Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, wilfwilfus said:

use the keyboard to select joystick

In Wheelie I could pick..

Line 1 for a demo,

Line two for instructions and fire to skip pages

LINE 3 WAS JOYSTICK/KEYBOARD. maybe that is where I went wrong. I flipped it to the other option and back to joystick I THOUGHT. 

Again, Ive never owned or played one, not even in emulation before. 

Line 4 was for starting a game, CTRL or SPACE, IIRC, and it worked. Line 4 also let you "enter a code" which seems to work, but IDK any codes, ENTER, IIRC started the game. In game I couldnt control the charcter with P1 and not even when I tried again w/ P2. I just kept crashing on my FACE! lolololol. But, it seemed to be working, and I was missing something small and "stupid"/obvious, like always.

P.S. Rewind button seemed to "soft reset" the zx spectrum system. Also would like to point out, this will work on a LFB I bet with a 6 button pad.

Edited by Draxxon

Able to play 3 Spectrum games so far using P2 Joystick!

Wheelie -  you 1st press any key on 3rd row, then any key on 2nd row for Joystick, then any key on bottom row ( don't enter code just press 'enter'. You need to jump the buses at a good speed. Press up or down to use the ramps to upper or lower levels too.

Deathchase and Manic Miner play fine using P2.

Can't seem to get Jetpac to start yet unfortunately.

Glad these 3 work so far though!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is great news! Thanks for getting Spectrum going, I see there are a S*** TON of games.

I know next to nothing about this system, so you guys let me know "what's the plan". I will pause

the NES theme (codename: Sea-Sandy Cyst) and work on a proper ZX Spectrum theme instead.

I'm guessing youre using .z80 extension? have you tested any .tap games at all?

I see there is a lot going on with the Spectrum.

• Spectrum 48K
  • Spectrum 48K (NTSC)
  • Spectrum 128K
  • Spectrum +2
  • Spectrum +2A
  • Spectrum +3
  • Spectrum +3e
  • Spectrum SE
  • Timex TC2048
  • Timex TC2068
  • Timex TS2068
  • Spectrum 16K

• Pentagon 128K

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Draxxon said:

So, does select and start switches on the system not work for adding coins and pressing start?

I tried it - still does.  I was mainly thinking for convenience - most of the time I play alone, so having paddles in right and joystick in left for mame games is appealing - don't have to keep moving things.

Also, the code is confusing when it comes to paddles.  Plugged into right player TWO gets one paddle as the "X" axis of an analog joystick and the other paddle as the "Y" axis.   I suspect if I plug into Left port then player ONE will get both.  Really you want them spread across four players, so hence the hacking going on.  I have a little more hope of figuring out something for 4 player games if someone has two sets of paddles.  Does anyone have two sets? 

There are only a few 4-player paddle games - of course the biggest being Warlords.  This site shows all the true Paddle games (not to be confused with dial or spinner games).

https://datadrivengamger.blogspot.com/2020/01/unusual-mame-controls.html

Posted (edited)

I have only one set of paddles, Thank you too, Rocket, for figuring out ZX Spectrum retroplayer.l buttons.
@Velvis would be the one to ask about 4 paddles.

Edited by Draxxon

12 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I'm guessing youre using .z80 extension? have you tested any .tap games at all?

Yeah I've only tried .z80 in the flashback, haven't tried any .tap but I'm sure the Fuse emulator for PC can use any compatible spectrum extensions such as .TZX also.

Think Fuse can play games for all the different ZX computers but majority of the games were for the 48k. All the classics anyway.

Posted (edited)

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.5 (Update Only)

ZX Spectrum Theme (SpectrSectr). Plus Various Artwork Updates.

NEXUSv6.5.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.6 (Update Only)

More themes got polished. Halfway there, about a dozen more to go.

NEXUSv6.6.rar

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)

Went down the rabbit hole on the paddle stuff today.  Here is a new version of the core with the paddle support improved  a bit.

