Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

If you need covers for specific games you are welcome to check the covers of my collection. https://atarimuseum.nl/atari-cover-database/ I would be happy to send you scans without watermarks.

Oh, man! It takes soooo long to research a single game AND create a "box" image. This helps more than you know. I instantly thought... "Where was this a week ago!" LOLOLOL.

Thank You! I will get your site name added to an about screen in the NEXUS. I try to add anyone who has contributed to the project to a banner in an about screen. (each section/folder of the nexus has someone different.)

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Oh, man! It takes soooo long to research a single game AND create a "box" image. This helps more than you know. I instantly thought... "Where was this a week ago!" LOLOLOL.

Thank You! I will get your site name added to an about screen in the NEXUS. I try to add anyone who has contributed to the project to a banner in an about screen. (each section/folder of the nexus has someone different.)

Man, you are spending so much time on this ;-)

Do know that the scans on my website have a watermark, so please send me a pm when you need an image. I will send you the images without watermark.

And I would be happy to help you to look for info or an image, when I don't have it. I have helped the Atari 8-bit Preservation Initiative for many years so I have some experience with researching software ;-) 

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds good. Also this is a community project. If you get it going I can easily show you how to add games with art. You can create packs of BASIC games and share them here. Ill plug them into the project. The trick is finding games that only require one button. All we have is the A2600 joystick at the moment.

I am by no means an Atari expert, if you guys see something like this that isnt correct, please let me know and Ill fix it. If anyone wants to use any of these boxes for other projects, go right ahead. Just know that they are small, 183x255 pixels. A lot of detail gets lost shrinking them down. But, even so, I have touched up almost EVERY box image. Main thing is to correct the black and white levels, then the hue and color saturation. It helps make it not look like a 20 year old washed out scan and shows up really nice on the TV in game. I learned all this from creating digital comic book files from old scanned comics. Its the same thing. I do have a pretty strong Art/Marketing background. As far as programming, I know next to nothing. Any of that came from messing around with MK MUGEN fan games.

1.png1.png

(If I were using this, typically i would paint out the crease at the bottom. But there are so many games added now, I could never keep up. Mainly the A2600/HB games got that amount of work put into them.)

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Arcobat, Atari BASIC. Fixed.

Acrobat.bas.pngAcrobat.bas.s.png

Question, Does Maximillian B. have any "official" art?

BIFFDROP.bas.pngMaximillianB.bas.png

Edited by Draxxon

So I finally applied the CFW to my Flashback X and it's great, but I was wondering - I'm assuming the other systems (5200, 7800, Atari Arcade, etc) are running through.. RetroArch? If that's the case, is there a way to access the retrorach menu?

Posted (edited)

AtGames uses a thing called "Retroplayer", which is a kind of RetroArch. I have not seen a way to get into the RA menu, or anything even RA menu related. Instead there are Retroplayer.ini files. those have the [core] settings but not a lot can be changed like RA menu. (Again, I might have parts wrong, Im no expert.)

Edited by Draxxon

4 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

AtGames uses a thing called "Retroplayer", which is a kind of RetroArch. I have not seen a way to get into the RA menu, or anything even RA menu related. Instead there are Retroplayer.ini files. those have the [core] settings but not a lot can be changed like RA menu. (Again, I might have parts wrong, Im no expert.)

Ah, damn. I was hoping I could maybe dig around and see what could be messed with. Having all this access finally on the Flashback's and being stuck with a one button controller.. The tease!

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Gotham said:

Ah, damn. I was hoping I could maybe dig around and see what could be messed with. Having all this access finally on the Flashback's and being stuck with a one button controller.. The tease!

Only idea I have is to build a Super/Franken-Joystick that plugs into both ports for MAME games only. You can get into the MAME menu and config buttons. That way P1's cord has U,D,L,R,B1 and P2's cord can be used for B2-B6.

You can do some tricky stuff with MAME config like map jump button to unused up, or up is thrust down is shields, or map shoot and bombs to the same button (Xevious) etc. You could map coin and start to start button (or set to freeplay?), and free up select on the P1 joystick to get an extra button, but, it sucks to use it in game a lot because its tiny and next to menu on the front of the stick. use it for getting past an in game menu or something.

If the core is using the Legends Flashback retroplayer, you can set buttons in the retroplayer.ini file. But the mapping options arent as free as mame. no directional mapping, no more two actions mapped to the same button, etc. There is a text file in the /emulator folder called "flashback internals". read that for info on button mapping and a lot of other system related stuff.

Side note, I think this looks neat for the Atari Jukebox section. Its a Karaoke libretro core that I imagine would support standalone .mp3 files as well. #Ataraoke

PocketCDG - Libretro Docs

Edited by Draxxon

November 15, 2018
The Atari Flashback 9 was released on November 15, 2018, by AtGames.

