For the Atari Flashback, box art thumbs need to be 183x255. Thanks for this. It looks legit.

ReturnOfTheFungi_ii_xex.png

Glad to help out, it was a bit of fun this afternoon :) 

• Like 1

do you happen to have just the Meowster logo you made with transparent background? I would like to add it to the custom bezel I'm working on.

@simonh

Thanks for that game!  It is just very unique, full of great touches, and really enjoyable to play - truly like a commercial release from back in the day!

• Like 1

@save2600 Your observation on Dig-Dug seems correct - with the new setting on my AFBX it appears to me that when the monsters go into "ghost mode" there is a lag and sound distortion.  That is not present with the original setting.

So I feel like "one size does not fit all" .  The good news is that this option does improve a MANY problematic games.  I have played a number of games that seemed same or better. 

I will still wait to hear from Fred_M and also do a little more investigation of the setting. 

A core option can be implemented to override the setting to make the optimal choice for each game, it's just that will involve play testing a bunch of games.  I'm hoping that the number of games impacted negatively is low - fewer exceptions to add settings for.

Anyway, I'll dig in a little more this coming weekend and we will get Dig Dug working right again!

2 hours ago, Draxxon said:

do you happen to have just the Meowster logo you made with transparent background? I would like to add it to the custom bezel I'm working on.

meow.thumb.png.4fa4d51423961e1c4f23eed895ca4dd2.png

• Thanks 1

@save2600 @Fred_M  @rra  And anyone else who wants to try another mod to the sound setup.

There is another setting that is having a positive impact on Dig Dug - offsetting the problem introduced by the config file change - without any negative impact I can detect on other games I tried.

Try replacing the retroplayer.ini (maybe rename your old one!) in /rom_a800/data  with the one attached.  Maybe play 8bit Dig Dug before and after.

It modifies the AudioSample setting which IMO is not changing the actual core sample rate, but possibly the buffer size used in the callbacks between the retroplayer front-end application and the core.  It went from the biggest value I have seen in other cases (2048) to the smallest (50) but again while Dig Dug runs much better, I see no negative impact on other games.  Since I am using an AFBX now I'm skeptical of anything until someone with an AFB9 tries it also though!

NOTE: This file can't be used in other sections of the Nexus drive because each retroplayer.ini has unique settings for the games in a particular folder.

retroplayer.ini

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Just ran across this is my wanderings.  Curt Vendel died last year at 53 - he was apparently a big part of designing the first two Atari flashbacks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903

I guess he didn't have life insurance and there is a fundraiser for his daughter's college fund.  Old news to many I guess, but I just saw the fundraiser:

https://gofund.me/54ab06a5

Just sharing in case you Flashback fans want to take a look.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 2

I just tried your updated retro player.ini file @rocketfanfan, and all seemed fine for a while. But then the sound cut out altogether in Dig Dug by stage 2. I tried Action Biker as well and the same thing. Sounds more correct... not all loud and distorted, but then poof! No sound. Seems you're getting closer though!  :)

I shifted the color and moved the words closer together.

meow.thumb.png.4fa4d51423961e1c4f23eed895ca4dd2.png

Edited by Draxxon

21 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Maybe @save2600 should just rebuild an SD Card. Sucks I know, but I think it all works and you have an error somewhere.

I didn't do a full rebuild last night, but I did copy the contents from my old card over to a new (retail) SD card, just to see if maybe that was the prob, but there was no change. I may have screwed up some files with all the little updates somewhere along the line. May have gotten 'merge' and 'replace' mixed up at some point.  ugh

10 hours ago, rocketfan said:

@save2600 @Fred_M  @rra  And anyone else who wants to try another mod to the sound setup.

There is another setting that is having a positive impact on Dig Dug - offsetting the problem introduced by the config file change - without any negative impact I can detect on other games I tried.

Try replacing the retroplayer.ini (maybe rename your old one!) in /rom_a800/data  with the one attached.  Maybe play 8bit Dig Dug before and after.

It modifies the AudioSample setting which IMO is not changing the actual core sample rate, but possibly the buffer size used in the callbacks between the retroplayer front-end application and the core.  It went from the biggest value I have seen in other cases (2048) to the smallest (50) but again while Dig Dug runs much better, I see no negative impact on other games.  Since I am using an AFBX now I'm skeptical of anything until someone with an AFB9 tries it also though!