1) I made a (completely untested) attempt at 4 paddle support.  If it works as I would guess then a second set of paddles plugged into left port would act as the player 3 and 4 paddles for 4 player games.

2) I added "mouse/dial emulation" based on the paddles.  This means with this core you can play dial games at some level, though it is twitchy and takes a lot of fiddling with the analog params to make it work acceptably.  I tested with an Arkanoid game.  Also, you need the core option set in your retroplayer.ini [Core] section:

mame2003-xtreme-mouse_device=mouse

Same link I added before has some dial games listed:

https://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2020/01/unusual-mame-controls.html

3) The paddle fire button support is in there.  It seems to be working for "paddle 1" (it "serves" in Arkanoid, etc.) but I have yet to try it for a two paddle game.

4) One bad thing I discovered:  This core (which is a fork of the standard mame2003 libretro core) has problems rendering vector games.  I see some discussion of vector problems in the standard core, so hoping I can merge a fix in, but it's not clear and maybe something about the build.  Bummer is no paddle tempest (yet).  

km_mame2003_xtreme_libretro.so

Edited by rocketfan

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.7 (Update Only)
RocketFan's System Update and some Resurrected Themes that were previously cut out. 9 more to go!

Every section is going to get some kind of theme. The stock /emulator/res BOOM! theme was restored for current/future sections with no theme.

NEXUSv6.7.rar

7 hours ago, Draxxon said:

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.5 (Update Only)

ZX Spectrum Theme (SpectrSectr).

Love the Spectrum bezels, great work so far!

On 5/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, Draxxon said:

I dont think you did anything wrong. you went from running Missile command stock (AFBX retroplayer and 816Mhz) to stock w/ OC (AFBX retroplayer at 1.2Ghz) to now it playing with the AFB9 retroplayer at 1008Mhz. And they all will be slightly different.

Its going to come down to clock speed and the retroplayer files. The a26 games are running using the retroplayer from the AFB9 right now. To make them play using the retroplayer from the AFBX, you need to change the extension from .a26 to .a26x  (other options are .a269 - AFB9 player, .a26l - LegendsFB player) I haven't learned how to adjust the clock speeds yet. Dynamic OC is still somewhat new.

you will also need to change the entry in the all-games.ini file to match the change.

[Missile Command]
File=/rom/MissileCommand.a26x
Platform=Atari
Sort=Missile Command
Year=1981
Genre=atari
Description=Defend your cities and missile base from waves of ballistic and cruise missiles.
Note= \
Player Mode: Multi-player game (1-2)

you also need to change the artwork extension as well. MissileCommand.a26x.png and MissileCommand.a26x.s.png

Or, you could copy MissileCommand.a26, put the copy in the /game folder and change the extension to MissileCommand.a26x.gme

This way you can just test it first.

I came back to this, tried various games with different retroplayers with varied results..

The question is (since the 2600 roms are very small in size) is it possible to have different sets/categories by player ?

Posted (edited)

Yes you could. The ROMs are small, the box art adds up, though. You could have separate packs for the /game folder very easily if its for testing.

In my opinion, the best approach is to set each game up so that it is optimal. For instance, paddle games need the X player. Also the L player doesnt have the select button. If you factor in the multiple clock speeds, you will have a bunch of combinations. Its not a bad idea. But I think its better for the /game folder without art. How would you think to implement it?

I would use advanced renamer to add an x to the end of every file name and throw them in the game folder. if the x player plays better than the 9 player (which is what all non paddle a2600 games are currently set to) then go into your main setup with art and change that single game to the X player.

Which reminds me, Rocket, is it possible to have River Raid using the X player run at 1.2Ghz and not 1008Mhz like the others? can just one games clock speed be tweaked? or is it by extension?

Edited by Draxxon

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, wilfwilfus said:

Love the Spectrum bezels, great work so far!