Looks like we have been at it for two and a half years!

Atari Flashback NEXUS V.0.6.0

NEXUSv6.0.rar

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Question, Does Maximillian B. have any "official" art?

Sadly no. I found this article in Antic: https://archive.org/details/1987-09-anticmagazine/page/n37/mode/2up It shows only a screenshot of the game. Maybe a screenshot could do the trick? On the other hand, the box art you made for it looks good!

My compliments for the Acrobat cover art! Looks much better than the Lindasoft generic cover 🙂 

screenshot1.thumb.jpg.dc6e45427b3fe28ae9c9cdc8439d695a.jpg

screenshot2.thumb.jpg.65515d9d0eed95a8adfe9c04df863540.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I try to avoid using screenshots for games with no box art because it seems to me that that is what everyone else does. I understand, its surely easier.

Other BASIC games I havent found art for are:

Hopper

Kill the C64

Kooky Diver

Kooky Klimber

Pickin' Blueberries

Space Thief

Worm of Bemer

hopper.bas.s.pngkillc64.bas.s.pngkookydiv.bas.s.pngKookyKlimber.bas.s.png

picknblu.bas.s.pngspacthef.bas.s.pngwormbem.bas.s.png

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Draxxon said:

From what Ive seen, if everything powers on as normal and you get black screen and no game launch, its the TV or the HDMI cable, maybe??? Or defective unit.

If you flash firmware and get a black screen, it was a bad flash, maybe???

I don't think the Android Recovery options work at all. @MrFister 1st noticed that the Recovery options NEVER work on the AFB9s. I would try to push a full AFBX update onto the unit with Android Tools. If you power on to the Recovery screen, Im guessing youre just stuck in Recovery mode. Hopefully youre not hard bricked.

back for more..

I took a chance and applied the (0.1.9 CFW [FULL BASE]) custom firmware over this and it woke up !

then I applied the update (0.1.9 CFW [UPDATE]) tried some games, all seemed to be ok..

After this, feeling confident, I applied the overclocking update (afbX_update_cpu816_1008_1200_gpu400) through my usb stick, it completed successfully, at least I think so.. after the penguin and the quick rotating thingy it was back to the "update or not" question.

Now the bad news the games that played ok before, now glitch out.. for example

• in missile command, I have missiles appearing mid screen flickering on and off.. it's unplayable now ☹️
  • In Asteroids my ship is invisible
  • in Adventure I have no sound

Is it possible the overclocking is causing that ? can I return to the previous step ?

Note that I'm still testing the default games, no nexus stuff yet..

Edited by TIX

16 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Only idea I have is to build a Super/Franken-Joystick that plugs into both ports for MAME games only. You can get into the MAME menu and config buttons

We could REALLY use some other developers in here hacking.  I am a former Unix/Linux developer (and major Atari fan) with a good grasp of Linux shell scripts.  I have been working hard to build a few cores from source and hack them, but all this is a stretch for me. 🙂

All the controller interface comes from areas I have little visibility.  In the cores I can see what comes in, and have used that to fix some things up in Atari800 and Intellivision.  But that is all just codes passed in by the retroplayers - isolated from the hardware interface.

Some random musings on controller support and so on:

-In the resources partition/ARM Linux device tree (where the overclock is done) I can see the GPIO pin setup for the controller ports on the device.  I can also see USB port setup, but I don't know enough about the stuff to see if anything useful could be done.  Screwing up that area can lead to hard bricks - so I am not very tempted to start random experiments.

-There may be a layer of software - maybe a driver or daemon, which is between retroplayer and the GPIO.  Why do I think that?  Because the LFB "retroplayer.l" works on the AFB units even though the controllers operate differently (Atari vs. Sega Genesis).  We also know the retroplayer.x is needed for proper paddle support on AFBX units, which means the retroplayer IS heavily involved.

-There is a "serialinput" program in emulator which is run on startup - anyone know what that thing does?

-Also this guy ran a non-retroarch game on LFB!  His controller obviously works - so he must be using some standardized software interface: 

-In the mame menus, with rewind disabled - the rewind button can show up as a <tab>.  What does that mean?   Are buttons being mapped to keycodes/keypresses someplace?

-Another thing that would be great is USB keyboard or mouse support.  I have seen no hint that these work, but it might be worth a try for someone else to hook up a different USB hub and see if their mileage varies.  One strike against it was I see no HID support down in the Linux, but I didn't look into this very hard, and I think X11 (which is being used on these devices) might have some native keyboard/mouse support?

A lot of mysteries here.  It is hard for me to get traction.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TIX said:

Is it possible the overclocking is causing that ? can I return to the previous step ?

