On 5/11/2021 at 12:26 PM, Draxxon said:

About TheC64, I have a mini, I paid $35 bucks for it awhile back and they are still sitting at 35 bucks.

Really thinking about picking one of these up - it's kinda like Draxxon said "Come to the dark side Luke". LOL.

Seriously though looks like those support USB keyboard, which is one of the things I really wish we had!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rocketfan said:

Really thinking about picking one of these up - it's kinda like Draxxon said "Come to the dark side Luke". LOL.

Seriously though looks like those support USB keyboard, which is one of the things I really wish we had!

So, here is the deal...

The packed in joystick sucks. You think the flashback sticks are bad and prone to breaking, hahahaha. The C64 stick is so tight you cannot have any fun using it and if you try to actually play a game the stick is going to break, also the cord breaks OFTEN where it attaches to the base of the stick. Youll need a different controller. STRIKE 1.

Unlike the Maxi, there are only two USB ports and the keyboard isnt real, so you are going to need a hub of some kind to do more than the usb drive, the p1 stick, p2 stick, mouse keyboard, etc. Also Modern keyboards are missing some c64 keys, but i think there are work arounds. The c64 mini cant play VIC20 games, the Maxi can. last i looked into it, anyways. But I thought I heard that they have VICE running on it now so who knows? Anyways, needs more ports. STRIKE 2.

the community pack they have works very similar to ours, a quick reset and your in a whole new menu with a whole new carousel. There are a shit ton of games already processed by their community for it. The maxi is $300+, the mini is a measly $35 (or less used) smackers. If you did want another crappy stick, they are $30. Youre better off buying another mini for $35 lolol. Their "upgraded" stick that comes with the maxi is $40ish. I hear its better (there's no way that it could be worse, so that means little to me). I havent used one so I really don't have an opinion. Looks like a cheap shitty micro switch stick to me, who knows. Price & Value... Cheap & Hacked. PLUS 1.

The case is nice, its a nice size and it has a really nice weight. I would guess there is an extra metal plate added to the bottom of it. Its worth every bit and more of the price its at as far as quality of the unit/deck itself. It looks great with the other mini systems on a shelf. Its Solid. Even though it has a faux keyboard.... PLUS 2.

Final Verdict... Its ALMOST bad/good. Get a hub, mouse, keyboard, some new sticks and the Project Carousel Anniversary Edition (or whatever is new). Flash the CFW, put the pack on a flash drive (sound familiar?) and your done. I think you press multiple buttons to "goto" the next carousel menu in a cycle. there was a limit to how many games in the carousel.

I picked one up at GameStop for dirt cheap when they clearanced them a while ago. I mess with it from time to time, and it always fires up. I know the stick is crap so I havent broken mine, luckily. It might truly be the worst stick I can remember in the last decade or two. But for me personally, its nice to enjoy someone else's pack and hard work. And they really did do a good job. Its stable and fun.

Amazon.com: retrogames The C64 Mini USA Version - Not Machine Specific: Video Games

Amazon.com: Retro Games The C64 Joystick: Video Games

Amazon.com: The C64: Video Games

Amazon.com: The C64 Micro Switch Joystick (Electronic Games): Video Games

Edited by Draxxon

At risk of being a bit off topic...there are three TheC64 joysticks.

The original that came with the Mini (red handle) is terrible, because the handle breaks off if you look at it sideways and it just feels...cheap.  It feels like poor leaf switches.

The "upgraded" one that came with the full-size model (black handle) is *just as terrible*, but for different reasons - the handle has been reinforced, but there is too much spring tension (to automatic-return-to-center rarely does without disassembly and lubrication) and the cord has a bad habit of splitting ironically at the strain relief joint where it attaches to the joystick base.

The "final" one - included with the limited-edition VIC-20 (in white) and sold separately (in transparent plastic) is actually decent - it's microswitched, the handle action actually works as you'd expect, and the cable doesn't disintegrate.  It's most similar in feel to late-model microswitched Competition Pros, and doesn't suck.

Alternatively, if you want to use your own 9-pin stick, you can get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294156521267?ViewItem=&item=294156521267

that looks rough but is built like a tank and works exactly as you'd expect (adding the four missing "special buttons" to any standard C64/Atari-compatible joystick).  It's pricey and can be slow to arrive (and doesn't include a USB micro cable), but if you're a purist, it's the best thing going.

You might wonder "do I really need the extra buttons - can't I just use a 2600-dapter or keyboard control for navigation?".  Yes...yes, you do.  The 2600-dapter (and Stelladaptor) aren't mapped by the firmware so aren't recognized, and you *can* use the keyboard for navigation...except using the B key (versus the B button on the stick) assumes you want virtual joystick control via keyboard for player 1, so the controls end up port-swapped (with no means of swapping them back, because that's also an exclusive function of the magic buttons in the latest firmware update!) and you're not in a happy place.

There's no "good" answer.  My personal recommendation - either get the transparent version (lowest barrier to entry) or the adapter from eBay.  You can't go wrong either way, but either path is NOT cheap!

