Posted (edited)

I didn't know to try and use the paddles in port 2. Now I can try that, and get back to you. (I'll edit this message after I do.)

[Edit1]AFBXD with original Atari paddles, NEXUS 0.5.5 and 0.5.6 no reactions to paddles in B port. Paddles in A port, buttons will cause paddle to move to one side or the other.[Edit1]

[Edit2]AFB9G with original Atari paddles, Nexus 0.5.5 and 0.5.6 no reaction to paddles in B port, except in the menu screen the selection of games or game systems will scroll right or left with the pushing of the buttons on the two paddles, but nothing from turning the paddles, themselves.[/Edit2]

Edited by Batchman

On AFBXD with Nexus 0.5.6, original paddles work fine for me.

They're plugged into Left port and the joystick in Right port to choose and start games. Can quit the game with Menu button but pressing Menu again doesn't go back up to the rest of the games, can only move left or right through each game title screen. Otherwise it works great!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wilfwilfus said:

On AFBXD with Nexus 0.5.6, original paddles work fine for me.

They're plugged into Left port and the joystick in Right port to choose and start games. Can quit the game with Menu button but pressing Menu again doesn't go back up to the rest of the games, can only move left or right through each game title screen. Otherwise it works great!

This is what I have experienced also.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

OK, well that's different!

With NEXUS 0.5.6 and original paddles on my AFBXD with the paddles plugged into the left and the joystick plugged into the right, the paddles work, but are WAY too sensitive. Turning the paddle about 2 degrees sends the on-screen paddle all the way across the screen. Any way for me to tweak the sensitivity?

[Edit]And then a couple of minutes later, they no longer work at all, and the stupid message about only using paddles for paddle games keeps flashing on the screen again. Dang it![/Edit]

Edited by Batchman

try using the reboot switch when paddles stop working. Does that fix them?

It's kind of like the signal from the paddles is intermittent. For a few seconds it works, but is way too sensitive, then for a few seconds it doesn't work at all. Then it works again, then it stops again. For a little while, pushing the paddle button will launch a ball, then it won't. Then suddenly, when you don't expect it, it will launch a ball again.

Is it possible to run a version of mame that supports  .rc mame config files? 

I came across some info of setting up paddles in advmame on a PC and using the  . rc file on a retropie setup as the pi does not allow you to map the paddle from the mame tab menu. 

So awhile back I picked up the A2600 Jr so I had real hardware to test against the flashback. It came with a brand new 3rd party replacement joystick.

Amazon.com: CirKa "A77" Premium Joystick Controller for Atari 2600: Video Games

Anyways I got around to playing with it, and I must say, I like it. It has clicky microswitches. and its pretty stiff. I see they sell on Amazon for 40. I paid 50 for the Jr and NIB Joystick. Seeing all this makes me kind of happy. And I havent heard anyone mention these clicky sticks.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Draxxon said:

So awhile back I picked up the A2600 Jr so I had real hardware to test against the flashback. It came with a brand new 3rd party replacement joystick.

Amazon.com: CirKa "A77" Premium Joystick Controller for Atari 2600: Video Games

Anyways I got around to playing with it, and I must say, I like it. It has clicky microswitches. and its pretty stiff. I see they sell on Amazon for 40. I paid 50 for the Jr and NIB Joystick. Seeing all this makes me kind of happy. And I havent heard anyone mention these clicky sticks.

Microswitches, huh?  Interesting.  I read all the reviews that said they broke if you look at them sideways and avoided, but now I want to try one.  Thanks for the heads up.

I have a couple of the Cirka 77 sticks and I really like them, they have just the right amount of clickiness! I've had them for a couple of years no and have no issue with them yet. I don't know what folks are doing to break these things, maybe the younger folks aren't used to stiffer sticks. Which may explain why the trooper and Flashback joysticks are so loose!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I read about the breaking stuff too, but I think you would break a flashback or a trooper stick before this one. I imagine if you were on some frantic HS chasing stuff maybe it could break, but we arent talking C64 mini's joystick breakable. It has a really nice stiffness to it. Im with you rodney, when i heard the retrobit stick and the cirka stick could break, I avoided them. Im happy I have this stick. I dont know if it will improve scores but its nice to have a microswitch alternative in my arsenal.

