BG (Kevin's Wood)

4. Atari 2600 HomeBrew - Micro Center's Atari Raspberry Pi BG (Sear's Micro Fiver)

5. Default BG - Atari Flashback 8/9/X/XD BG (Sans Boom)

6. Atari Arcade - StarWars BG (Dark Vader)

7. Atari Arcade Launcher - RetroN77 BG

8. ColecoVision Flashback - Legends Flashback 2 BG (@tSames)

9. Sega - Sega Flashback BG (Nega Drive)

10. Legends Flashback - Legends Flashback BG (Unnecessarily Legendary)

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Draxxon said:

we have 10 Backgrounds

I REALLY like some of these themes - so I'm glad I don't have to choose and you used them throughout the menu system.  THANKS Draxxon!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Draxxon said:

So, I just realized that @Sandro Butcher runs the Universo Atari 2600 YouTube channel.
Thank you for the promotions, kind sir! 

Universo Atari 2600 - YouTube

Good night, many people who participate in my group and community on Facebook loved your work on Atari Flashback 9 and X, I have two videos on youtube showing the final result and I am helping anyone interested in modifying indicating their post and their channel on youtube , I'm looking forward to installing version 5.6 on my Flashback 9 AR 3050, congratulations on your work!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

from 5.5 to 5.6 the only thing that changed was what system retroplayer runs the paddle games. Now we have the AFBXs system running them and regular paddles work on the AFBX. If you have AFB9 and paddles, test them on version 5.5 before you load 5.6. If your paddles work, don't load version 5.6 onto your AFB9.

Im guessing if you have modded paddles, they will stop working, if you have original paddles they may now work on AFB9 with NEXUS v5.6

No one has tested and reported back yet.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

I literally just stumbled upon the "Atari Flashback Nexus" community project about 10 mins ago. I saw it on Youtube and immediately jumped to Atariage. :)

I have a quick question. If I have the FB9 Gold can all the games, box art, music, bezels, etc. be copied over to an SD card eventually and then use the built in SD card slot instead of needing an OTG cable and USB stick?

I see mentioned in the first post that the FB9 series needs an OTG cable and USB drive to work, but I'm not sure if that is simply to install the firmware and then once done, all the game content can be copied to and used on an SD card, or both the firmware and game content can only run from USB thus making the SD card slot useless.

If anyone can confirm whether the FB9's SD slot can work or not with the Nexus project, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Draugr
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Draugr said:

If I have the FB9 Gold can all the games, box art, music, bezels, etc. be copied over to an SD card eventually and then use the built in SD card slot instead of needing an OTG cable and USB stick?

Welcome!  Yes, for the FB9 Nexus just runs off the SD card.  No OTG cable or USB stick is required.  Those are only required for the AFBX which does nt have the SD slot.

If you look at the second of the two videos by Sandro (post #9 from Draxxon above), that is Nexus running on an FB9 Gold.  If you already have a custom FW installed on your FB9 (see post #1 - don't use the wrong FW, and no need to re-apply if you already have it) then all you need is to copy the contents of the full Nexus to an empty SD card, boot the system with the card inserted - and PLAY.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I'm sorry. AFB9s just use the SD Card like normal. AGBXs need an OTG and Drive like normal. That 1st post was confusing.

And YES, if you already have CFW installed, you WONT need to flash anything to use this pack. The CFW in the 2nd post is the same the community has been using, just reposted for convenience. Make sure you know what Model you have and what version number firmware you need.

Overclock CFW is the stuff to be careful with. If you need info, just ask before you flash. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets talk about the cores: Do we need anymore? Is there just something we have to have? Do you know how to add them to your set up and test them??
index - powered by h5ai v0.29.0 (https://larsjung.de/h5ai/) (libretro.com)

Edited by Draxxon

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

from 5.5 to 5.6 the only thing that changed was what system retroplayer runs the paddle games. Now we have the AFBXs system running them and regular paddles work on the AFBX. If you have AFB9 and paddles, test them on version 5.5 before you load 5.6. If your paddles work, don't load version 5.6 onto your AFB9.

Im guessing if you have modded paddles, they will stop working, if you have original paddles they may now work on AFB9 with NEXUS v5.6

No one has tested and reported back yet.

I will test with 5.5 and give the feedback here for everyone.

I tested both version 5.5 and update 5.6 on the Atari Flashback 9 AR3050 and AR 3650 and neither of them made the paddles work .... I still get the system warning that the paddles don't work on Atari Flashback 9, I hope I have helped with this information.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OK, here's where I am at. I have the AFBX Deluxe.

I used NEXUS 0.5.5, loaded into Atari 2600 games, went to paddle games, and loaded Breakout.

I removed the joystick, and plugged in my paddles, then tried to play the game. The paddles did not work.

If I pushed one button on the paddles, the on-screen paddle would move one direction, if I pushed the button on the other paddle, it would move the other direction.

I turned off the Flashback, moved the USB drive to my computer, and deleted the two requested folders, then copied new folders over from NEXUS 0.5.6

I went through the process again, 2600 games, paddle games, Breakout, then once the game was loaded, removed the joystick and plugged in the paddles.

The warning about not using the paddles except for paddle games popped up, and disappeared when I pushed the button on one of the paddles. (The warning did not come up at all on NEXUS 0.5.5) Still, neither paddle worked properly by turning the paddles, but the paddle would move a bit by pressing the buttons.

Neither version would work at all for me. ::pouts:: (Sorry, I just love some of the paddle games, and miss them.)

[Edit]Sorry it took a couple of days to get around to this. For this evening, if you want me to try anything else or report on anything else, I'll try to get to it more quickly.[/edit]

Edited by Batchman

Posted (edited)

Should I 'dig out' my AFB9G and try both versions on it, as well, as an extra data point?

[edit]OK, to confirm, I loaded NEXUS 0.5.5 on my SD card and plugged it in to my AFB9G (or is it P? Anyway, the later, more advanced model) Loaded up both Breakout and Kaboom, neither one so much as acknowledged the paddles when I plugged them in. I never got even the warning about paddles for paddle games.

Deleted the two folders, uploaded the 0.5.6 versions, same thing, no response at all of any sort to trying to use the paddles.

After that, removed the SD card entirely, and tried to use the paddles on the stock game. This time around, no warning about only using paddles for paddle games, no response from turning the paddles, but pushing the buttons would cause the paddle to slowly move to one side or the other.

No success using either 0.5.5 or 0.5.6 on either the 9 Gold or the X Deluxe.

But everything else looks great, and the current NEXUS version seems to work fine on my 9.

Edited by Batchman

I couldn't do it either with the AR 3050 or with the AR 3060, I installed 5.5 and update 5.6, none of them worked with paddling, unfortunately because I also love games for paddle controllers. Anyway, the work so far is excellent, much better than the original version.

4 hours ago, Batchman said:

No success using either 0.5.5 or 0.5.6 on either the 9 Gold or the X Deluxe.

This is really confusing, because we had a report of paddles working fine (on AFBX) once the AFBX retroplayer was used for those games.  Velvis said:

"So renaming warlords and Medieval mayhem to a26x and moving it to the game folder with the paddles plugged into port 2 immediately pops up the connecting paddles message and both games work fine with paddles."

I still don't have paddles, btw.

Are you using port 2 like Velvis?  Also, are you using Original Atari paddles, or ones that came with a flashback?  Because I think there is a whole can of worms about which paddles work on which flashbacks.

If we can find what makes these paddles work, even if there is not a single solution for both Xs and 9s, we could set something up.