On 6/5/2021 at 12:58 AM, Draxxon said:

I'm wondering what Lutro and Tic80 has to offer.

Those look like the cores are available, so if they work they are no brainers!  I looked at tic-80 and the only downside would be artwork as I don't think the carts have the build in graphic of Pico-8.  maybe just come up  with a generic cart to use for all games or settle for screen-shots?

Posted (edited)

I couldn't figure out Fairchild Channel F, so I removed the section. I left the .chf support in there in case someone else wants to try in the future. (same thing with Commodore computers). I started to mess with WonderSwan, Dinothawr and Lutro last night. WonderSwan games load. some screens are rotated, there are quite a few games compared to the NeoGeo Pocket. Dinothawr core works, but there is either no sound or I had the TV volume all the way down. (It was late and everyone was sleeping here.) so, I need to check again today.  I've got Lutro set up but I haven't had any luck starting games, black screen then back to menu. I tried running the core with all 3 RPs and both .lua and .lutro extensions. I'm going to move on to Tic-80 today. I found a few more 1-button Pico-8 games. I also heard the Daphne core is being a little bitch! that sucks!

LodeRunner.ws.gme MrDriller.wsc.gme 

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

NEXUS NEWS:

GameGear (.gg) and Sega32X (.32X) got support with the retroplayer L. (Yes somehow some 32X games have been squeezed on here with button mapping magic.) Some Genesis games were also added. 32X games are going to be found in the Sega Genesis flashback section. Some GBA games were also added. 'Wilfus is working on Dragon's Lair for Sega-CD behind the scenes. HUGE Thank you to Wilfwilfus for putting this all together and masterminding it all. You have a really good grasp on how all this is set up and make it easy.

A800 section got play tested. Broken file paths were fixed, Broken games were swapped with working ones, NTSC and PAL settings were corrected for a few games. Nice new box art, that looks legit is also being added. We plan to fill the A800 section with 400~500 games, or whenever it starts taking longer to load the section. Again, HUGE Thanks to Fred for making this happen and being the brains behind the operation. Thank you also for being eager to learn this setup and how to edit it yourself. You too, make this simple for me.

Cores, we are looking for cores. It takes alot of time and experimenting. RocketFan is busy behind the scenes trying to get Daphne working, and for anyone who has ever set that up, it is a GIANT PITA. It's not going well, but that never stopped ol' Rocket before. So fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure he has lots of projects up his sleeves. Personally, I'm getting all the changes in and staying pretty well caught up with all the cooks in this kitchen. So far, so good. This pack is getting big, and there is now a LOT of files/folders in here. I'm trying to stay organized. Next on my list is to tinker with the Namco WonderSwan and Tic-80 cores.

I've touched a lot of sections by now, and removed one, without keeping an update organized. Also, for those following along, you should have some "dead" A5200 ports and a few other files that need removed. So, a FULL Version 8 is coming now.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

what is the ideal sd card to use? 

4 hours ago, Yurkie said:

what is the ideal sd card to use? 

many can be used, I think

for my A Flashback 9

I use a Kingston SD HC 8 GB

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.8.0 (FULL VERSION)

CODENAME: Sue Per Sea-Sandy Cyst Seedy

NEXUSv8.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

is there a way to make SegaCD play audio cd files?

I would think it's possible IF they are in cue/bin format.

But you might have to have a separate entry for each disc, just like the games.

Edited by TheRingBearer

Posted (edited)

i think that genplusgx supports .bin/.cue, .iso and .chd. From what I remember on the LFB, .chd is the best quality. Ive been playing Sonic CD for a bit today. That is what the examples in the NEXUS are now. Im pretty sure you cant switch discs for multidisc games, but I dont think that is an issue for NEXUS but ULTIMATE. SEGA-CD really shines on the LFB. That functionality has been there the whole time. And its more reliable than a 25+ year old Sega CD disc drive. And you can use real controllers. The SegaCD bios files have been in both projects since the very first versions. "FUTURE-PROOF". Check here for more info on SegaCD emulator functionality: Internet Archive: View Archive

Also picodrive is set up to run .bin right now, but I think that could be changed.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Draxxon said:

is there a way to make SegaCD play audio cd files?

