Posted (edited)

Flash the custom firmware first. It is in post #2. 

You only want to flash the correct custome firmware 1 time, and then delete the update image file.

You can leave all the NEUXS folders where they are now.
put this update image on the root of the drive with them, power on.

you will be prompted to push left for the update, push left, wait until it finishes, reboots and asks again.

when it asks again, pick no. turn off the system and remember to delete the update image, or it will ask you every time you power on.

(I have reposted this here, just for you, to avoid any confusion in updating.)

Atari Flashback 9 Gold - Model No. AR3650. It has HDMI video out and an SD Card Slot. Built off of the current firmware V.2.1.1.

AFB9GoldV.2.1.1.rar7.5 MB · 34 downloads

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

NEXUS NEWS:

So far I've spent two days using sub-folders and I like it a lot better.

On the main Nexus Hub screen I have all the Atari entries and the four extra "Virtual Flashbacks" (CV, IV, SMD and LFB).
I also have entries for Favorites and Linux Ports. Overflow 2021 homebrew game got added.

Sega Genesis Flashback is now a Hub and it got all the Sega sections. I created a Genesis section and also a new Sega Arcade section.

Mostly to help fill out the new Sega Hub and to lighten the loading times on the overloaded LFB/Arcade games folder. I am now in the process of moving all the Sega arcade games like Frogger and Congo Bongo to the new section. I tested the Sega Dreamcast VMU (Visual Memory Unit) emulator, "vemulator". All I got was a garbled title screen. 

The Legends Flashback folder is also now a Hub. I created a new section for Arcade Games and moved everything else that was left here.
Everything feels a lot more "Atari-y" and "Flashbacky". Lutro core was added but no section. Lots of Nintendo Virtual Boy, and Game Boy games were added. Some Pico-8 games. Buttons got set for some games that needed it. Ive been testing the pokemon mini and Wonderswan core. Still no sections for them. Probably some more stuff.

I have also completely polished the Nexus hub, centered the blue bar selectors with the text, added the joystick controls key to the bottom of the details page, Sorted all the sections by Alphabet instead of release. Mainly because it says "Alphabetical" on the sidebar menu. I removed the "1.2Ghz" from the bottom right corner since not everyone uses overclock. I created a default "Nexus" bezel in case anyone ever makes custom bezels... really a whole lot more little stuff that Ive noticed needed corrected forever now and havent gotten around to doing it. Now that its all cleaned up, Im thinking about resurrecting some old Atari Nexus sections like A2600 SuperCharger and A2600 Hacks to lighten the loading times on A2600 and A2600 Homebrew.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

i am busy creating A800 subfolders (one per main company that published games)

can you upload your subfolder work, so I can be inspired ? ;)

8 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Flash the custom firmware first. It is in post #2. 

You only want to flash the correct custome firmware 1 time, and then delete the update image file.

You can leave all the NEUXS folders where they are now.
put this update image on the root of the drive with them, power on.

you will be prompted to push left for the update, push left, wait until it finishes, reboots and asks again.

when it asks again, pick no. turn off the system and remember to delete the update image, or it will ask you every time you power on.

(I have reposted this here, just for you, to avoid any confusion in updating.)

Atari Flashback 9 Gold - Model No. AR3650. It has HDMI video out and an SD Card Slot. Built off of the current firmware V.2.1.1.

AFB9GoldV.2.1.1.rar7.5 MB · 34 downloads

Thank You I will try it tonight.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

i am busy creating A800 subfolders (one per main company that published games)

can you upload your subfolder work, so I can be inspired ? ;)

Im not quite finished and it takes about 4 hours for me to upload the pak these day.

Im shooting for Friday, July 2nd for the next full release. (v9 codename: Sub-Folder & Wiser)

This time around I did not use the confusing return switch, even though I like it and like the idea of 5 digital switches.

Instead you have a home button thumbnail like the nexus box. LFB Home if you are in that section, SGFB home button for that section. They also both contain a Nexus home button for easy access. The favorites folder shows up in all 3 hubs. The CVFB and IVFB sections have been moved from the Nexus folder to the LFB folder.

I'm basically cleaning it up so you have just atari sections in the Neuxs. I feel like the LFBD plays atari games, so it makes sense for it to show up in the NEXUS list. Its also the logical evolution of the SGFB, so I think it makes for it to show up there as well. I like the idea of powering on to Atari only stuff, and then if you click on LFB box, there is still a giant list of everything that works here.

Edited by Draxxon

NEXUS NEWS:

You power on to Atari Only folders. Jukebox, Favorites and LFB are also here.

