So I just got done upgrading my FBX without the reset button on the bottom.

I was able to do the update then run the nexus update and software.

Yes it was a pain to do but with patience can be done

I must say this may be the best thing for these Atari Flashbacks !

Thank You Draxxon !

So I have been interested in a better joystick that can handle the abuse like the real deal in the arcades.

I came across some members that were already doing it so I decided to follow and put my own vision.

So credit really goes to all those before me.

20181230_135026.thumb.jpg.e17d080b937cd3bfdef0c519f0f9b89d.jpg20181109_203721.thumb.jpg.8a64214852ab2d1386e1baac7e3a81bf.jpg

20210828_161915[1].jpg

20210828_161909[1].jpg

Edited by laz455
  • Like 3

I really dig that Joystick. Happ style stick and buttons rock! I see you have the old version of the pack running. V.0.9.0 is the newest.

I went with the sanwa stuff because everything is a little more easily available. I see you have red AND orange buttons. I like both. I really like the orange dotted line circle around your stick in the bottom image. Sanwa has a Vermillion colored button (red-orange). Its nice. i used just one for my custom AFBX stick and the rest are orange. Vermillion is a pretty close match for the Atari Fire button. I dont think Happ or Ultimarc have anything that's Red-Orange. But, I could be wrong because Ultimarc has some Happ style in weird colors, but its hard to tell from photos and description what it what. 

Buttons :: Buttons :: Classic Pushbuttons (ultimarc.com)

WIN_20210829_10_20_32_Pro.jpg

Edited by Draxxon

7 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I really dig that Joystick. Happ style stick and buttons rock!

I went with the sanwa stuff because everything is a little more easily available. I see you have red AND orange buttons. I like both. I really like the orange dotted line circle around your stick in the bottom image. Sanwa has a Vermillion colored button (red-orange). Its nice. i used just one for my custom AFBX stick and the rest are orange. Vermillion is a pretty close match for the Atari Fire button.

I also changed the stick to a bat-top and added a set of paddles.

WIN_20210829_10_20_32_Pro.jpg

Thanks !

I wanted to look more like the original Atari joysticks

The dotted circles is from the Original Atari Joystick made into a vinyl decal, that was a pain to create.....

The two button style does work with the 7800 games

I think this style below is a great one too, I bought it works great

from Retrogameboyzcom

image.png.a33b62e3e24a133772636d4ca49a7e42.png

Those pads are nice, but arent they a little pricey? They would come in handy for games that map Jump to Up like Bubble Bobble on the AFBX, though, because I'm pretty sure they have pads where the A button is a 2nd instance of Up.

I mean its clearly a knock off NES pad with a custom PCB. But, a very nice custom PCB by the looks of it.

I dont know, how hard is it to make one? I really do like them, but man, $40 seems high to me.

Custom made controllers and joysticks for video game consoles – RetroGameBoyz

I have a really nice, minty, OG NES pad. I wonder how hard it is to rewire it???

I also have seen many knockoffs online as low as $5 bucks. I have 2 for my AFB 1. I wonder if they could be used as a base as well?

41Cr9G3+h7L._AC_.jpg

But, yeah, you're decal is pretty cool. I thought of adding something similar to my stick, but I already went over the budget I set. lol. :) 

Edited by Draxxon

4 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Those pads are nice, but arent they a little pricey?

I mean its clearly a knock off NES pad with a custom PCB. A very nice custom PCB by the looks of it.

I dont know, how hard is it to make one? I really do like them, but man, $40 seems high to me.

I have a really nice, minty, OG NES pad. I wonder how hard it is to rewire it???

Yes a little pricey.....

I believe the creator is on AA forums ,That's how I found them and yes they use a custom board.

I don't have the time or expertise to create a board from scratch

I'm happy even with the ones I made

I have also rebuilt the originals Atari's cx40 with new board and other internals they become $ too.

see post below

I'm not knocking them. They aren't SUPER high priced. And they have a lot of different pad options for different classic systems. There is a lot of customization going on by them. It also means something that you said you tried them and they work well. That's a good thing.

I just wonder with knockoff pads being $5, what can I come up with myself. That's all. If a person needs to create a custom PCB to do it, then I too am out. I dont have the knowledge, time or $$$ for that. If I can use the pad's existing PCB and just re-wire it, I think I could pull that off. Maybe using a 3 button Genesis pad as a base would be easier? But I would prefer the NES style pads.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Those pads are nice, but arent they a little pricey? They would come in handy for games that map Jump to Up like Bubble Bobble on the AFBX, though, because I'm pretty sure they have pads where the A button is a 2nd instance of Up.