Well it was kind of rushed and I know nothing about the Spectrum. I see people are really into the pixel art it can make so that seemed like a great thing to showcase. I tried to get some different game genres in there. Western, Space, Fantasy and Zombies. Its a little busy and the box art gets lost a bit, I think the BG images need to be a bit darker and muted, but I hate to change other people's artwork.

The system bezels are just found with google. I search for RetroArch Overlays. Lots have been made already. it needs to be 1280x720 and 169x90 for the small ones. I use an existing atgames bezel to know exactly where the display area will be. Here is a template so you can make your own.

bezel_template.png

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

That was a typo earlier for the bezels sizes. Large one is 1280x720, small one is 160x90. (not 169x90)

Here are a couple templates if someone wants to make their own themes.1.png2.png3.png

these frames arent on a separate layer or anything in the system. They are all "baked" into each background image.

These are transparent, so your background image will show through them. This way all the UI elements will

line up with your background.

Edited by Draxxon

Example of a theme using the templates:

bkg_about.png

bkg_detail.png

bkg_launcher.png

bkg_settings.png

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Which reminds me, Rocket, is it possible to have River Raid using the X player run at 1.2Ghz and not 1008Mhz like the others? can just one games clock speed be tweaked? or is it by extension?

Currently it is just special cased for .a26, but per-game is totally doable.

Let me think about the best way to make it flexible, but more-or-less we could have RiverRaid.a26.sh.  When present, the file is run right before the game and does anything you want inside it (such as change the clock rate).  Let me ponder it.

Your Bill L. theme made me laugh.  LOL  Hail the all-father of Atari flashbacks!

Edited by rocketfan
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.8 (Update Only)

Atari Lynx Skin Theme.

NEXUSv6.8.rar

@rocketfan, is there anything I need to do with the retroplayer_ro.ini in this project?

Edited by Draxxon

34 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

is there anything I need to do with the retroplayer_ro.ini in this project?

Yes, as per the LFB comments, we really need a retroplayer_ro.ini in each of the three folders /emulator/mu.x   /emulator/mu.l  /emulator/mu.9.

I would say use the one that goes with the retroplayer in each case - like use the LFB2 retroplayer_ro.ini down in mu.l and so on.

Who knows for sure, but that could partly explain some differences from "stock" behavior. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rocketfan said:

Who knows for sure, but that could partly explain some differences from "stock" behavior. 

I think we cracked the case on why the overclock and retroplayers dont get along. I had wondered what /emulator/retroplayer_ro.ini controlled for awhile now. I assumed the /game folder and folders without a /res theme.

bkg_launcher.png

Edited by Draxxon

AFB NEXUS V.0.6.9 (Update Only)

Retroplayer_ro.ini System Update, Lynx Skin Update, Atari XEGS Theme, Various Artwork Updates.

NEXUSv6.9.rar

16 hours ago, Draxxon said:

Yes you could. The ROMs are small, the box art adds up, though. You could have separate packs for the /game folder very easily if its for testing.

In my opinion, the best approach is to set each game up so that it is optimal. For instance, paddle games need the X player. Also the L player doesnt have the select button. If you factor in the multiple clock speeds, you will have a bunch of combinations. Its not a bad idea. But I think its better for the /game folder without art. How would you think to implement it?

I would use advanced renamer to add an x to the end of every file name and throw them in the game folder. if the x player plays better than the 9 player (which is what all non paddle a2600 games are currently set to) then go into your main setup with art and change that single game to the X player.

Yes I was thinking more like a test environment (no box art), with ready made categories per retro-player and overclocking, to speed up the testing process !

On 5/23/2021 at 10:05 PM, wilfwilfus said:

Can't seem to get Jetpac to start yet unfortunately.

Downloaded a .tzx ROM of Jetpac to see if that would be any different, it now starts and plays fine.

IMG_20210525_115747152_MP.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wilfwilfus said:

Downloaded a .tzx ROM of Jetpac to see if that would be any different, it now starts and plays fine.

That is a great game!  I'm getting excited to play some of these with an Atari joystick. 🙂