IGNORED

Do you prefer "Pinned Topics" or "Topics in pinned Compendium" ?

Schmitzi

That´s the question:  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What brings more activity and informational exchange to the community ?

• Pinned Topics (open viewable on top)
    • Compendium (hidden in a pinned thread)
    • I do not care
    • I never care

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For example, the most interesting (viewed) topics from the past,

- BIN-repository which number of views raised on a daily basis,

- exactly the same for the FinalGROM99/FlashROM99 topic,

- or the eBay-topic where posts came up almost every day,

- and finally not to forget the "Post your photos here"-topic,

maybe my perception is deceiving me, but since they were packed into this

(for me) optically confusing scroll-compendium topic, they vanished from the surface,

they are totally out my head. Yeah, they are past.

Only the 2 TIPI-topics out of this compendium have "traffic as usual" today,

but I am 99% sure that this is due to the popularity of the TIPI

and the knowledge of the TIPI fans that this topics exists.

Yes, we can stick and highlight the "New to the forum" topic, that´s OK,

but how many newbies do we have here, to see that ? 1 a month ?

So at least, imho we have to bring back the mentioned topics to the light.

Rest In comPendium  :grin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

Personally, i prefer 1, maximum 2 pinned topics, but no compendium.

I agree. I think only 'New to the group...' and 'Development resources...' should be pinned (but 'New to the group...' could include some of the links from the compendium thread). The high score thread would benefit from not always being at the top, which means I usually ignore it even if there are new posts. The same for the TL866 thread, which would move to the top only when there were reason to pay attention to the thread.

• Like 2

Throw all the relevant links into an FAQ pinned thread, only pin topics with temporal importance so long as they remain relevant (ie the 4k competition.)  Every major browser has bookmarks/favorites/&c. which people can utilize with reckless abandon. Alternately, the forum has an ignore thread feature which can also be used with reckless abandon.

• Like 3

I think if I have to use local browser-functions in a tricky way, or if I have to scroll and search through "3rd party"-topics to find often used forum informations (topics as instances, what forums are organized by) , for me something in the forum seems not optimal.

And I cannot press "ignore" on 1.000 topics just to have the "Top 5" on top. I would miss too much other stuff and I do not want to ignore anything. And they are called "Top 5" because they belong to the top, and not "behind the top" ;)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Regarding the bin threads, a forum has never been a good place for a software archive. We should have a searchable website with *all* software that has been published for the TI-99/4A (except one or two recent, copyrighted titles).

or better yet, on ftp..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

or better yet, on ftp..

As well, the FAQ is great, but we also have ninerpedia which could use some love.  There is a LOT of information in this sub that needs to be collated and immortalized.

Between the subforum, Ninerpedia, and WHT, we have a near-compete knowledgebase to be exploited.

Then another sub for development pinned, and another for general pinned, then another for special pinned...

Pinned threads have been a point of contention for some un-Godly reason.  Some people want them to make important topics easier to find, others do not want them to keep the top of the page not loaded with stuff they do not find relevant, &c.  I would just assume eliminate all of them -- if you cannot play well with the toy, then the toy gets taken away.

I will let Bill Cosby speak for me:

Edited by OLD CS1
BTW, not implying I am acting in a parental position, just that this is a topic that garners no winning solution.
  • Haha 3

It would be cool with more separation in "New - read here!" Now it all is lumped together, and it makes it hard to find stuff. I think IF there is a change I would like a sub forum where posts are sorted into themes. So as a new I can go into that forum and if I want to find stuff on CPU, there is a structure set up (everything pinned in alphabetic order). Logo a separate space, Raspberry pi, ExB, Forth.

Just pick up post from all over and sort it!

BUT, then someone need to fix it all the time.

So... It is good as it is!

But it would be cool with a Discord channel to talk to people, NOT for sale! Just social get together and talk about the TI. Then there could be made a digital opening to attend meetings around the world. So if they make a Chicago meeting, then Discord could stream it... maybe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

If you're talking about ftp.whtech.com, it's as difficult to find anything there as it is to find it here, and it doesn't contain all software. We should have a site like https://worldofspectrum.org/

Or maybe we can use the ♫♪new TI99 search function♪♫ to search all these sites:  ti994a.com/search  ?

(Thanks to BlackBox for the cool code!!)

6 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I didn't succeed in finding a bin file for the first game I looked for, Tombstone City, using that page.

Just enter "Tombstone .BIN" (with space) into the 1st field, then click "Copy to other search boxes",

and then "Search AtariaAge" (this was my first try. If no result, please try the other searches below that)

But there it is, as it is on AtariAge (and written correctly somewhere in this thread)  :)

grafik.thumb.png.cddf4fbec77c1a1bc26cd88aee96dffb.png

leads you to:

grafik.thumb.png.da7f61fe64a76ebfc25cd3a4625a2cc6.png

leads you to:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/280114-tombstones-beta/

grafik.thumb.png.3aa0f571e368711540db2bc2b84bc58d.png

32 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

Just enter "Tombstone .BIN" (with space) into the 1st field, then click "Copy to other search boxes",

and then "Search AtariaAge" (this was my first try. If no result, please try the other searches below that)

But there it is, as it is on AtariAge (and written correctly somewhere in this thread)  :)

grafik.thumb.png.cddf4fbec77c1a1bc26cd88aee96dffb.png

leads you to:

grafik.thumb.png.da7f61fe64a76ebfc25cd3a4625a2cc6.png

leads you to:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/280114-tombstones-beta/

Looks like you found another game for the Atari 2600. ? This is not a criticism of the search page, because how can it find something that isn't there, or only exists inside zip files with obscure names? 