Retrocomputing...the hobby that keeps on costing.  LOL

(Sorry for the long-winded and off-topic rant, it just happens to be a topic I have a hella lot of expertise with.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, we are sort of off topic, but, it so similar to what we are doing, so I think its important to check it out. Because, I'm guessing VICE is going to run on the AFBs. But how much work should we put in if you can get a mini for $35?

I only have the mini and the packed in stick. I ALWAYS buy a 2nd official controller for all my systems accept for this one. Even though you get another C64 unit for 5 bucks, lol. Ive never tried other controllers with mine. I used a cheap hack (spring from an ink pen) to reinforce my strain relief joint before it had a chance to think about breaking. Its worked well. I keep the stick separate from all my other controllers, just because I know its prone to breaking. I dont really get into the c64 games enough to break anything, Im basically just testing stuff and checking out new-old games. Its an issue I havent tackled yet.

I never looked into the Vic-20, but Maybe 2 transparent "final" sticks is the way to go for me. The adapter you showed also has never shown up on my radar. A little pricey, but looks like a must have if you are really into the c64. Do you have a link to the single joysticks?

Did they ever get vic-20 working on the mini?

Ive seen some neat stuff. the games running off of 3.5 disks via an external drive is kind of neat.
Is it possible for us to do something like this and put it in and atari floppy case? 

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Woof!  No US sellers anymore:

https://www.amazon.com/C64-Micro-Switch-Joystick-commodore-64/dp/B08JW463TB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+c64+clear&qid=1621213001&sr=8-1

That price...dang.  You can buy TWO MINIS for the price of one joystick!  LOL

No VIC-20 on the Mini, because that's considered one of the few exclusive selling points for the full-size model.  It'll probably never change until they stop selling them altogether (because there's no technical limitation whatsoever preventing it).

Posted (edited)

Damn, 100 bucks for two, yeah well. I get it. Maybe just get one for now.

that adapter looks not so pricey after all, lolol.

I thought I heard someone say they got VICE running standalone from the built in stuff, I figured that finally gave users VIC20 support.

Edited by Draxxon

You can definitely run anything VICE can, but there are pretty serious UI and performance quirks associated with it.  tbh it isn't worth it unless/until it's officially supported.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

when you want to quit a game (by pushing Menu button) you are going back on the game page and if you want to go back to the last menu of games , you have to push the Menu button again

Could it be possible to quit a game and go directly to the last menu ?

Edited by lucifershalo

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lucifershalo said:

Hi,

when you want to quit a game (by pushing Menu button) you are going back on the game page and if you want to go back to the last menu of games , you have to push the Menu button again

IDK, thats a RocketFan question, it usually gets answered with "We need the source code". But its a great idea because that would really allow for running any a2600 joystick. Exit to the current main menu with select on the system and up (or down, I always forget.) on the controller. That's going to be more important in the future when people no longer have the packed in P1 joystick anymore.

The way it is now, it sucks. you back out to the Game Details/Launcher page and you have to cycle left and right to get to another game, or the AFBNexus Home entry. You are currently not stuck, but cycling through some folders that are 4-500 games, it takes forever. It's not ideal. I think I would use my other compatible controllers a whole lot more and save my P1 stick for when I feel like rewinding aka cheating only. I worry what happens when I wear out my P1 sticks. I have 3 now, just in case.

One good thing about a "FrankenStick" with hacked P1 controller and the extra buttons as a base is, its not going to wear out.

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

I just noticed playing the LFB... u+select is Menu and it takes you to the details/launcher page. After that THE B BUTTON takes you back-back out to the main menu. Hitting "Menu" on the system again will NOT take you back-back. only the B Button.

Atari doesnt have the B button, so it cant do it. 

Maybe knowing that will help to solve the puzzle of how to change it on the AFBs. Like, what I don't understand is why will U+Select work in game as "Exit/Menu" but it wont work in the details page? Is it looking for B Button and B got mapped to Menu button on the Player 1 joystick only??? So select switch on the system+Up wont work in the details page? Is the select button the the system itself mapped to P2?

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Hello Draxxon, So I have a flashback X. I download the zipped flashback X system flash file from page 1 then unzip 6 and put it on a usb? when is dragons lair going to be on it or is it already there? this thing is awesome actually. I have it running the gameplay demos of games all the time on my tv. especially the arcade games. feels like when I was a kid and I use to take the boat from the mainland to the island all the time. there was an arcade on the ferry. Bag Man, Donkey Kong, Pacman were there. I filmed bagman on my super 8 camera when I was on the boat. I didn't film the killer whales. I filmed the arcade games. I still have the film of that BagMan demo gameplay somewhere. isn't that funny?

Edited by martin00000000001
  • Like 2

Hi, soon I will have the Atari 5200 folder, complete with all games (released and protos) , if someone is interested

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@martin00000000001 You do not need to flash any CFW if you already have done so in the past. Thats a one time only thing. Dragon's Lair isnt in there, we havent figured it out yet, it may not work at all. And yes, v0.6.0 is a FULL download. put it on a fresh drive. Thank you so much for the video promotions, I really appreciate it. 

