IGNORED

STF - VGA - HDMI/Component

I already did. [emoji846]
They are in the same Profile. As you can set different settings for different resolutions in the same profile 50Hz, 60Hz and 70Hz are all covered. Only Problem I got so far is, that I have to adjust phase every now and then, mostly in mono, sometimes even after a reset.

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch. Can’t wait to check it out.

I gave your profile a shot this weekend. 

I didn’t have any luck with hi-res. 

I am guessing either my tv doesn’t like the resolution (it does say unsupported format) or the Atari to vga adapter is flaky. 

I can get some hi-res out if I change out the 384p setting to line 2x 240x360 but it is really jittery. 

I don’t think I will use hi-res too much. Even your low/medium setting were just a bit off for my tv.

I included my Json file. Some of the settings I am not sure why they are set that way but they seem to work. 

Do you think an St to Scart cable to the ossc would improve anything?

ossc_profiles_0.88.json

3 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I didn’t have any luck with hi-res. 

I am guessing either my tv doesn’t like the resolution (it does say unsupported format) or the Atari to vga adapter is flaky. 

I can get some hi-res out if I change out the 384p setting to line 2x 240x360 but it is really jittery.

Like this?

Screenshot_20210804_182617.thumb.png.f05f71870c6bb3545684bcb4b5353370.png

With Line2x scaling it looks absolutly fine on my Monitor. The imperfect scaling come from the cheap capture device, see earlier screenshots.

Screenshot_20210804_183033.thumb.png.f3269655cc4cda3e0f7223aed5797cb0.png

And for the record here are the advanced timing settings of 70Hz mono highres.

Screenshot_20210804_183346.thumb.png.b0a1a76ec5a6a0f457c8a8c29f5340ba.pngScreenshot_20210804_183352.thumb.png.cc8545320d059d5d16b2925b8bc4e87e.png

I'm surprised your TV even shows the 70Hz video of the mono highres signal. From my experiences TVs work fine with with 50/60/24Hz, but not 70Hz. For 70Hz I'm using computer monitors.

Do you think an St to Scart cable to the ossc would improve anything?

The OSSC scart input offers a low pass filter which might clean up the image, but I have yet to test this (need to solder the matching cable first).

One thing I need to add, I made a mistake. Turn  “Allow TVP HPLL2x” off, adjust phase once, and save the profile. With this setting turned off I'always have a perfect picture.

Screenshot_20210804_181831.thumb.png.9dec31b74f8d66462cfdbc4ab168d6e9.pngScreenshot_20210804_181853.thumb.png.48d4d76814a5b2b0f068fdf1cee4b16a.png

Woo hoo! I had some luck! I tweaked your settings and still had those lines. I watched this video of a guy working on correct timings. (I think the channel was firebrand_x or something like that) and with your setting and tweaking other setting as shown in the video I was able to get a really nice hi-res picture!

Both on Hi-res and Med-res (I don’t use like-res too much) I have a slight jittering but it is very slight. I am thinking maybe there is some type of interference on an adapter/cable issue but it is really hard to see.

It still didn’t work on plain old 2x, but with the 2x 240x360 I was really able to dial it in.

Thank you so much for your help! My med res settings still are a little wonky but it really has improved!

Correct me if I am wrong but the st to scart only supports med and low res, is that correct?

Thanks again!

Correct me if I am wrong but the st to scart only supports med and low res, is that correct?

Pretty much every consumer TV or monitor with a scart input won’t accept the mono highres 31kHz signal. They cannot handle the necessary frequencies over scart. But an ossc can do that over scart.
Next problem, the Atari sends low/medium via rgb over scart, mono highres uses a different line. You would need to adapt the mono line the same way for scart, as it is done for those Atari vga adapters. 
Until now, probably no Atari scartcable ever sold, supported mono highres. 

17 hours ago, Zzap69 said:

Pretty much every consumer TV or monitor with a scart input won’t accept the mono highres 31kHz signal. They cannot handle the necessary frequencies over scart. But an ossc can do that over scart.
Next problem, the Atari sends low/medium via rgb over scart, mono highres uses a different line. You would need to adapt the mono line the same way for scart, as it is done for those Atari vga adapters. 
Until now, probably no Atari scartcable ever sold, supported mono highres. 

Plus, whatever SCART/mono cable you made up would have to short out the mono pin in order to put the ST into mono mode. What would be nice is if you could make one cable that would support both color and mono modes and have a switch to short out the mono pin to go into mono mode.

• 4 weeks later...

We are working on a Shifter replacement that provides true HDMI out for the ST. Our prototype board provides direct digital scaling to an HDMI compatible resolution.