The second item returned by Google as illustrated above  is the one you want.  If you only click the first link Google returns you will never find what you seek!

Additionally- please read the webpage- in the box for atariage it clearly says- in block letters:

"Note: As this searches all the forums, precede your search with "ti-99/4a".   "

so in the atariage search box type in:

ti-99/a "tombstone city" bin

Then we depend upon google, which is variable.  On my search the second item was page 51 of the thread:

FlashROM 99 & FinalGROM 99 - Repository

Using my browser page search for "Tombstone" took me down the page to the ZIP file containing the binary.

Even without adding ti-99/4a and limiting the search to just tombstone, the required result was still at number two position.  That is actually pretty good for google....

s

Edited by blackbox
noted the illustration DID give the required result!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Then another sub for development pinned, and another for general pinned, then another for special pinned...

Pinned threads have been a point of contention for some un-Godly reason.  Some people want them to make important topics easier to find, others do not want them to keep the top of the page not loaded with stuff they do not find relevant, &c.  I would just assume eliminate all of them -- if you cannot play well with the toy, then the toy gets taken away.

I will let Bill Cosby speak for me:

wantquiet.mp4 295.85 kB · 1 download

No, only where there are too many pinned threads, sorry for posting, I'll shut up now.

Edited by mnbvcxz

3 hours ago, Elia Spallanzani fdt said:

maybe it's a silly question but you couldn't set a kind of autobump for some topics? So that if a topic considered important or useful it drops below a certain position, it is automatically bumped.

I do not think such a feature exists in the forum.  Seems like a neat idea that a thread does not need to be pinned but can be set to not fall below a certain page.  Just have to be careful not to have a full first page of auto-bumped threads. :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Asmusr said:

If you're talking about ftp.whtech.com, it's as difficult to find anything there as it is to find it here, and it doesn't contain all software. We should have a site like https://worldofspectrum.org/

why don't we make some nice html files and put them in the site.. most of us http there anyway 

• Like 1

Yes, and If we talk about ALL software, and ALL documents, ALL knowledge, and ALL of this stuff, what about ALL times ?

What is able to live or exist longer, whtech or a site like archive.org ?

Or: what can be done to let whtech exist ´forever´ ? Or to have some complete mirror(s) ?

I am asking for a neighbour :grin:

No, I am not ;) The reason is that I have seen so many servers going down in the last decades,

and I do not mean TI99-related server, I mean server. TI-99 relates included. So many dead links today :(

Some of them were big, were holded by big companies, or they were famous, epic, and all this stuff.

But they vanished for some reason, they are offline today. And there often is no backup available today.

Data has gone. That´s the reason why I backup interesting servers that I see, when I have the possibility.

But this is locally only, too. And if I bring it back online, I will get some nice letters from the lawyers...

See the yahoo groups, how much knowledge and fun has been buried with their shutdown...

Yes, if you know about, and where to find, and how to download the ZIPs (if AA - where it is published somewhere around -

is not gone until this day), then you can get the zipped Yahoo groups and maybe unpack them. Locally. One person can see them.

But only, if you exactly know that this tool exists to read them (MBox). But only if the Mbox´s server is still up ?

And only if the OS to run it still exists. Or the Emulator or V-Box to run it, next to the online knowledgebase to install it. OMG

Or files like on Gitgub, are files, but no knowledge. Just files. OK, with a textfile sometimes, with 2 infos...

But only infos to this one (source)file, and not the complete background around like given i.e. here on AA,

where a link to Github was leaded from. Where you can see some context.

So the same question is for this page here (AA), or the massive knowledge that is stored here.

So if people make all this work and effort here, give their time, if not for a heritage, if not for the legacy, what else for ?

For party ? OK, then let´s forget about this questions and go on and make some party. And let´s hope that no admin

crashes the tree. "After me the deluge". And almost all that we know and use today will be away in 20 years.

Hopefully, that forums like this here will be available on portals like Archive.org forever. In an easy way to use and look back.

Hopyfully, that not Alphabet/Goolge-alikes will aquire this Foundation one day, and sort things out that bring no quick money...

So maybe we really should think about "later" if we can, and not close the eyes on that inconvenient question today.

Maybe this is worth its own topic.

Yes, sometimes I am a uncomfortable person, I know. "Sometimes ?" I hear asking some people right now... :grin:

Sorry for that, but I think I often ask questions that have to be asked. Popular or not.

ACK ACK ACK ;)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I do not think such a feature exists in the forum.  Seems like a neat idea that a thread does not need to be pinned but can be set to not fall below a certain page.  Just have to be careful not to have a full first page of auto-bumped threads. :)

this is a very careful non-auto-bump:  bump

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently I have marked all the pinned topics as ignored, which gives me the view I like. If AtariAge had an option for the individual user not to show pinned topics at the top, this poll wouldn't be needed. I vote for full use control. ?

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 7:45 PM, Asmusr said:

Currently I have marked all the pinned topics as ignored, which gives me the view I like. If AtariAge had an option for the individual user not to show pinned topics at the top, this poll wouldn't be needed. I vote for full use control. ?

oh, good idea :thumbsup:  ?️‍♂️