Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Just wondering how many people here following the NEXUS project also own Hyperkin RetroN77s?

No Retron 77, I have the Fb1, 2, X and over 60 real Ataris 🤣

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Maybe someone could experiment with free cdg generating software.  I think there are some out there.

I am trying to find some good and free CDG generators,but the choice is very limited. Tomorrow I will continue my efforts to use the Karaoke Machine as a kind of MP3 player. As the sound of the Pokey chip in the a800 emulator on the FBX is so bad, I am planning/trying to replace the Jukebox module in my private modified Nexus image with MP3s 🙂 

Edited by Fred_M

Posted (edited)

I will take a look too. I checked a couple videos for making cdgs and its all over the place. I would be happy if just the album cover showed as the mp3 played.

I did try making a dummy .cdg file, that didnt work. I did make a entry for .mp3 in the runcommand, it works. It still shows pocketcdg at the bottom of the screen, and the graphics on screen go from black screen to some weird broken a2600 adventure type of screen, but, you can play mp3s now.

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.9.1 (.mp3 support update only)

emulator.rar

Edited by Draxxon

I've been out of the loop lately. Has any progress been made with MAME paddle support?

Happy 4th!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Velvis said:

I've been out of the loop lately. Has any progress been made with MAME paddle support?

Happy 4th!

Yes, it works. RocketFan figured it out. I think warlords is ready to go in the current pack.
I want to say it was .zim and .zi3 extensions??? Maybe Rocket will be on tonite and explain better.

Edited by Draxxon

42 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I did try making a dummy .cdg file, that didnt work. I did make a entry for .mp3 in the runcommand, it works. It still shows pocketcdg at the bottom of the screen, and the graphics on screen go from black screen to some weird broken a2600 adventure type of screen, but, you can play mp3s now.

That is great news! Thank you so much!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Draxxon said:

its something we added. to disable it, go into your emulator folder and delete or rename the "restart_return" file.

It was so we could exit out of folders easily with other joysticks that lacked the menu, rewind, start and select buttons. I know that it has an issue where it wont add your last played game to your Recently Played list.

@wilfwilfus, I think your boxart+screenshot combos look great. Any chance you would share those?

thanks! Why are my "favorites" listed in alphabetical order but in reverse? z to a

the system adds your favorites as you add them, try instead redoing it from z-a. It does this stock.

4 hours ago, Velvis said:

Yes, the mame-2003-xtreme core (files with .zi3 extension) has OK Atari paddle support at this point.  And a couple weeks ago (?) I stumbled on a Warlords rom from a 2003+ set which is sounds like Draxxon included in the Nexus 9.  

So - with a set of paddles in the right port you can control two of the players in Warlords.  I made a guess about using the other two paddles, but I don't have great confidence in that. 

Hmm... so much wrong here lol  But she is young and probably does not have much real experience with the ol Atari 2600 :)

Posted (edited)

Youtube video game reviewers are the worst. I wont even start.

That's a legit question though. Which one is better?

It's more complicated than "The AFBX wins. Prettier case." at this point.

Out of the box, and used as intended, I would say the AFB9 wins.

After hacking them both, the AFBX wins, in my opinion. NEXUS+Overclock.

The SD card is cheaper, easier and cleaner looking for side-loading Atari 2600 ROMs without art, the intended way. 

But, if your loading Sonic CD in the Nexus pack you might want that 3.0 flash drive after all. It all just depends what you're doing.
(Ultimately the AFB9 is going to be limited to 32GB SD Cards, not a big deal at this point. But could be one day.)

I guess the X has crummy paddles support without having to mod anything, so thats a plus.
Wireless joysticks are okay, that's neat. i wouldn't consider them better than the wired ones tho.
(They take batteries and introduce lag. But, you cant trip over the cord, so thats a plus, I guess.)

If you are "Doing the most" with your AFBs, I would say you would want an AFBX, no question. 
If you are just wanting to load Atari 2600 ROMs only, and can sort paddles, then the AFB9 is the winner.