Thats awesome about the demo modes. I worked in a couple arcades in my teens and I remember some games attract modes (like SF Alpha 2) never go silent after so many cycles. So that "Street Fighter... Alpha... 2!!" is burned into my brain. I sometimes leave these games on and watch attract modes as well. Just yesterday Sky Fox on the LFB was playing. It's fun.

@lucifershalo About the 5200 games, I'm glad to hear you got them working, I know you were wanting to try them. So, that's great news. If you want to, (I would love to) I can plug them into the NEXUS project if you choose. Large boxes should be 183x255 pixels and small are 122x170. You could also add them to the Legends Flashback Project as well.

Edited by Draxxon

On 5/14/2021 at 8:17 PM, Draxxon said:

Side note, I think this looks neat for the Atari Jukebox section. Its a Karaoke libretro core that I imagine would support standalone .mp3 files as well. #Ataraoke

I was wondering if there is some type of video player cores that would work on this that would also work on the legends flashback also? That would be incredible if we can use these systems as music and video players!

9 hours ago, Draxxon said:

@martin00000000001 You do not need to flash any CFW if you already have done so in the past. Thats a one time only thing. Dragon's Lair isnt in there, we havent figured it out yet, it may not work at all. And yes, v0.6.0 is a FULL download. put it on a fresh drive. Thank you so much for the video promotions, I really appreciate it. 

Thats awesome about the demo modes. I worked in a couple arcades in my teens and I remember some games attract modes (like SF Alpha 2) never go silent after so many cycles. So that "Street Fighter... Alpha... 2!!" is burned into my brain. I sometimes leave these games on and watch attract modes as well. Just yesterday Sky Fox on the LFB was playing. It's fun.

@lucifershalo About the 5200 games, I'm glad to hear you got them working, I know you were wanting to try them. So, that's great news. If you want to, (I would love to) I can plug them into the NEXUS project if you choose. Large boxes should be 183x255 pixels and small are 122x170. You could also add them to the Legends Flashback Project as well.

sure I will send it to you once finished....

11 hours ago, Gamer2020 said:

I was wondering if there is some type of video player cores that would work on this that would also work on the legends flashback also? That would be incredible if we can use these systems as music and video players!

Rocket made us an image viewer core. I hear .mp3 support is built into retroarch but i cant figure it out. There is a karaoke core, and that would also give us mp3 support. 

Video player support would be cool. what libretro cores support it?

20 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

Rocket made us an image viewer core. I hear .mp3 support is built into retroarch but i cant figure it out. There is a karaoke core, and that would also give us mp3 support. 

Video player support would be cool. what libretro cores support it?

I honestly don't know? I will try look it up that would be a cool addition if it's possible! 

Posted (edited)

FFmpeg - Libretro Docs

So, Is the video and music players built-into retroarch already? Do we have them with retroplayer?

• .mkv
  • .avi
  • .f4v
  • .f4f
  • .3gp
  • .ogm
  • .flv
  • .mp4
  • .mp3
  • .flac
  • .ogg
  • .m4a
  • .webm
  • .3g2
  • .mov
  • .wmv
  • .mpg
  • .mpeg
  • .vob
  • .asf
  • .divx
  • .m2p
  • .m2ts
  • .ps
  • .ts
  • .mxf
  • .wma
  • .wav

Edited by Draxxon

9 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

sure I will send it to you once finished....

Remember, the AFB has only one button, so some 5200 games arent going to work. They should work in the LFBs tho.

How does this look for the A5200 and A7800 sections?

bkg_about.png

• Like 1

• Favorites Folder Theme - W.I.P. (Codename: Atari Motels)

about.png

detail.png

launcher.png

settings.png

• Like 1

Hi everyone

just to thank all this glorious group for taking care of all of us still dreaming with our little Atari!

Thanks. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

for AFB, would it be possible to use the Joystick P2 for one player game (as for exemple twin stick for Robotron) ?

also, in A5200, is it possible to remap it for 2 button games to become 1 button, eg Xevious that will shoot both from the same button?

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, lucifershalo said:

As Draxxon said, the retromenu controls this, so we can't change the behavior (all we can do with retromenu are simple hex edits of anything that is a literal string, like the paths).  That said, something like this could be done by "goto" back to the current selected rom folder when the game exits in runcommand.   Except you would land back at the very first page instead of the location of the game you just selected.  I will look at it a little more this weekend when I have some time.

54 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

for AFB, would it be possible to use the Joystick P2 for one player game (as for exemple twin stick for Robotron) ?

also, in A5200, is it possible to remap it for 2 button games to become 1 button, eg Xevious that will shoot both from the same button?

On the first question - depends on the emulator core.  You can already do this for the mame2000 and mame2003 games through the mame configuration menu.  For 5200 I believe the a800 core has some code to allow that for robotron - it may or may not be enabled, and it might be enabled by a core option.  I have to check.  For other cores nope.

On the second question - I have added a couple of core options for the Legends Flashback (which has more buttons) in A800.  I should be able to add a core option for this as well.  Hopefully this weekend and will check on the dual joystick for the A800 emu while I'm at it.  Then you can set it on a per game basis in the retroplayer.ini for your 5200 games.

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1