I don't know about this - However I am going to bang on the core for media a bit more.  I have another idea or two.

On 6/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, Draxxon said:

RocketFan is busy behind the scenes trying to get Daphne working, and for anyone who has ever set that up, it is a GIANT PITA. It's not going well,

That is an understatement!  🙂  Sorry to shake your faith, but for now I'm throwing in the towel.  I have been lucky (OK I'm also persistent/stubborn) on some other stuff, but I really think the libretro core I'm working with is not ready for prime-time and especially on a device at this power level.  I finally proved to myself there is no standard libretro sound support in that source at all.  The CoinOps guys got it going for Legends Ultimate - maybe they will publish their source changes back to Github at some point and we can see if they put normal sound support in or not.  The Sega CD stuff is a much better idea.  All those games have huge data files though! 

Meanwhile I just downloaded Nexus 8.0 and want to play some games.  😃

PS - New Atari 8-Bit home-brew published HERE.

Edited by rocketfan

Posted (edited)

yes the files are huge. For the LFB I had multiple 32GB cards to run them from the /game folder. That is why our v8 NEXUS pack jumped in size, but, Sonic CD plays well on here and after the Daphne core fiasco, it was a way to get Dragons Lair and Space Ace working.

I dont know how many 1button SEGACD games there are, so Im not sure how much space we need. I want to say that the AFB9 supports up to 8GB and we are around 2GB unzipped now.

=======================================================================================

Thats something else Ive been meaning to mention. When we started this project it was clear the AFB9 was superior to the AFBX. I dont feel that way anymore. Loading games from the USB is faster than from the SD Card, so I feel all the talk about "we want the SD card slot back, its easier" was ultimately wrong and doesnt apply anymore. Its almost unbearable on the LFBs as far as loading files from the card. the USB drive is better. also we have all the functionality of the 9, paddle support, and arent limited to 8GBs (or even 32GBs like the LFBs). The X also has overclock. To be honest, I dont like the look of the 9 compared to an X and Wireless atari joysticks just doesnt do it for me, but that is just my opinion and maybe the only edge the 9 has over the X. And whenever i see a system keel over from a flash update, its an AFB9.

Can the storage size be increased on the 9 if that time comes? I want to say I asked this one before.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

yes the files are huge. For the LFB I had multiple 32GB cards to run them from the /game folder. That is why our v8 NEXUS pack jumped in size, but, Sonic CD plays well on here and after the Daphne core fiasco, it was a way to get Dragons Lair and Space Ace working.

I dont know how many 1button SEGACD games there are, so Im not sure how much space we need. I want to say that the AFB9 supports up to 8GB and we are around 2GB unzipped now.

=======================================================================================

Thats something else Ive been meaning to mention. When we started this project it was clear the AFB9 was superior to the AFBX. I dont feel that way anymore. Loading games from the USB is faster than from the SD Card, so I feel all the talk about "we want the SD card back, its easier" was ultimately wrong and doesnt apply anymore. Its almost unbearable on the LFBs as far as loading files from the card. the USB drive is better. also we have all the functionality of the 9, paddle support, and arent limited to 8GBs (or even 32GBs).

Can the storage size be increased on the 9 if that time comes? I want to say I asked this one before.

Hey, I've been using a 16GB SD in my LFB9 and it seems to work fine. I've got some larger ones lurking around here somewhere...I'll try and find one and see how big I can go...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have a 4GB in my AFB9, I thought it was 8GB max, so that is good to hear.  (maybe I was thinking about the portable?)

On the LFB it used to be 16GB max and the later updates made it 32GB max.

Again, all this is if I recall correctly.

Edited by Draxxon

8 hours ago, rocketfan said:

The CoinOps guys got it going for Legends Ultimate - maybe they will publish their source changes back to Github at some point and we can see if they put normal sound support in or not.

Don't know if this will help, but here is the core that is used to get the Daphne games running on Legends Ultimate.

daphne_libretro_20201001.rar

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Loading games from the USB is faster than from the SD Card, so I feel all the talk about "we want the SD card slot back, its easier" was ultimately wrong and doesnt apply anymore. Its almost unbearable on the LFBs as far as loading files from the card. the USB drive is better.

I just recently did the update on my LFB and was wondering why it was so slow to navigate the interface.  Good to know.

