IGNORED

Flicker in picture with RetroTINK 2x-Multiformat

Kirkman

Anyone else using a RetroTINK 2X-Multiformat with their Atari Jaguar?

I'm connecting my Jaguar’s via S-video cable to the RetroTINK, and displaying on a TCL 4-Series Roku TV.

It mostly works well, but I am running into a persistent issue with the picture cutting out momentarily. Here is a video that shows what I’m talking about:

https://vimeo.com/543650035/ec57b9d649

I didn't have any flicker / cut-outs like this when using S-video on my old CRT.

Anybody else come across this? Any tips or ideas for stopping it?

Note that the RetroTink-2Xs (all of them) are line doublers and not upscalers proper, in specific they do not adapt the input frequency to the HDMI specs and in so doing they rely on the TV HDMI circuitry accepting out-of-spec signals.

At that point each console/TV combination has its own outcome.

On a CRT you don't have such an issue as in the analog world (still within reason) TVs have quite the tolerance for non-exactly 60Hz signals as it is the input signal itself driving the beams and as we all know analog circuitry is forgiving.

I have 2 TV sets and on the 2X-MULTI my Jag only shows up on one set, the other refuses it, funny thing is the second set has its own S-Video input that I can use with the Jag with no issues ..... well, somewhat, you see if the input signal is not exactly 60Hz (or whatever the TV can tolerate) the TV has to duplicate/skip a frame causing judder. That is because it has to interpose a full frame framebuffer in the middle and from time to time given the signal is not in sync you either lose a frame (hence repeating an old one) or drop a frame (completely skipping one), at times tearing can happen too (depending on the TV if it performs double/triple buffer or not). 

Not sure that this is your case but it is what it is, the new RetroTink-5X is a proper upscaler with framebuffer and optional pass-thru mode (called LOCK mode as in the output locks to the input frequency) which again may only work on some TV sets, but the buffered mode should work all the time.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:07 AM, Kirkman said:

Anyone else using a RetroTINK 2X-Multiformat with their Atari Jaguar?

I'm connecting my Jaguar’s via S-video cable to the RetroTINK, and displaying on a TCL 4-Series Roku TV.

It mostly works well, but I am running into a persistent issue with the picture cutting out momentarily. Here is a video that shows what I’m talking about:

https://vimeo.com/543650035/ec57b9d649

I didn't have any flicker / cut-outs like this when using S-video on my old CRT.

Anybody else come across this? Any tips or ideas for stopping it?

I have a TCL 5 Series and a Tink 2x (5x on the way) as well as an OSSC. I'll test out how things look today and let you know. I did find that the Tink2x needs the comb filter set to "retro" on some TVs or it causes flickering in some games (Doom and Alien vs Predator specifically). 

I've tested several things with my RetroTINK 2x Pro today with my TCL TV all listed below. I used Rayman as my test game and toggled the Comb filter from "Retro" to "Auto" to see if that made a difference.

• Jaguar S-Video cables + RetroTINK 2x Pro: no flicker or picture cut out
  • Jaguar Composite + RetroTINK 2x Pro: horrible rainbow dot crawl but no picture cut outs.
  • SNES cables S-Video + Jag2SNES (the one I helped design, not Jody's) + RetroTINK 2x Pro: no flicker or picture cut out
  • And just for good measure, HD Retrovision Genesis Component cables + Jag2GEN (the one I designed) + RetroTINK 2x Pro: no picture issues at all. I did test other games like Doom and that needed the Comb filter set to Retro to remove some strobing. Very odd...

The only thing I did notice when using my Jag S-Video cables or SNES S-Video cables is a mosaic like pattern that I don't see when using a CRT with these cables. No flickering or cutting out of any kind though. I know my setup isn't 1:1 to yours but I figured I'd try to replicate the issue anyway. Sorry I couldn't be more help!