The way I see it, you want an AFB1, AFB2, AFB9 and an AFBX, if you are a game collector.
Just my thoughts, dont shoot me.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Last night I finally had a chance to unload the Nexus9 onto a stick and play some games.  First, I wasn't sure about the new sub-menu business but now I get it and it seems pretty good.  I like the two-tiered approach that keeps all the Atari related stuff at top, plus the links into the "other" section in each place make it easy to reach into the huge world of non-Atari content on there.

The Karaoke section is very neat.  as Draxxon knows I was sort of skeptical about it, but it turns out that core works great and it is fun and the selection of songs Draxxon picked is very good also.  Seeing the "FU" song on the second or third page of album covers makes me think we need a "Family Friendly" switch in the UI someplace to hide all the content I don't want my 7 year old (or my elderly mom) to see, 😆  I'm convinced we could do it with a script/command at this point.  I have some ideas but not sure if anyone but me cares?  

There is so much content now it's impossible to do a "quick" canvas of everything anymore.  Has anyone counted games?  Most things I used worked great - and I tried a lot.  As usual with a new release from Draxxon, once I get going I end up staying up way too late playing random games!  🙂

A couple of things I did notice:

The Jaguar performance is virtually unplayable.  I expected this, since even higher-end devices struggle with that emulator.  Does anyone know if any of the included games are working well enough to play? 

I notice Berzerk still has no sound, but thought the samples stuff from experimenting on the LFB Ultimate project would probably make it in there.  I will look at it more sometime soon to figure out what is up.

PS - It is awesome to see the per games Bezels for 2600 from MrFister make it into the Nexus release!!!

Edited by rocketfan

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

Last night I finally had a chance to unload the Nexus9 onto a stick and play some games.  First, I wasn't sure about the new sub-menu business but now I get it and it seems pretty good.  I like the two-tiered approach that keeps all the Atari related stuff at top, plus the links into the "other" section in each place make it easy to reach into the huge world of non-Atari content on there.

The Karaoke section is very neat.  as Draxxon knows I was sort of skeptical about it, but it turns out that core works great and it is fun and the selection of songs Draxxon picked is very good also.  Seeing the "FU" song on the second or third page of album covers makes me think we need a "Family Friendly" switch in the UI someplace to hide all the content I don't want my 7 year old (or my elderly mom) to see, 😆  I'm convinced we could do it with a script/command at this point.  I have some ideas but not sure if anyone but me cares?  

There is so much content now it's impossible to do a "quick" canvas of everything anymore.  Has anyone counted games?  Most things I used worked great - and I tried a lot.  As usual with a new release from Draxxon, once I get going I end up staying up way too late playing random games!  🙂

A couple of things I did notice:

The Jaguar performance is virtually unplayable.  I expected this, since even higher-end devices struggle with that emulator.  Does anyone know if any of the included games are working well enough to play? 

I notice Berzerk still has no sound, but thought the samples stuff from experimenting on the LFB Ultimate project would probably make it in there.  I will look at it more sometime soon to figure out what is up.

PS - It is awesome to see the per games Bezels for 2600 from MrFister make it into the Nexus release!!!

FU can just change the cover, also it mentions "Atari" in that song.
(the song/lyrics, are in fact, the clean version. I just really enjoy shocking people :) )
Jaguar is unplayable, but they are in there anyways.
There are a lot of clone games in here now too. Traditionally people hate them.

But we have already processed them, they have unique box artwork, and they

take up virtually no space. And get their own folder. I enjoy having the clones at this point.
Sub-folders is better i think. Anytime I change the nexus it feels weird for awhile and then I get used to it.

I have had subfolders for 3 weeks now, I dont think I would want to go back.

new.pngnew.s.png

And yes, there is a lot of content now. I think there is a double enrty in homebrew or hacks, and i want to say that the ntsc folder has a bad link for the diagnostic test cart. (i think its linked to the Point of Sale demo). I still feel like I can remember where everything is at, and how it all works, but its getting harder.

In other news, RocketFan figured out how to import all your games you have favorited in the various sections to propagate in the favorites folder. And Fred_M figured out how to use the CD+G file makers. So you can create your own on screen graphics for mp3s.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

for the family friendly switch. what if...

we used an unused line from the all games entry like 

Platform=XXX

and then the cmd scans all your all-games.ini files in the various folders and removes games with "Platform=XXX"?