NOTE: This file can't be used in other sections of the Nexus drive because each retroplayer.ini has unique settings for the games in a particular folder.

retroplayer.ini 6 kB · 4 downloads

I tested Dig Dug after this updated ini and it worked fine.  But the funny thing is that the Dig Dug music and sound effects worked absolutely fine on my AFB9 both with or without this updated retroplayer.ini file.  I even played to the second level of Dig Dug and sound and music continued to play just fine for me.   I loaded several games and also several music jukebox demos and everything worked fine.

Of course the big thing that made a huge difference to the Atari 800 and 5200 sound effects was the update to atari800.cfg.afb9 that @rocketfanrecommended and @Draxxon put in his latest update.

1 hour ago, rra said:

I tested Dig Dug after this updated ini and it worked fine.  But the funny thing is that the Dig Dug music and sound effects worked absolutely fine on my AFB9 both with or without this updated retroplayer.ini file.  I even played to the second level of Dig Dug and sound and music continued to play just fine for me.   I loaded several games and also several music jukebox demos and everything worked fine.

Okay, 1st. Good to hear sound is improved. That's great news.

Bad news is I've heard people have similar sound problems as @save2600 is describing on the AFB9s even running just the official update with the /game folder sideloaded games. The game is fine, then a couple mins in, issues. I think they solved the issues with different SD Cards, HDMI cables and LCD TVs. I would try to change your setup and see what happens. Now, you have missing games. Luckily....

I have a brand new AFB9. (its the one from post #301 that I got for $20 at the Flea Market.) It has had the CFW installed and put right back in the box. I'm going to build a new SD Card starting with FULL V.0.9.0 and add all the updates right now.

WIN_20211015_10_07_51_Pro.jpg

Just an FYI... I'll be using a SanDisk 8GB micro SD Card HC I w/ a Kingston adapter.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

@save2600  I dunno based on the feedback from rra, maybe there *is* something with your hardware.  I know it seems highly unlikely but there could be something going with your drive.  The other thing we have seen reported from at least one user is hdmi interface issues so consider playing with a different cable and display temporarily as a test.

I'll give my own story: to me it's tempting to use my old drawer full of ancient USB sticks because the space requirements for these are relatively low.  However, I used to get a lot of system hangups and so on UNTIL - I switched to just a cheap (but brand new and modern) Sandisk 2.0 drive from Walmart.  It probably cost < $5  Never missed a beat since.  BTW, The "Onn" brand drives from Walmart (even cheaper) didn't work for me. 

I guess the issue to consider is that the UI we have is not exposing drive read errors.  If something happens during system initialization or later during operation that could impact the way the system works, you won't see an obvious message.  It's all hidden.

On the Legends Flashback I have, I use one of these (2 for $11 on Amazon) with great success and my sections load fast - regardless if Draxxon adds hundreds of games.  🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Center-Class-Flash-Memory/dp/B07K82GRDV

I know those are vastly outsized compared to what we need, but from what I know about modern flash drive wear leveling - having extra space will provide more sectors to extend the life and reliability as old sectors are cycled out behind the scenes.

Anyway, given what you are seeing I might play with the HDMI side a bit - though your other issues do sound drive related or possibly related to the way you built up  the drive with the updates.

Edit - I see Draxxon posted similar advice just now.  🙂  Draxxon - interested to hear your findings!

Edited by rocketfan
  • Thanks 1

Alright, #1, I add 1000s of games, lol. :)

#2, where the hell is V9? I can't believe how far back it is.

#3 We need a new, full version with SNES examples. Also, are there any one button TG-CD games? Those play well on the LFB.

(MAN! I write a lot of shit. You guys actually read that crap? lol.)

Edited by Draxxon
  • Haha 2

Honestly, it's all basically a clusterfuck. 9.1 and 9.3 are hard to find because they are GoogleDive links. 9.2 is unnumbered and by Rocketfan. Around 9.4 and on it's all RocketFan updates that I never worked into a numbered update. I came back from the LFBU project and added the A/W/A games for 9.5 and here were are at 9.10.