Posted (edited)

I can help, what are you trying to do, make nested categories inside of categories?

all rom folders go on the root of the device, use the goto command to make the thumb appear where you want it to.

lets say you want a subfolder of homebrew inside of A5200. make a new rom_A52HB or whatever you want to name it and all the roms, art, /data and /res folders and the all-games.ini go in there. it should be on the root of your device. It is set up just the same as any other folder.

next go to your rom_a5200 folder and make an entry in that all-games.ini file there for your new section (just the same as the nexus home thumb is programmed in there.) I think NEXUS v2 or so has lots of examples. 

you dont want to nest your folders on the drive itself, but program the sections where you want them to show up in the system files.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Another idea I had, maybe this is your idea, is you could nest all the sega games under the SGFB folder. on the NEXUS hub you could have one entry for SGFB, when you go there it is another hub, of the 6 sega folders, MD, CD, 32X, GG, MS and SG. You could even make a section for SEGA only arcade games. We did this on NEXUS in the very beginning versions. We had Menus, inside of Menus, inside of menus. Inception type of stuff. The problem was how to get out, do you exit to the Top menu or a sub-menu? Its Nexus so its is "totally flexible". You can make whatever you want. Then we had a "Return" to top menu switch, that went out in steps. But you can make a goto link from anywhere to anywhere.

Cons:

It takes 4+ seconds to load a section. Hoping around more to extra hubs takes time.

Its confusing for people to navigate if they didnt set it up and know what is where.

Pros:

As the Nexus folder list gets more convoluted with non-atari stuff, its a way to hide some folders.

If you wanted to set it up with subfolders, you can. And thats totally cool.
You can create a "goto" adventure. A labyrinth to navigate for the user.

Edited by Draxxon

15 hours ago, Draxxon said:

I can help, what are you trying to do, make nested categories inside of categories?

all rom folders go on the root of the device, use the goto command to make the thumb appear where you want it to.

lets say you want a subfolder of homebrew inside of A5200. make a new rom_A52HB or whatever you want to name it and all the roms, art, /data and /res folders and the all-games.ini go in there. it should be on the root of your device. It is set up just the same as any other folder.

next go to your rom_a5200 folder and make an entry in that all-games.ini file there for your new section (just the same as the nexus home thumb is programmed in there.) I think NEXUS v2 or so has lots of examples. 

you dont want to nest your folders on the drive itself, but program the sections where you want them to show up in the system files.

it is working ! thanks

just when quitting game if I can go back to main rom_a5200 

Posted (edited)

As is it is set up now, you exit to the menu you are currently in, you will have to goto rom_a5200 from there. Maybe try the "return to top menu" goto switch from the earlier versions.

Its more load times while hopping around the folders. It's why setting up nested categories isnt ideal at this point in time. But that is like, just my opinion, man.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Here is a lutro core I hacked into working and the very few games (more like demos) I found to be working. 

It's not an overly useful core unless someone locates more content - I was hoping it would play "Love" games but nothing I tried loaded - I may be missing something.  I do like the light-saber weapon in the Spaceship game though. 

DeepDungeon plays but is super-slo-mo

As usual the .so file goes in /emulator, here are lines to add the case to /emulator/runcommand.lfb:

"lutro")
      /usr/bin/startx /tmp/retroplayer.l ${dev}/emulator/lutro_libretro.so $gm >/dev/null 2>&1
     ;;

The games are set up with the added .gme extension so they can be placed in the /game folder.

I meant to post this in the Legends Flashback Ultimate thread - so far the games are all multi-button.

lutro_libretro.so DeepDungeon.lutro.gme GameofLife.lutro.gme Spaceship.lutro.gme OnionKidd.lutro.gme

Edited by rocketfan

On 6/7/2021 at 5:24 PM, Draxxon said:

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.8.0 (FULL VERSION)

CODENAME: Sue Per Sea-Sandy Cyst Seedy

NEXUSv8.rar 1.48 GB · 25 downloads

I downloaded this copied it to sd card and unzipped it and removed the .rar but left all the folders as is. I then inserted into my FB9 Gold(just got it today), nothing happened when I powered on console and no SD option on the left of menu screen. What do I need to do?