RocketFan has again updated the A800 core and he also alerted me to a new game in the Digger Dan Trilogy that was just released. Return of the Fungi. There were a couple more core settings added to the emulator settings in /data/retroplayer.ini. We also had to create some new "box art" for Return of the Fungi, since there is none.

https://retrounite.co.uk/return-of-the-fungi-digger-dan-trilogy-simon-hunt/

Diamonds.xex.png DanStrikesBack.xex.png ReturnOfTheFungi_ii.xex.png

Atari Flashback Nexus V0.9.8 (Update Only)
Digger Dan Trilogy, A800 Core Update:

AFBNv9.8.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, here is another update.  Long story short there is a setting in the atari800 config files which seems to have a positive impact on the sound quality!  I mostly ignored that area previously - couldn't see the forest for the trees.  🙂

Replace these two files in the /emulator folder of your Nexus drive. 

@Fred_M or any other AFB9 user - please let us know if you experience some improvement.  It certainly seems to help the quality and eliminate some of the glitches I could notice on the AFBX.

Draxxon, we may find out those TecToy units have an internal USB port or something.  Never sure until we have hands on one.  Maybe someone from Brazil will open theirs for us at some point?

atari800.cfg.afb9 atari800.cfg

• Like 3

I will test the configuration file. I tested some changes in the file myself a couple of months ago, but I was not succesful...... 🙂 

Those @rocketfan changes to the configuration files helped improve my Atari 8bit and 5200 sound and music tremendously!  I have an AFB9.

• Thanks 1

@rra - thanks, that's good to hear! 🙂

I wanted to mention the very latest update to the atari800 core in Draxxon's 9.8 update above.  It adds a new core option for the retroplayer.ini files.  To add it for a game:

[name of game rom, no path]

atari800_startMakesSpace=enabled

That can be useful on games where a keyboard space-bar press gets used for an action.   For example, Scramble to drop bombs or "return of the fungi" where it is used to detonate the dynamite in the first phase.  There is also a way to turn that on/off inside the on screen keyboard on page 2 (press the SSP key) but that mechanism was added before I understood the core options.

It's a lot more convenient if it can be pre-set, so in phase one of Return of the Fungi with Draxxon's update, it is already set so you can detonate the dynamite with the start button.

PS - to start Return of the Fungi you push the joystick in a direction - took me a few minutes to realize.

Edited by rocketfan

Tried @Draxxon v9.8 and Digger Dan update last night, but noticed Diamonds doesn't actually load. Instead, you get the A8 Self Test Menu. Bad dump or am I doing something wrong? The other two games work fine.

And the latest config file(s) update from @rocketfan seemed to work fine on a game like Dig Dug, but after a few seconds of play, the sound quickly becomes too loud and distorted*. Which reminds me... when it comes to some of these updated files, are FB9 users supposed to nix the .fb9 extension at the end of the file so that it simply reads atari800.cfg? 

I'll have to look more into it, but might explain why none of the BASIC games come up on my system either. You press the Atari BASIC Computers icon and instead of a list of games, get a blank screen until I power cycle the FB9. 

*Action Biker stays loud and distorted, while others like Donkey Kong play and sound just fine.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, save2600 said:

FB9 users supposed to nix the .fb9 extension at the end of the file so that it simply reads atari800.cfg? 

The feedback is greatly appreciated! 

No - leave that file name as is with the .afb9 in place.  They have to be different because of paths embedded - it allows a single pack to work on both devices.  I'll try Dig Dug when I get a chance!

On the basic thing, not sure but I suggest you replace the full rom_a800b folder first from Draxxon's   "Nexusv9.rar" file posted earlier in the thread.

I'll try Diamonds also - I only played it before the update.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

On the basic thing, not sure but I suggest you replace the full rom_a800b folder first from Draxxon's   "Nexusv9.rar" file posted earlier in the thread.

Tried reverting back to an older version, but no change. There's plenty of files currently (152 I think) in the rom_a800b folder, but the emulator doesn't seem to be recognizing any of them. Just stays stuck in this loop of blackness until I power cycle the machine. 

Diamonds was updated by the maker, here is the old version. I have an AFB9 and AFB9G. Last I checked BASIC worked. If I get time I'll check again.

Atari Flashback Nexus V.0.9.9 (Diamonds.xex Fix, A800 Audio Fix)

AFBNv9.9.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rra said:

Those @rocketfan changes to the configuration files helped improve my Atari 8bit and 5200 sound and music tremendously!  I have an AFB9.

So, you got everything working. That's great! Let me know what you think. And if something sucks... you can say so and I can handle it.

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Tried reverting back to an older version, but no change. There's plenty of files currently (152 I think) in the rom_a800b folder, but the emulator doesn't seem to be recognizing any of them. Just stays stuck in this loop of blackness until I power cycle the machine. 

is the /rom_a800b/all-games.ini file missing, blank or named wrong? I don't think that would give you a black screen tho.

Work In Progress:

diamonds-background-robert-chlopas.png

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

is the /rom_a800b/all-games.ini file missing, blank or named wrong? I don't think that would give you a black screen tho.