Then can we add "Bustin' Out" homebrew back to the CV section??? :P 

Edited by Draxxon

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

for the family friendly switch. what if...

we used an unused line from the all games entry like 

Platform=XXX

Yes, that will work fine.  Say the word and I'll start a script - should be pretty easy based on other recent work....

I think the next level of user friendliness would include settings like that.  Maybe there should be a settings section with only switches?  We could use the descriptions to explain what each setting is for or does.  Like I hate people having to remember/understand restart_return magic files when it would be super-easy to add a command to toggle that on/off (why didn't I make it a command in the fist place?) -  but you don't need that to appear in every category.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketfan said:

OK, mystery solved.  In Nexus9, all the parts are in place for the samples, but the samples folder is nested one level too deep.

Blow away your current /emulator/mame2003-xtreme folder (which currently has a nested mame2003-xtreme folder inside) and re-unzip this one, but do it so that you only have /emulator/mame2003-xtreme/samples - if you get my meaning.  Like depending on how you use your unzip it will create the containing folder and you don't want that!

I know - it's only one game, but Berzerk is kind on an important/historical one - "Chicken, fight like a robot!" makes it way more enjoyable!  🙂

mame2003-xtreme.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fam Friendly switch sounds fine.

we will have to decide what gets labeled as "XXX" though. where do we draw the line?

5 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Has anyone counted games? 

3,000+

10 hours ago, Draxxon said:

In other news, RocketFan figured out how to import all your games you have favorited in the various sections to propagate in the favorites folder. And Fred_M figured out how to use the CD+G file makers. So you can create your own on screen graphics for mp3s.

Hey, can you guys share the info on this?

11 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Hey, can you guys share the info on this?

I wanted to create a "jukebox" section like @Draxxon did with Atari 8-bit home computer music. But because the audio of the Atari 8-bit home computer emulator is so bad on the flashback X, I am using MP3 files of the audio. I have tested many CD+G creators, but most of them are really bad or limited.

The best one I found is "Karaoke CD+G Creator". It is quite expensive, but you can use the trial version for 14 days (I did).

What I do in this program:

I import the MP3, "Insert an event" to import a picture (I choose insert in CD+G file) at the start of the song, set the duration of the picture as long as the music is. Then I "create CD+G" file and choose to make a CD+G (in stead of a bin).

I have tested the files I made yesterday and they all work perfectly. The only drawback (because of the CD+G format) is that the resolution is very low. But I don't mind as it reminds me of the graphical capabilities of these old Ataris 🙂 

cdggraphics.thumb.jpg.7b11f28355ebf2bc46387537443c7f0a.jpg

I also managed to insert videos in the media viewer. It is exactly like you said, low resolution and a low bitrate are needed to make them play fluently. I don't think this is a big problem as most sources of old Atari commercials are low res anyway ;-) 

Posted (edited)

i was wondering...

If a core was rebuilt from scratch all over again, could it be built to take advantage of the rewind button? Could rewind be button 2 by default?

Also, I was thinking it may not be very hard to get a small button, drill a hole, and mount it to the front of the P1 joystick and wire it to select or rewind.

Ive got a nice step drill bit and a ms pacman coin door button that Im wondering about...

push-button-midway-miniat_366-0.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

Hey all,

I wanted to report back the all 4 paddles in arcade warlords work!

However player 3&4 (top left and top right) have reversed movement compared to player 1 & 2. I recall the 2600 version doing the same thing though. I think its assuming its being played flat with people on each side of the cabinet like the original arcade. Could this be adjusted some how?

Also does this core support artwork and bezels?

This is awesome. Thank you guys for all the hard work!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

the custom bezels work separate from the core, you can use custom bezels in any section.

you will need to make the bezel, 1280x720 pixels, png format. named with a "b".

Example:
RiverRaid.a26 (ROM)

RiverRaid.a26.png (Large art)

RiverRaid.a26.s.png (Small art)

RiverRaid.a26.b.png (Custom bezel)

You also need to edit the /rom_alt/data/retroplayer.ini for the section you want Custom Bezels to show:

[Global]
UseBezel=1
BezelPath=/tmp/cbezel.png

ALSO, Im pretty sure there are more paddle mame 2003 extreme games. I know Avalanche was working at some point.

Edited by Draxxon