You are not the first person to observe that, so I have to say yes the overclock is involved.  Also, yes, the overclock can be undone by applying the full custom FW from MrFister which includes the original resource partition. 

However, if you use the Nexus drive - the problems you mentioned should be solved because we use the retroplayer.9 from the AFB9 units which does not show that issue.  It has also been observed that in general the frame rate and "smoothness" of the games is superior on AFB9 (or AFBX with the Nexus) than AFBX stock.

Without the overclock you will have poor performance in quite a few of the arcade and "other" games on the device, but MANY will be just fine.

Before you re-flash I suggest load the Nexus drive and see what you think on the same games.  You don't want to thrash back and forth flashing firmware any more than you have to.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TIX said:

back for more..

I took a chance and applied the (0.1.9 CFW [FULL BASE]) custom firmware over this and it woke up !

then I applied the update (0.1.9 CFW [UPDATE]) tried some games, all seemed to be ok..

After this, feeling confident, I applied the overclocking update (afbX_update_cpu816_1008_1200_gpu400) through my usb stick, it completed successfully, at least I think so.. after the penguin and the quick rotating thingy it was back to the "update or not" question.

So, you were only stuck in recovery mode somehow and not bricked. I'm glad you got it all sorted. You have everything working as well as it currently works. And yes. it sounds like the OC CFW worked. It completes very fast. And the Flashbacks ALWAYS ask you to update again on the successful update and reboot. Its stupid, but normal. Pick no and remember to DELETE the update image from your drive, or rename it, or put it in a folder not on the root. One member here left it on his, and one day he was asked and accidentally hit yes and it bricked his system. (bad flash or corrupted update file??? IDK?)

The other issues you see are just as RocketFan said, and I agree with him 100%. Try Nexus and see what you think. You can undo the OC if you choose by flashing the Full Base from the Flashdrive again. IMO River Raid needs the OC and the AFB9 Retroplayer/RetroArch app is superior. (I guess that the AFBX retroplayer was imported from the Legends Flashback systems by AtGames themselves.) Our approach is run it all from the flashdrive and change individual games clock speed and retroplayer app as needed on a per game/core basis to get each one tweaked to play as best it can on here.

The clock speeds Out of Box/Stock on the AFB9 (1008) and AFBX (816) do NOT match each other. The X runs slower. With NEXUS you can run them at either speed (or even faster - 1200). TBH the real choice here is, do you want tons and tons of options to tweak each game but jack up some of your built in games, or keep the integrity of the stock system and let the chips fall where they may with all the added flash drive games performance. For this reason the OC and the CFW for reading files off of the drive were kept separate from each other, so users would at least have the option. We also checked to make sure it was reversible.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rocketfan said:

A lot of mysteries here.  It is hard for me to get traction.

download.jpg

On a side note I would say its safe to say that getting the wireless AFB9 Gold joysticks to work on the AFBXs is a BUST!
These are the files from the /emulator folder if someone wants to look into them.

THESE ARE NOT NEXUS UPDATES

wireless

serialinput

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

As far as the FrankenStick is concerned... Even to build a cheap one, its going to add up, and I'm guessing everyone that wants to play street fighter on a 6 button stick can already. That said, If you have loose buttons and sticks lying around already, there is a cheap "reversed case" on amazon for $25 and a two pack of 8 foot cords for $20 (there were 6' cords for around $18 i think, but I would go with the 8 footers for a stick.) As far as buttons and sticks, I mean, its whatever you feel and there is a "normal" layout case available as well. These are Amazon prices, AliExpress might be slightly cheaper. As far as wiring them up or any extra stuff you would need, I havent looked that far into it. Again, a lot of money and work for why?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

For what its worth, I think two joysticks with 6 buttons in the middle of them is the best option. you get left or right handed 1P 6-button action, 1P double 2 joystick support (Karate Champ, Robotron, Cloak & Dagger, Black Widow) and 2P action while sharing the 6 buttons somehow (only 1 a piece is all that's available, 4 buttons and right stick would be same thing, so I guess its an Atari "HitBox" stick now too, lmmfao.). All crazy and not ideal, but hey, "FrankenStick". lol.

i would never want to add those extra button games to the pack because no one is going to build this stick. But IF they did.. they could totally have stuff running from the /game folder without art and that would be best. Remember, your only going to have reset and select on the system itself now, and youre not going to be able to back out to the main menu, so... just stay in EXT USB Drive menu. (This is where the new favorites folder shines, you can just edit the text file in the folder and create your own playlist and use your trooper or original stick, etc. and when you exit to the details page and scroll thru games left and right, its only what you want and not 100s of games long.) but yes, I would build a "6button MAME" add on /game folder pack. And then I would ask RocketFan... "can we have multiple /game_alt folders?" LMMFAO!