I mean its clearly a knock off NES pad with a custom PCB. But, a very nice custom PCB by the looks of it.

I also have seen many knockoffs online as low as $5 bucks. I have 2 for my AFB 1. I wonder if they could be used as a base as well?

41Cr9G3+h7L._AC_.jpg

But, yeah, you're decal is pretty cool. I thought of adding something similar to my stick, but I already went over the budget I set. lol. :) 

found this post on here may want to check it out from another person

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, laz455 said:

He did those starting with files I posted a while back.. I did a couple runs of them then posted them open source.

I think be simplified the design knocking out the micro controller and (thus) turbo fire but one doesnt have to design a pc ... I already did and posted them for anyone to use 

Getting them made is fairly inexpensive if you wait for snail mail from china and you get 5-10 copies

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, rocketfan said:

Maybe we could exploit the paddle input to add the extra button.  I guess the paddle might read consistently different for "not connected" than when it is "tied to ground"?  If so, it should be possible for a core to tell when a button from ground to that input is pressed. 

It only took a little over a month, but I finally took some time to test this idea tonight.  As I recall, someone predicted more-or-less what I am seeing. 

I have built a kludge cable with 2 wires hanging off  going to pins 5 and 9 of the port (the paddle inputs).  Remember that the paddle inputs for arcade players 1 and 2 are set up on the right port for .zi3 roms.

Pins 7 and 8 are +V and ground on the thing respectively.

With retroplayer.X:  If I tie either of those wires to +5 or to ground while playing a game the pop-up for paddles appears instantly, but also instantly disappears when the connection is removed.

With retroplayer.L: nada - nor do I see any movement resulting from touching the pins.

So, here is what I think:  We would need to use retroplayer.X - because it plays a role in processing the paddle inputs and passing them to the core.  However, floating/open pins vs. being tied to either 5V or ground (like with a simple switch) are not resulting in two paddle values - rather "nothing" and some value and also triggering that popup every single time.

My conclusion is that we won't be able to get another button input with that approach.  It would have required a custom mod to each core anyway.

@Draxxon one thing I discovered along the way.  In the Atari Arcade section of the current Nexus, Avalanche should be set as .zi3 so it can be played with paddles. Currently it is still a .zim.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

Rocket, did you see the post from Sir Daniel that said he disabled rewind and was able to use select as a viable second button. No more conflicts?

• Hey guys, I haven't asked any dumb questions in a while so here we go....I just got nexus 9.0 working on my flashback x and I was wondering how to add more roms to various folders. I have about 200 atari 2600 roms that somehow aren't included in the 10,000 that you guys put up and although they work (with no box art) when I put them in the "game" folder, I would rather add them to the atari hack folder if I could. Also, the coleco flashback has about 20 games that do not work, they either freeze the system and I need to restart it or you get that "turn game off before inserting cartridge" screen. I also have a few alternate coleco roms I could replace them with if I had any clue what I was doing.

Thanks again, this project is awesome!

• Like 1

so, you get the game, we will call it romx.a26

you need two .png files. one that is 183x255 pixels and is named romx.a26.png (same as the rom)

second art file needs to be 122x170 and it is named romx.a26.s.png (s is for small art)

You can also add a custom bezel if you want to. It needs to be .png and 1280x720. It would be named romx.a26.b.png

next you will need to put all 3 files (rom and both art files) in the /rom_a2600 folder or if they are hack or homebrew put them all in the folder of the section you want the to appear in. But, they won't show up yet.

For some games for other systems you may also need to set button mappings in the /rom_alt/data/retroplayer.ini file. Again, edit it with notedpad.

finally you need to look in the /rom_a2600 folder you are putting your files into for the all-games.ini file. Open and edit this file with Notepad. You will need to add an entry to the file to get your game to show up in the main menu. An entry would look like this. (you can just copy and paste another entry and change just the key tid-bits.) You don't have to fill it all in, but the stuff in brackets is the display name for the menu. Sort is the name it uses to alphabetize it in the list. File=/rom/romx.a26 points to your rom. it is always File=/rom/romx.a26 no matter what rom folder you put your files in. Genre can be either atari, paddle or unclassified. That makes it show up in the different sub menus on the left hand side of the screen. 

[Rom X]
File=/rom/romx.a26
Platform=A26
Sort=Rom X
Year=2020
Genre=unclassified
Description=
Note= \
Player Mode: Single-player game

If you have any other questions just ask.