Now, I dont think they have arcade cherry microswitches inside, mind you. Im guessing little clicky buttons on top of the PCB inside. Also you can not unscrew the stick from the base like these modern replacement sticks. Just thought I would throw that out there. You know an old school real atari joystick, you could bend it so hard the stick would have a permanent bend in it and it would still work. These Cirka sticks arent that strong by any means. but I must say, Im not afraid im going to break this sucker at all. You would have to actively want to break it to break it.

Edited by Draxxon

15 hours ago, Velvis said:

Is it possible to run a version of mame that supports  .rc mame config files? 

I came across some info of setting up paddles in advmame on a PC and using the  . rc file on a retropie setup as the pi does not allow you to map the paddle from the mame tab menu. 

MAME2000, MAME2003+, MAME2003 Xtreme and a stripped down MAME2010 is already in there. There are no more prebuilt MAME cores from the list to add. I dont know if future MAME cores have something going on that wont allow them to work on this unit, RocketFan may know more.

On the mame cores, I have always read that the older versions work better for lower end devices (which the Flashbacks are).  Problem is mame was really designed to run on PC's.  As PC's have graduated to higher performance they have improved emulation which requires better hardware, and added more "machines" in the "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator", taking more memory.  Just that stuff leaves behind the lower end!

Mame was written for PCs.  AFAIK the analog controls for mame are mice - not actual paddles.  Even spinners are more like a one-axis mouse.  So if we get paddles going in mame we are lucky!  I remember Velvis said he had some movement in FBA, but it was slow - this gives me hope.  Also, we know (for Velvis and Wilwilfus) the paddles work OK on 2600 paddle games.  Will not make sense for anyone who can't get the 2600 paddle games to work to even bother experimenting with mame!

Here's something to try:  In the lfb rom retroplayer.ini add this (exact) line in the [Core] options:

mame2003-xtreme-mouse_device=mouse

Crank up the analog speed and sensitivity in a .zi3 game with the analog mame settings.  Something simple like Arkanoid or a breakout game would be good. Use a set of non-merged 0.78 ROMs like these:

https://archive.org/download/MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples/roms/

Do you get any movement?

If so, can you impact the speed by changing the analog settings?

Then try:

mame2003-xtreme-mouse_device=pointer

Same questions.

Looking at the core options in the source code, the mouse device defaults to disabled.  Which would explain no motion.  So trying those two settings - there is a shot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the new Atari VCS has anything good to rip out of it???

NEXUS NEWS:

- RocketFan got the IntelliVision core working and tweaked for the AFBs. We now have ALL of the AtGames Flashback units in the Nexus.
- At some point soon I think we are going to have a lot of Atari 8-bit games so I made a new section for the Atari XE Video Game System.

- I also sorted the LFB section so it doesn't take an extra long time to load anymore. It is now just Non-Atari Arcade games.

- TurboGrafx/PC Engine got its own section.

- Nintendo NES got its own section. (Plus it runs Super/Famicom/DiskSystem and Super/GameBoy/Color/Advance)

- LCD Games got their own section.

- I added titles to all the LCD games "box art".

- All of the Non-Atari sections have now gotten some sort of special background theme of their own.

- RocketFan created a unique core for viewing images. A few different image types are supported.

- I created a retroplayer.bak file for every /data folder.

- I went back and added all of the [core] options that have been mentioned throughout the threads.

- I fixed the A2600 game Steeplechase's broken file path from the last update.
- I Also went around and polished up numerous background and menu elements.

rom_axegs.goto.pngrom_ivfb.goto.pngrom_tg16.goto.pngrom_nes.goto.pngrom_lcd.goto.png

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Hello, guys

I discovered just now this topic,

you did amazing stuff,

I am so excited to try them

now, I need to buy a Flashback

what is the best one to find?

Flashback 9 gold?

https://www.amazon.fr/Millennium-Flashback-Classes-pré-installés-contrôleurs/dp/B07KRQJ9V2

folders, images, different cores (!), great , great, great!

