Sorry it took me so long to answer this one. "The black onyx", "death derby", "turbo" and "victory sce" launch but nothing happens past the menu screen. "Joust" and "pole position" must be demos, joust plays without sound but pole position seems like the racetrack was never fully rendered. The smurf and final test cartridge aren't games anyway I guess but they now work.

I appreciate everything you've done Draxxon.

I tied them all on the LFB. You can play black onyx, death race and Victory SCE on it, but you must need the other buttons on the AFBs. There was some talk about rebuilding cores to get a second action button working. So maybe leave those few in for now so we can test with them in the possible future. Turbo still wouldn't let me pass the Skill Level Select even on the LFB.

It might be possible to get death race working by swapping the action buttons in the KeyMapping. I'll check it out later today. I played Victory SCE on the LFB a little. One button was shoot, and one was shield+doomsday bombs IIRC. Maybe we can get shoot mapped to the P1 Fire button. 

Edited by Draxxon

I never really knew these games anyway so they're all in the 'bonus for me" category. Everything is great as is at this point so thanks again.

Once again, Zero Page Homebrew's 2021 thread pays off with some cool games.  I'm attaching them but also see the original threads below!

River raid on mars is a very cool hack on River Raid.  Let the Intro play for a while as more and more stuff "lights up" to the music.

WAR is a shmup with a kind of non-traditional for Atari feel - almost a ZX80 vibe.

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=8089

RiverRaidonMars.xex.gme W.A.R.xex.gme

• Like 3

I cannot get my Flashback X deluxe to load a new image (firmware).  I have a Sandisk 32GB USB formatted FAT32, with the image file named "atari_update.img" but the device never recognizes it, it just boots up to the menu everytime.

I tried the other version, where you unscrew the cover and and install the driver first, then the Android tool, but it never finds any loader devices.  I tried this connected to just the PC, and also with the OTG and power, neither works.  I tried the newer driver 5.1, that didn't work either.

Can someone please help?  I usually have no issues modding/hacking devices, but this one doesn't seem to be responding (it does work fine unmodded)

does your system have a reset hole on the bottom?

If there is no reset button hole on the bottom of your system, you HAVE to do the official update with android tools and a pc first to get OTG support.

The official update is a PITA, I think I did it on a Windows XP machine. An old ass MAME machine was the only PC in the house that "Found one loader device".

Edited by Draxxon

20 hours ago, Zehrfox said:

I tried the other version, where you unscrew the cover and and install the driver first, then the Android tool, but it never finds any loader devices.  I tried this connected to just the PC, and also with the OTG and power, neither works.  I tried the newer driver 5.1, that didn't work either.

Ont thing that has bitten people in the past - you have to hold the reset button *during* power on to get into boot-loader mode.  So start with the device off.  Push in rest - and hold it.  Power on, now your software should see a device during that sequence.

One other thing.  Some micro-usb cables are only suitable for charging, not a data connection.  I had one cheap cable like that myself - I tossed it.

fbx with a mini cart

completes the look of it

bought from MiniRetroCarts........Etsy

FBX_Cart.thumb.jpg.056b13a710933e196a07cc9292e8ff63.jpg

Edited by laz455
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, laz455 said:

fbx with a mini cart

completes the look of it

FBX_Cart.thumb.jpg.056b13a710933e196a07cc9292e8ff63.jpg

I got one of those off of etsy, but it was too long ago and I don't recall if it was from MiniRetroCarts - a cute little cart... Like an outy belly button

It would be cool if that faux cart was a flashdrive or a passthru for a usb or SD Card slot.

One thing I noticed tho is the AFBX "cart port" is a super shiny black. If you try to clean it, it shows scratches pretty easily. I have to wonder how those faux carts are mounted. Double stick tape? I personally don't want to mar my system for a 3d printed block.

Edited by Draxxon

19 hours ago, Draxxon said:

It would be cool if that faux cart was a flashdrive or a passthru for a usb or SD Card slot.