Edited by Draxxon

for coleco, look in the /rom_cv folder for the rom that is bad. Name your replacement rom exactly the same as the bad one and swap it in its place.

22 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Rocket, did you see the post from Sir Daniel that said he disabled rewind and was able to use select as a viable second button. No more conflicts?

Sorry, I was speed reading - but that's good!  I just saw all the controller posts and felt bad I never tried that experiment.  I have had the cable sitting around from another experiment!  🙂

Thanks Draxxon! This is probably all easy for you guys at this point but after trying a few replacement roms for the coleco and them still not working at all I noticed that every rom I have (which all work on pi's) say "file association manager" beside them and your coleco roms all say "CV file". Do I need to convert them somehow?

I have no idea, I have never used the file association manager.

I know that there was an add-on for the CV called the Super Game Module. With the CV emulator we are using, Super Game Module games aren't supported. Franky32 and I tried to remove all the SGM games, but maybe we missed some. I wonder if those are the games not working? They may work on your Pi because they have a emulator that supports SGM? 

Just guesses, man.

Send me a list of changes you want made and ill put together a patch for you.

Edited by Draxxon

9 hours ago, blair said:

say "file association manager" beside them and your Coleco roms all say "CV file"

It almost sounds like the extensions are just different on the files to me.  Maybe you don't have Windows set to display the file extensions?  These days Windows defaults to not showing you the extensions.  Like "locknchase.cv".  If you are  not seeing the last .cv part, then make sure you turn that on!

The roms are identified by their extensions.  Even if they are in the right folder they won't be used correctly  unless they have the .cv file extension!

I'm guessing that I do not have windows set to display the file extensions. It doesn't seem to affect the playability of any of the games except the 19 coleco games. I don't want to waste any more of your time on any of this because you've done such a great project overall and all I really care about is having a cool little atari that plays every atari game i've ever heard of and you have made something way cooler. 

If you do have time to screw around with the coleco these games don't seem to be working...

Amazing snake, the black onyx, cookie monster munch, death derby, fantasy, final test cartridge, front line (standard controller version), joust (has no sound), pole position, pong, princess quest, rally x, smurfs save the day, snake, super space acer, tunnels and trolls, turbo, victory (standard controller), zombie near.

I know some like Smurfs, Joust and Tunnel & Trolls are prototypes and demos.

Final Test Cart had an error in the naming. There was a space.

I found some alternate versions of some of those, Im going to see what I can figure out.

Zombie Near - Super Game Module. Needs Removed.

Victory & Front Line - Not easy to quickly find the correct versions of ROMs, I did find new art for Victory SCE. Will they work? Need removed?

Turbo - Fires Up, but can't pass the Skill Level Select screen. ???

Tunnels & Trolls - Fires up, says its an ADAM game. Probably needs a Keyboard? Needs Removed.
Super Space Acer - Super Game Module - Needs Removed.

Snake (Schlange) - Super Game Module - Needs Removed.

Smurfs - Fires up, Bullshit Ass Demo.

Rally-X - Homebrew? Fires up, cant get past title screen.

Princess Quest - Super Game Module. Needs Removed.

Pong - Seems to run, can't control paddles. Needs Removed?

Pole Position - Seems to work - Proto or Demo?

Joust - Proto. Does it have sound?

Test Cart - entry in the ini file error. Fixed.

Fantasy - Won't Launch
Death Derby - Works.

Cookie Monster Munch - Super Game Module Needs Removed.

Black Onyx - Works

Amazing Snake - Super Game Module Needs Removed.

Bottom Line, here is a quick patch and Let me know what Victory and Frontline SCE versions are legit so we can try them. There was some talk of it here, give me some time and I'll check it out further. You can manually delete the removed games rom and art files from your pack if you want to.
No Slither SCE cart? - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums

rom_cv.rar

Edited by Draxxon

Okay that update above has some issues. Don't use it.

I got Victory SCE and Frontline SCE firing up. I've never played these so I have no idea about the controls or if they are "working" properly or not.

I was working on this and the LUFB pack at the same time. It was the first time I worked both packs at once, I got a little screwed up. This pack uses the LUFB pack as a base and I removed the non working games mentioned here. There is a handful of Adult games brought back that were previously cut out. The Bustin' Out series and Strip Poker. There may be others.

I should point out that, until we solve the riddle of a second action button, some of these games may fire up but still be unplayable.

***DELETE YOUR /rom_cv FOLDER from your flash drive and REPLACE IT with this one below. Let me know how it goes.

rom_cv.rar

Edited by Draxxon