Edited by lucifershalo
  • Like 1

adding Vic 20 would be really cool.....

I have plenty of questions as a "newbie" to flash ..a flashback

like how to add games, etc

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Draxxon said:

NEXUS NEWS:

- RocketFan got the IntelliVision core working and tweaked for the AFBs. We now have ALL of the AtGames Flashback units in the Nexus.
- At some point soon I think we are going to have a lot of Atari 8-bit games so I made a new section for the Atari XE Video Game System.

- TurboGrafx/PC Engine got its own section.

Intellivision, 8-bit Atari and TG-16 are my favourite retro systems to play as they were my systems growing up.  I don't need the AFB to play them but it's nice to mess around in.  Excellent work.

Posted (edited)

NEXUS NEWS:

- I added cores for the SNES, Pokemon Mini, VirtualBoy, SuperGrafx, Bandai WonderSwan/Color, NeoGeo Pocket/Color and Atari Jaguar.

- (x2)SNES=.fig or .sfc; PokemonMini=.min; VirtualBoy=.vb; SuperGrafx=.sgx, WonderSwan=.ws & .wsc; NeoGeoPocket=.ngp & .ngc; Jaguar=.jag
  (I dont plan to add any folders/sections or examples, but I feel like this will give the /game folder some interest. Maybe none or hardly any one button games can be found for these, but the cores are now in there.)

- The Vice core for the Commodore Family Computers was added.

(Because of the numerous amount of system bios files, supported extension types and settings for the C64, I think it should get its own section. It was also the last modern re-released Mini/Classic System that was missing.)

rom_c64.goto.png

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see Jaguar performance.  The PS Classic mod supports it but it does not run well at all.  And did you have to mention the C64? ;)  I would love to get a c64 maxi but they are nowhere to be found.  Mini are practically being given away.

Posted (edited)

Jaguar performance is not good at all. I just saw the core and threw it in there simply because it's "Atari". Also we are still limited to the 1-Button joystick. I don't foresee any Jaguar games being added to this pack. Same with the other crazy cores I added. But if there was a random 1 button VirtualBoy game (Galactic pinball maybe?) or NeoGeo Pocket game, etc. At least it could be added. And if anyone ever figures out how to get other controllers working, then this pack is somewhat future proof.

About TheC64, I have a mini, I paid $35 bucks for it awhile back and they are still sitting at 35 bucks. I have it hacked with the Project Carousel Anniversary Edition mod. The Maxi is like $300-400 on Amazon, which just blows my mind. To be honest, just feeling people out, it seems split 50/50. Some want C64 added to the pack, some do not. I happen to be in the camp that wants it added. I feel like there are potentially a lot of fun games that could be played here on the AFBX and so much work has already been finished on TheC64 project that most of the hard work is already done. I think it's going to be easy to just "lift it" from there. If you don't want c64, you can always remove the entire section easily.

I've just been tweaking box art in the NEXUS, trying to make it look sharp. I'm continuing to look for official art or magazine covers for the Atari Basic games. Its a lot of research TBH. I built a favorites section. Ill work on some examples for the all-games.ini file today. (You don't have to have another copy of the rom and art in the new folder.)

rom_cvfb.goto.pngrom_ivfb.goto.pngrom_tg16.goto.pngrom_favs.goto.pngRISKY.bas.png

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Someone found a problem with A800/a5200 games (.xex and .a52 roms) running from the /rom_a52 folder on an PAL television. But, the other A800 games ran fine from the /rom_a800 folder. Anyone else experience this problem? Is it just a core setting in the /data folder that needs changed for PAL users?

RISKY.bas.png

Edited by Draxxon

18 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Someone found a problem with A800/a5200 games (.xex and .a52 roms) running from the /rom_a52 folder on an PAL television. But, the other A800 games ran fine from the /rom_a800 folder. Anyone else experience this problem? Is it just a core setting in the /data folder that needs changed for PAL users?

I will try more games tomorrow from A5200 folder, but vanguard, Centipede 5200 and Battlezone dont work for me....garbled image

IMG_20210511_194401_resized_20210511_074554322.jpg