One thing I noticed tho is the AFBX "cart port" is a super shiny black. If you try to clean it, it shows scratches pretty easily. I have to wonder how those faux carts are mounted. Double stick tape? I personally don't want to mar my system for a 3d printed block.

yes, double sided tape and it also has a snug fit. it's kinda of a cool look to it. I'm surprised that there is no case like this for the Pi in this size

Edited by laz455
typo
  • Thanks 1

First off, I would like to thank you guys for putting the time and effort into making this excellent piece of coding that turns a mediocre little novelty toy into a top notch retro gaming machine. But with that said I have a little problem. It may be a limitation of the hardware or (I hope) a limitation of my knowledge of what to do. I am currently running V9 on a AFBX. I have purchased the full versions of Galagon, Wizard of Wor, Super Corbra Arcade, and Scramble from Champ Games. I renamed the roms using the ".a26.gme" extension and placed in the "game" folder. The only the one that will work is Scramble, the rest either go to a black screen or return you to the main menu. As of now I am using a modified R77 to play these games on my man cave tv, but I would love to be able to use the AFBX because of its ability to play 7800 and 800XL games. Thanks again for your effort in making NEXUS and thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to offer.

• Like 2

So, those games need a newer version of stella emulator to work. 

To run a game with the later stella emulator use the extension .26a.gme (instead of .a26.gme) but be warned, this little system struggles to run newer stella so they will run a little slow. And, to be honest, they run a whole lot better on a RetroN77.

Here is AFB9 vs AFBX w/ overclock vs R77. (The flicker error is in my capture device and not the game).

Edited by Draxxon

On 9/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, laz455 said:

fbx with a mini cart

completes the look of it

I bought some for my Genesis and Turbografx mini.  Does also look good in the Atari though.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:43 PM, tschortsch said:

Where can i Find the full new Pack form nexus ? or do i have to download each update witch was posted ? 😕

Sorry I missed this. V.0.9.0 was the last full base version that was uploaded (In post #310 on page 13). Start there. There were four or maybe more patch updates after it that have to be added on.

Edited by Draxxon

Hey, first of all this is an awesome pack!  Has anyone had any success getting Atari 7800 Food Fight to run?

On 9/14/2021 at 8:26 PM, Paul7 said:

Has anyone had any success getting Atari 7800 Food Fight to run?

Sorry for the delay - you are right - it was not coming up and I had the same problem once I tried it tonight.  It was just that the rom is misnamed vs. the all-games.ini entry.  The artwork is correct though.  You can either rename it so the main part of the filename matches the artwork files exactly, or drop the attached one in the /rom_a7800 folder on your Nexus stick.  Believe it or not, I never played that one before.  A little freaky when you eat the ice-cream.  Food Fight on!

FoodFight(USA).a78

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay - you are right - it was not coming up and I had the same problem once I tried it tonight.  It was just that the rom is misnamed vs. the all-games.ini entry.  The artwork is correct though.  You can either rename it so the main part of the filename matches the artwork files exactly, or drop the attached one in the /rom_a7800 folder on your Nexus stick.  Believe it or not, I never played that one before.  A little freaky when you eat the ice-cream.  Food Fight on!

FoodFight(USA).a78
Thanks! Working now, yeah this is one of my 7800 favorites.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Velvis said:

Isn't this a fairly big deal? Someone was hoping for the source code a while back. What will this bring to the table?

Im not very technical, so I dont know if this is what is needed. It may just be the OS code for the emulators and stuff not the Atari FB UI. 

I thought we went looking for it before and didnt find it or maybe it wasnt what we needed, but I couldnt remember so I posted it here just in case.

Edited by Draxxon

16 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Im not very technical, so I dont know if this is what is needed. It may just be the OS code for the emulators and stuff not the Atari FB UI. 

I thought we went looking for it before and didnt find it or maybe it wasnt what we needed, but I couldnt remember so I posted it here just in case.

It appears to be the source code for the Stella port to AFB 9+. Most open source projects require that the source code be made available when included in a commercial product (as part of the GNU license).

I doubt that AtGames will make the AFB 2/8/9/X source code available (at least in the near future).