I eliminated the SGFB Hub/section. Its not needed. All the Sega folders were moved to the LFB Hub. They still have their SGFB BG themes.

The Sega Arcade section was Nixed.

The Linux Ports folder was moved to the LFB Hub.

The Atari Jaguar section was added to the Nexus Hub. Pinball Fantasies is in there, as expected it runs super slow and is basically unplayable. 

I noticed Breakout 2000, Missile Command 3D, Raiden, Tempest 2000, Ruiner Pinball, etc., as possible candidates, but they will be so slow. Im not sure I will mess with it any time soon. But, the Jaguar core is set up to test.
The CVFB and IVFB box art/sections were changed to just CV and IV, and moved to the LFB Hub. They still have their "flashback" BG themes.

The Arcadia/Starpath SuperCharger and Atari 2600 Hacked Games sections were resurrected from Nexus v2.5.

• Like 2

I tried a 2GB SanDisk and a 4GB PNY. I get audio glitching and complete loss of audio and occasional game play issues with both. They are class 4, do I need to use a faster speed card? Or is there another issue?

Posted (edited)

I have heard of those issues once before and the sd card was the suspect.

Im telling you guys, the X is better than the 9. The OTG and Flashdrive is faster than the SD Card.

(from the AFB9 CFW thread, User= @Atariboy)

But now that it's all finished, I'm having performance issues. Significant audio issues in games a few seconds in.

I'll restart the process later starting with the firmware update and see if it works any better the second time around. If not, I suppose a cheap (new) SD card should be the next thing I check.

I went through the process to install these homebrew updates once more after I last posted, but I still had severe audio issues and had to give up for now. But I would like to try again soon with a brand new SD card.

I'm fairly confident my troubles are with the old SD card I was using.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

NEXUS NEWS:
I didnt do much today. I jacked with the legends core instead, and it blows. total waste of time.

I stripped all the instances of "AtGames" from the NEXUS project. Reworked a lot of the folder art.

Also, this Atari Pi is starting to call my name.....

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Also, this Atari Pi is starting to call my name.....

Capture.PNG

Save your money and just buy the case.  The rest is garbage.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 7:02 AM, TheRingBearer said:

Don't know if this will help, but here is the core that is used to get the Daphne games running on Legends Ultimate.

Those devices run a 64 bit version of Linux so the cores are not compatible.  If they made the sources available we might be able to get it working, but these devices are also limited to emulating simpler systems just by performance. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

Save your money and just buy the case.  The rest is garbage.

Youre right as far as the atari pi image you get. (we did strip the background out and throw it in NEXUS)

But, I already bought it. It was 70 on sale at microcenter. I think the case was just 11 bucks by itself.

Ive got a fan and heatsinks in there, external power switch, a 2nd vilros ps2 pad (just because thats what comes packed in with it)

I got a couple usb trooper II sticks as well. And a bluetooth mini keyboard with built in mouse.

I feel like i could build a new, better image and change everyone's minds about the Atari Pi. there is no reason it couldn't be awesome in my mind.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Everyone thank RocketFan for the new core. ffmpeg_libretro.so

rom_amv.goto.png

The plan is to stick a couple vintage Atari print ads and commercials in here for examples.
Does anyone here have any ideas what you would like to stash in there?

I love this one:

stevie.jpg

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

thank you to @bobstossaway for the last AtGames background we were missing.

I appreciate you BOB, I will throw your name in the NEXUS somewhere!

background.jpg

• Thanks 1

No art, these are just for testing in the game folder.

Let me know what's 1 button.

Atari 7800 Homebrew/Unlicensed pack:

A7800_HB.rar

Posted (edited)

Happy to help, no credit necessary. 

I figured I'd also drop you the controller config files. Let's you know exactly which controllers are setup for that Core you got.

Anything else you'd like or want, feel free.

Edited by bobstossaway
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I know RocketFan wants source code for the LFB/AFBX. IDK how similar the code is on the Legends Family, but it may help him.

Edited by Draxxon

I think when you use the shortcut to bypass the details page and exit straight to the game list menu, the system doesn't add the game you just played to the recently played games list.

@bobstossaway, you happen to have the source code for retroplayer?

Our thinking is if we can rebuild retroplayer we can add support for other controllers.

I don't. I have it decompiled in Ghidra, but its essentially useless to use that to rebuild it. Likely it is on GitHub somewhere, but private.

You'd be better off finding out how other controllers work and what libraries or binaries are required and adding them to USB and using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to link the libraries in your run script for the binaries. Then add your mappings to the config file. Haven't tried this, but I imagine it would work.

• Thanks 1