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-23-21AM-000_CustomizedView35659437561_png.thumb.png.519270b94dcb8206ca9823ac57982491.png

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-22-52AM-000_CustomizedView43953547933_png.thumb.png.10660c707ecb6a450c04d8c72b79b833.png

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-22-26AM-000_CustomizedView5065633021_png.thumb.png.fa2e519609c3cee082b9c4b8bcb34398.png

139511400_STFMMotherboardwithroutedPhoenixShifter-2.thumb.png.a1842a689b53bdf5529a108dfbfe0a91.png

IMG_0365.thumb.png.c497a22cf4adff216e0cd7065df0dc95.png

Below is a list of the board features:

Video

• Direct Shifter chip replacement
  • Full support of Low, Med and High resolutions
  • Ability to switch between Low, Med and High resolutions seamlessly and without a cable swap using a patched TOS or PhoenixOS
  • Scan line mode to provide that CRT look

Audio

• Audio mixer providing mixing of the three YM chip outputs and additional L/R from any other audio source together
  • Output of mixed audio available for exit to socket of choice
  • Audio mixed into HDMI stream as part of the HDMI output

Other features

• Internal registers for settings
  • SPI bus
  • Refresh rate LEDs

Link to the development thread

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Icky said:

We are working on a Shifter replacement that provides true HDMI out for the ST. Our prototype board provides direct digital scaling to an HDMI compatible resolution.

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-23-21AM-000_CustomizedView35659437561_png.thumb.png.519270b94dcb8206ca9823ac57982491.png

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-22-52AM-000_CustomizedView43953547933_png.thumb.png.10660c707ecb6a450c04d8c72b79b833.png

Phoenix_Shifter_2021-May-24_08-22-26AM-000_CustomizedView5065633021_png.thumb.png.fa2e519609c3cee082b9c4b8bcb34398.png

139511400_STFMMotherboardwithroutedPhoenixShifter-2.thumb.png.a1842a689b53bdf5529a108dfbfe0a91.png

IMG_0365.thumb.png.c497a22cf4adff216e0cd7065df0dc95.png

Below is a list of the board features:

Video

• Direct Shifter chip replacement
  • Full support of Low, Med and High resolutions
  • Ability to switch between Low, Med and High resolutions seamlessly and without a cable swap using a patched TOS or PhoenixOS
  • Scan line mode to provide that CRT look

Audio

• Audio mixer providing mixing of the three YM chip outputs and additional L/R from any other audio source together
  • Output of mixed audio available for exit to socket of choice
  • Audio mixed into HDMI stream as part of the HDMI output

Other features

• Internal registers for settings
  • SPI bus
  • Refresh rate LEDs

Link to the development thread

Sounds awesome!

I'll glance through the details at the link when I get a chance, but is this for only ST/STF/STFM or will it work with STE as well?

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

Sounds awesome!

I'll glance through the details at the link when I get a chance, but is this for only ST/STF/STFM or will it work with STE as well?

Thanks for the info!

It is only for the ST/STF/STFM. The STE shifter is a very different beast and also not so easy to replace being SMT. 

42 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Cool.  I will be in for a few of these.

As mentioned this is still a prototype and we have a lot of development / testing to work through for all the features. Plus as we all know there is a big shortage of chips currently and FPGAs in particular are affected which our boards use.

I know I asked this over at Atari Forum but just verifying...it

will work with the STacy as well, right?

Thanks (and thanks for all the hard work on this and supporting

the Atari community!)    :)

PS Scratch that - this is the same one that Derkdom put in his

STacy, right?

Edited by DarkLord

10 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I know I asked this over at Atari Forum but just verifying...it

will work with the STacy as well, right?

Thanks (and thanks for all the hard work on this and supporting

the Atari community!)    :)

PS Scratch that - this is the same one that Derkdom put in his

STacy, right?

Derkom used RGB2HDMI in his Stacy. 

Since the Stacy uses a DIP shifter the solution Icky present will work in Stacy. 

The phoenix board above replaces the shifter and I don't know if it renders the 13pin monitor port useless. But it is a very small unit and easily plug-in solution. Easily reverts back to original state of the Atari if that is a concern. The sound is also mixed in the HDMI. 

The RGB2HDMI adds a HDMI and you can still use the original 13pin out at the same time. Sound is not mixed in the HDMI and thus it adds a small problem on how you solve that. 

So the RGB2HDMI and phoenix shifter is two different solution to tackle the same "problem". 

Edited by snarkdluG

My solution I purchased a Toshiba multi region HDMI LED TV that does PAL, SEACAM, NTSC 3.58, 4.2 from 220 Electronics, then I set it to auto tune. I use a composite cable from eBay. Video is not perfect, but far from bad. ( see my YouTube channel) Some games will upscale with my Cable Matters Upscaler, but there is lag. 

On 8/6/2021 at 9:21 AM, moonlight_mile said:

That is pretty much what I figured. 

The jittering isn’t really noticeable unless you look close. I am using a 39 inch tv so probably if I was using a smaller tv I wouldn’t notice it. 

thanks again for all your help. 

Hi all! I have ordered a new OSSC for my Atari STE and I'm going to test an RGB to SCART cable for OSSC that switches from COLOR to MONO video modes. 

I'm including the cable schematics and I have already built it, so I'm now eagerly waiting for the OSSC to arrive and test this thing.

Keep you posted...

20210905_124403.jpg

20210906_101737.jpg

20210906_200926.jpg

Hi All!  I'm noticing that most of the video modes shows some "wobbliness" or "waves". 

I have tried playing with some settings but could not found one that fixes it. 

So I'm thinking this behavior might be related to some video signals not coming through resistors as recommended in most RGB / SCART cables, in particular for the color (RGB) signals (although color levels seems to be OK) or CSYNC (from pin 2 in RGB to pin 20 in SCART).

Any pointers? 

Thanks!