Capture.PNG

The final idea is to hack the AFB P1 and P2 packed in joysticks themselves, and try and keep menu, select, start, and rewind.

Edited by Draxxon

So far Nexus 6.0 looks good to me. 

Two things I want to mention: 

1) Starting Intellivision games can be complicated.  Venture is a good example.  I think you have to bring up the number pad <Start> then select 1, then E (which is Enter I believe - most games just take a number without needing that) on the number pad, then 1 & E again - THEN you have to get out of the number pad <Start> and finally swap controllers <Select> or grab controller 2 and play with that.  Geez!

2) In Atari BASIC Chicken XL is getting an error in BASIC and not starting - I can't believe I'm the first one to notice!  LOL

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rocketfan said:

You are not the first person to observe that, so I have to say yes the overclock is involved.  Also, yes, the overclock can be undone by applying the full custom FW from MrFister which includes the original resource partition. 

However, if you use the Nexus drive - the problems you mentioned should be solved because we use the retroplayer.9 from the AFB9 units which does not show that issue.  It has also been observed that in general the frame rate and "smoothness" of the games is superior on AFB9 (or AFBX with the Nexus) than AFBX stock.

Without the overclock you will have poor performance in quite a few of the arcade and "other" games on the device, but MANY will be just fine.

Before you re-flash I suggest load the Nexus drive and see what you think on the same games.  You don't want to thrash back and forth flashing firmware any more than you have to.

Progress report..

I tried Nexus (6)

Atari 2600 games are certainly not glitchy now, but there is terrible lag.. even the sound crackles up,

in Missile command the crosshair is hard to stir, as it pauses momentarily in every change of direction !

I'm sure in stock they played almost perfect, I had a game of Missile command, and almost got my high score.

Additionally I tried random Atari XL and 7800 games and they played just fine..  this is weird

oh man, this is fighting me in every step of the way 😃

the main attraction for me is the 2600, maybe I did something wrong ?! 

I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks for the support guys !

15 hours ago, Draxxon said:

chicken XL and Biffdrop have only been in there for less than one day

Oh, I thought it was probably one I passed you before.  😀  I pulled a few different versions off AtariMania - funny thing was they all played just a bit different.  This one seems right!

Chicken3.bas.gme

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TIX said:

Missile command the crosshair is hard to stir, as it pauses momentarily in every change of direction !

This is good info.  I'll fiddle with it sometime soon - we have a lot of options, and it is hard to have the hundreds of VCS games all operating optimally. 

Edited by rocketfan

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TIX said:

oh man, this is fighting me in every step of the way 😃

the main attraction for me is the 2600, maybe I did something wrong ?! 

I'll keep experimenting.

I dont think you did anything wrong. you went from running Missile command stock (AFBX retroplayer and 816Mhz) to stock w/ OC (AFBX retroplayer at 1.2Ghz) to now it playing with the AFB9 retroplayer at 1008Mhz. And they all will be slightly different.

Its going to come down to clock speed and the retroplayer files. The a26 games are running using the retroplayer from the AFB9 right now. To make them play using the retroplayer from the AFBX, you need to change the extension from .a26 to .a26x  (other options are .a269 - AFB9 player, .a26l - LegendsFB player) I haven't learned how to adjust the clock speeds yet. Dynamic OC is still somewhat new.

you will also need to change the entry in the all-games.ini file to match the change.

[Missile Command]
File=/rom/MissileCommand.a26x
Platform=Atari
Sort=Missile Command
Year=1981
Genre=atari
Description=Defend your cities and missile base from waves of ballistic and cruise missiles.
Note= \
Player Mode: Multi-player game (1-2)

you also need to change the artwork extension as well. MissileCommand.a26x.png and MissileCommand.a26x.s.png

Or, you could copy MissileCommand.a26, put the copy in the /game folder and change the extension to MissileCommand.a26x.gme

This way you can just test it first.

Edited by Draxxon

Shoot.  I got excited when I saw the link for the Antic Archives hoping they might have a program I wrote YEARS ago.  But no such luck.  lol   Not surprising since it was never published because they wanted me to add a print routine, and they went out of business before I was able to finish it and send it back.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

Oh, I thought it was probably one I passed you before.  😀  I pulled a few different versions off AtariMania - funny thing was they all played just a bit different.  This one seems right!

Chicken3.bas.gme 7.93 kB · 1 download

No, I only added 2 games because I didnt want it to become a thing were I add 100 and no one tells me what to remove. Chicken was from issue #1 of Antic, so I thought that was cool. When I researched it, I found the XL patched version and thought "surely that will work". Biffdrop I added because, there was cool official art, and it was one of Casten's games that was missing. Im guessing the Advent-X game needs a keyboard.

I'm starting to see that Atari 8-Bit really shines on this system.