Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2021 at 3:25 PM, wilfwilfus said:

Menu doesn't bring up the Fuse keyboard for Spectrum games, and saved button mapping on Genesis/megadrive no longer works, yet they work fine from their normal system section which is odd!?

I finally dug into this issue with the "generated" favorites folder tonight.  It was something simple (at least for the ZX games) which is the retroplayer.ini in the favs had [KeyMapping] as the section name, not [KeyMappingUser].  The kind of thing you can look at for a LOONG time and not see (believe me). 🙂

So, replace the /rom_favs/data/retroplayer.ini file with the one attached.

You mentioned saved Keymappings in Genesis/Megadrive - if you have actually managed to do custom on-the-fly keymapping on your AFB, you would have to manually copy those from the retroplayer.ini in the original folder into the one in /rom_favs/data. 

retroplayer.ini

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

[KeyMapping] as the section name, not [KeyMappingUser]

That would be my fault. Sorry guys.

Posted (edited)

I was really relieved when it turned out to be that - had myself convinced we had too many entries, but nope!  🙂

In case people are not aware, these guys are making this little 800/XL/XE compatible computer.  I was interested in the printed case, which looks pretty sweet:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/myteks-576nuc-atari-computer/products/myteks-576nuc-and-internal-fujinet?variant=39350116089958

Edited by rocketfan

Hi, 

Quick question...I'm interested in the Flashback X but just wondering if it supports megadrive (or any other) pads?

I can see that the custom firmware has Mega drive emulation and ROMs but obviously the 2600 sticks are only one button...any suggestions on how you could play the other emulators games that need more than just the one button would be much appreciated! :)

Posted (edited)

Yes it supports megadrive.

no, it doesnt support any other pads.

You are limited to games that only use one button in other emulators. But, we found quite a few, really. More than I thought there were for some systems.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Thanks for the shoutout man! Glad my little investigation video was handy for folks  :)

It really is handy. Rocketfan and I were close to buying a driving paddle to test, and then, I remembered your video.

Thank you very much, buddy. Hope you're doing well.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Yes it supports megadrive.

no, it doesnt support any other pads.

You are limited to games that only use one button in other emulators. But, we found quite a few, really. More than I thought there were for some systems.

Great, thanks for your help!

Out of interest, would 2600 games work on the Atgames Sega Mega Drive Flashback (the version with the SD card slot) and if so, does anyone know if this works with 2600 sticks? 

Cheers! :) 

Edited by Scientist1981

Posted (edited)

I think yes. you could most likely do the same thing with the sega flashback as we have with the atari and legends flashback. but, I dont own one and I dont think anyone has implemented this stuff on the sega yet. I dont know if it will work with Atari joysticks.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For @Scientist1981  that links back to Draxxon's Legends Flashback release of a similar approach.  It seems pretty likely that starting from that you could get something going on the MD flashback, but someone who owns one and knows a bit about Linux would would have to dive into it.

@Draxxon I have been thinking about your controller with the extra button you added on the back.  Does the cable have all 9 wires in it?  If so, here is an idea:  Maybe we could exploit the paddle input to add the extra button.  I guess the paddle might read consistently different for "not connected" than when it is "tied to ground"?  If so, it should be possible for a core to tell when a button from ground to that input is pressed.  Just a thought.  Would probably need to use the retroplayer.l though, because otherwise every time the button is pressed the retroplayer will think the paddle is plugged in.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

one P1 stick had 6 wires, one had 9.

I have seen some posts about getting an extra button that way and also running paddles and stick from the same 9 wires with a switch.

7 hours ago, Draxxon said:

one P1 stick had 6 wires, one had 9.

I have seen some posts about getting an extra button that way and also running paddles and stick from the same 9 wires with a switch.

If you want to try something with that stick with all 9 wires let me know.  It will be easiest to experiment with the mame-xtreme one because I already have it building.  If it works we can move on to other cores.

For the other one you could always run sep wires into a breakout device like this one: HERE

You would plug that in-line between the stick and the AFB, making it easy to tack a button in wherever, so all 9 wires not needed.  hmmm - I might get one of those.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been looking at 3D printed stuff. I printed this with filament as a test to see what its like. I'm thinking about shortening it, maybe some other little stuff and printing it in resin.

Atari Compatible (Hyperkin Trooper) Joystick Conversion by Eacontrerasd - Thingiverse

WIN_20210728_11_05_15_Pro.jpg

There is also a ball that slips on the standard AFB stick's top. I wanna say I have seen old school Stick Stands or something that had them.