There is a lot of reading for the updates, I'm tempted to just copy my AFBX Flashdrive. But, I'm going to build it up and see. After this, I think its time for a FULL V.1.0.0 revision.

@rocketfan, Since the LFB2 is 1008Mhz and the AFBX is 1.2 Ghz, is it better to use the AFBX to APL to the ALU to play these games?

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I built up the SD Card from v9.0 on. It was a pain in the ass. I'm no sound expert, and I never played the Atari 8-bit stuff as a kid. I did look at the examples Fred_M showed and heard the difference. I mostly play Overflow and Overflow 2021 lately and I do notice an improvement. It used to sound "wonky" and I'm not picking up on that anymore. I tested quite a few, but, there are so many damn games, I could never test them all.

I tried Atari BASIC and ColecoVision games. They worked. While playing Pitfall on Coleco I did detect some scratchy sounds after a few screens, then it would go away awhile, and then come back later. I realize that's not A800 core related, just reporting it. I am going to order two of those Micro Center SD Cards you recommended this afternoon and see if that helps. However, the games DID show up and work.

RRA is working on fixing the Atari 5200 and XEGS non-working ROMs. I added the missing side menu selector in the NES UI/theme. I'm going to work on getting some 1-button SNES games in as examples while RRA is finishing up Atari 5200. After that I will get out a FULL release.

Until then, A/W/A Games - Ramses' Revenge 2021 B.C. was released today and I also included RRA's Atari XEGS ROM fixes.

Atari Flashback Nexus V.0.9.11 (Update Only)

RamsesRevenge2021BC.a52.png RamsesRevenge2021BC.car.png RamsesRevenge2021BC.xex.png

AFBNexusV9.11.rar

Edited by Draxxon

On 10/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Draxxon said:

RRA is working on fixing the Atari 5200 and XEGS non-working ROMs.

This has been inspiring me to think hard again about controller support.  There are two main things I would like:

1 - Two button support for 5200 and 7800 games that need it.

2 - An ability to have some mapped keyboard actions to play certain favorite old 8-bit games (like Spelunker or Dropzone) that use a few mapped keys.

The proven, but gold-plated approach to this is to build a special joystick like Draxxon has done which interfaces to both 9-pin ports.  That allows one player games to have 5 more buttons.

A poor-mans low effort and cost version could use the second joystick fire button as the second action for 1-player 5200 and 7800 games.  The four directions of joystick 2 could be mapped to 4 keyboard pressed. (BTW, this has already been done using the 4 free buttons of the gamepads for the Legends Flashback devices.)

Physically you could do something like this:

-Take a 6x9 mini-clipboard:

https://www.amazon.com/Primo-Factotum-Small-Clipboards-Unbreakable/dp/B092CC8S2L

-Cover it with the "hook" side of stick-on velcro:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Adhesive-Double-Side-Fastener-Waterproof/dp/B07D38TNF9

-Add the fuzzy side of the velcro to the bottom of your two controllers.

Now you can arrange your joysticks one of two ways:

For playing two button games velcro on your joysticks like this - to keep the second action button close:

image.png.b2a461c6a606c800700d1c586031bbbb.png

For playing 5200 Robotron (or maybe battlezone?)  velcro on your joysticks like this:

image.png.f8ba8473adc125ceb0b748610c3cfee4.png

It only takes a few core mods to make this work, and the same changes generally support the super joystick like Draxxon built so the same core mods can support either approach.

I am planning to do this for myself, just to see how it goes.  It would really satisfy me if all the 2600, 5200, 7800, and non-keyboard-centric 8bit games could be played fairly well on the device.

• Like 1

I uploaded the V.1.0 and when I hit submit, it was only a 2GB file. Is that the max file size on AA or something? Anyways HUGE waste of time and pain it the ass.

Google Drive or Archive dot org I guess.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Google Drive or Archive dot org I guess.

Looking forward to seeing what you came up with.  :)

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

I uploaded the V.1.0 and when I hit submit, it was only a 2GB file.

I managed to download V.1.0 before you removed it.

The compressed folder is 4.62 GB, unzipped is 5.49 GB. Does that seem right?