No... it's there, named correctly and filled with all the game names, etc. 

• Thanks 1

@Draxxon yes, I got everything up and running with no problems and have applied all of the updates since version .9.0.   Everything looks great and I have been playing around a lot with all of the various game systems.  I'm really impressed with how fast the afb9 boots up.   Your Nexus build makes this system  1000% better than stock!  Thanks!

Thanks but I'm just the art guy. RocketFan makes everything work. Good people like you and EEA make all the games.

Im glad to hear that FULL v9.0 with all updates added was easy to figure out. Also, you have an AFB9....

Maybe @save2600 should just rebuild an SD Card. Sucks I know, but I think it all works and you have an error somewhere.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Maybe @save2600 should just rebuild an SD Card. Sucks I know, but I think it all works and you have an error somewhere.

Okay, I'll maybe try that sometime as I know SD cards can be to blame. Oh, and the Diamonds game works now. Thank you! 

BTW: no change audio wise with the latest update.

18 hours ago, Draxxon said:

RocketFan has again updated the A800 core and he also alerted me to a new game in the Digger Dan Trilogy that was just released. Return of the Fungi. There were a couple more core settings added to the emulator settings in /data/retroplayer.ini. We also had to create some new "box art" for Return of the Fungi, since there is none.

https://retrounite.co.uk/return-of-the-fungi-digger-dan-trilogy-simon-hunt/

Diamonds.xex.png DanStrikesBack.xex.png ReturnOfTheFungi_ii.xex.png

The "box art" you created for ROTF is somewhat misleading...

(1) The game does not fit in 32k -- it requires 48k

(2) The game was not published by English Software, but by Meowster Retro

~S

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, simonh said:

The "box art" you created for ROTF is somewhat misleading...

(1) The game does not fit in 32k -- it requires 48k

(2) The game was not published by English Software, but by Meowster Retro

~S

I can take care of that. No problem.

This was made for a request someone made. It wasn't easy to make. Do you happen to have a Meowster Retro logo? Or an example of their box art and I'll make a new one. Or better yet, is there an official "Box" image? Thank you for posting here, Simon.

ReturnOfTheFungi_ii_xex.png

BTW, what do you think about that screen bezel up there? I'm still working on it.

Edited by Draxxon

22 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Do you happen to have a Meowster Retro logo? Or an example of their box art and I'll make a new one. Or better yet, is there an official "Box" image?

There is no official logo. Perhaps you can pull from a snapshot of the title screen?

image.thumb.png.897837511e90c42d6f0dd9a56240e774.png

image.thumb.png.5ca765531f1a685a52f795f187b37f56.png 

Edited by simonh

Ill work on it today and make a couple and we will see what you think.

If it sucks, tell me. I can take it.

7 hours ago, rocketfan said:

@rra - thanks, that's good to hear! 🙂

I wanted to mention the very latest update to the atari800 core in Draxxon's 9.8 update above.  It adds a new core option for the retroplayer.ini files.  To add it for a game:

[name of game rom, no path]

atari800_startMakesSpace=enabled

That can be useful on games where a keyboard space-bar press gets used for an action.   For example, Scramble to drop bombs or "return of the fungi" where it is used to detonate the dynamite in the first phase.  There is also a way to turn that on/off inside the on screen keyboard on page 2 (press the SSP key) but that mechanism was added before I understood the core options.

It's a lot more convenient if it can be pre-set, so in phase one of Return of the Fungi with Draxxon's update, it is already set so you can detonate the dynamite with the start button.

PS - to start Return of the Fungi you push the joystick in a direction - took me a few minutes to realize.

Can you make the Space Bar map to the Rewind button instead of the Start button?  That way start could still be used to reset the game if you wanted.

3 hours ago, rra said:

Can you make the Space Bar map to the Rewind button instead of the Start button?  That way start could still be used to reset the game if you wanted.

Sadly, I don't believe so.  That was tried early in the process.  The rewind operates strangely.  IIRC, normally it is captured by the retroplayer without the core even seeing it.  Then the retroplayer makes a callback for the core rewind in any cores supporting it.  If you disable rewind (yet another per-game setting) then with a mame game and control mapping you will see that rewind generates a <tab> or something at the core, but it gets stuck in a "rapid fire" mode seemingly firing endlessly or maybe just stuck on.  The big problem we have is that the retroplayer application is closed source.  We have scavenged the retroplayer from the Legends Flashback units to even allow limited button mapping, but we are hemmed in on many sides.  IMO if we did have an alternate retroplayer (such as retroarch) we could exploit the buttons in better ways.   There is an actual port of VVVVVV on the system - no retroplayer in use - it is written using SDL2.  If you play that you'll see that all those buttons can be used in game for various functions.  And it is a great game.

So, it's more an opportunistic trick to support a few 2-actions games where it fits.  At least for Scramble and this new game it works pretty well, if not ideal.

@rocketfanThanks for the explanation that the Rewind button is pretty much inaccessible.  Your idea to map the space key to the start button is a really good idea for games like scramble that make use of the space key.  It basically turns the Atari joystick into a 2 button joystick!