Atari CX40 Joystick Ball by Rootvonroot - Thingiverse

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

I've updated my Flashback 9 Gold.  The system is beautiful, but I'm experiencing two major problems.

#1 - The paddles don't work

#2 - A major sound glitch.  This sound glitch will happen at any time, playing a game, moving through the menus, even while doing nothing.  The sound will increase in volume and then continue with loud distortion, sometimes the sounds simply turns off, sometimes a loud static noise plays.  Usually ending the end will end the loud static noise, but when I launch the next game there is nothing but silence.

Maybe its because I playing a Flashback 9 Gold? the paddles never worked correctly on this model.

I assume most people are modifying a Flashback X, it is a better system?

Any help would be great, should I just buy a Flashback X?

Thanks, in advance.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:38 PM, rocketfan said:

For @Scientist1981  that links back to Draxxon's Legends Flashback release of a similar approach.  It seems pretty likely that starting from that you could get something going on the MD flashback, but someone who owns one and knows a bit about Linux would would have to dive into it.

@Draxxon I have been thinking about your controller with the extra button you added on the back.  Does the cable have all 9 wires in it?  If so, here is an idea:  Maybe we could exploit the paddle input to add the extra button.  I guess the paddle might read consistently different for "not connected" than when it is "tied to ground"?  If so, it should be possible for a core to tell when a button from ground to that input is pressed.  Just a thought.  Would probably need to use the retroplayer.l though, because otherwise every time the button is pressed the retroplayer will think the paddle is plugged in.

I try that rocket is not working. I have a tester for joystick I see the tester to recognise the extra fire but not the fbx. I think is the motherboard have only 6 pin to take the signal the other just is not connected doesn’t do anything.

Yesterday I try the version 0.9.0 is pretty but for sure need usb3. I use a old 4 gb usb 2 and everything was slow ok the 64 bit Jaguar is to heavy for the hardware the 400 800 have the same problem the keyboard doesn’t go I press the corner button like I do on the update 0.5.5 but is not working after that version. 

Posted (edited)

A800 On Screen Keyboard works on my end. I just went and checked. EKB key exits on my V.0.9.0.

Jaguar is too heavy for most any system. They are there for history and completeness. I don't think they are going to make it into V.1.0.0

Thanks for the feedback. USB 3.0 is definitely something we have been saying since the beginning.

Edited by Draxxon

9 hours ago, YeOldeTARDIS said:

Here is the Flashback 9 Gold noise glitch in action:

On the sound glitch - I once experienced something like this on the Genesis emulator on my X - and it was ALSO mentioned by someone else as well (specific to Genesis) possibly way back in the original custom firmware thread, but it was not a 'repeatable" issue for me across power cycles and I have not heard it described related to 2600emulation.  The other thing which was reported was a specific combination of TV/hdmi cable with which sound would not work at all.  That person changed the components around and their sound came back.  I have had the most weirdness with dodgy old thumb drives.  Like when you have drive read errors or retries in the background the errors induce some random problems.  Going to better thumb drives everything is a lot more reliable.

On the flashback 9 and paddles - my understanding is that there is some hardware compatibility issue there.  You can find a lot of discussion of that, including for example this:

So, in terms of original paddle support, the AFBX is definitely superior.  Otherwise it's debatable, but I only have an X.

3 minutes ago, Sir Daniel said:

How many gb usb flash is possible to use the fbx?

I believe the limit is 32Gb based mainly on the limit Windows sets for formatting FAT32 filesystems on thumb drives.  Recently I have been using a 16Gb Sandisk drive with good success.

5 hours ago, Sir Daniel said:

I try that rocket is not working. I have a tester for joystick I see the tester to recognise the extra fire but not the fbx.

If you mean wiring a button to the paddle pins - that would need a custom modified and recompiled core to test the idea.  Normally the software does not work that way - the paddles are handled as analog inputs, and then only in cores set up for it.  I will try it sometime and report if the idea can be made to work.

I just loaded up V.0.9.0 on the AFBX with a 32GB sandisk USB 3.0 flashdrive.

I tried loading Pitfall II about a dozen times and cant seem to get any errors on my end.

I also triple checked the A800 OSK. Select brings it up. EKB key exits.

11 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I just loaded up V.0.9.0 on the AFBX with a 32GB sandisk USB 3.0 flashdrive.

I tried loading Pitfall II about a dozen times and cant seem to get any errors on my end.

I also triple checked the A800 OSK. Select brings it up. EKB key exits.

Thx draxxon for the information,I will try my 32 gb to ,