IGNORED

Atari 5200 Harmony Cart?

classicgamer74

13 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

I appreciate it.  I can't wait to get the 5200 and see all it has to offer.  I've been playing on an emulator for years and it's just not the same.  The 5200 is like the Intellivision where you just have to play on the real thing to get the full experience.

As a 5200 owner since I got my first unit back on May 19th, 1983 for my 17th Birthday I can tell you first hand that playing the real deal is much better than using an emulator.

Keep in mind though that there are some significant differences between the original 4-port units and the later 2-port units. The 4-port units rely heavily on a proprietary automatic TV switchbox in which you need to plug in both the power and the game cord to it in order for the 5200 to work properly, unless........ You get one that is both a/v-modded and power-modded, in which is a custom job you can do on either a 4-port unit or a 2-port unit (the power jack is already on the unit itself in which will give you a better picture quality and also no RF buzzing.

The drawback to doing the a/v mod is that you will lose any compatibility with the VCS cartridge adapter if you do so (the 2-port units work with the adapter while the 4-port units do not.), so keep that in mind. Also if you do decide to get a 2-port unit and keep it stock (running on RF) you may want to consider getting an RF-to-HDMI analog TV receiver, which is simply an RF demodulator with an HDMI output so you can use it on a modern day HDTV. especially most of today's HDTV's that only have HDMI jacks onboard (no composite or component inputs) so watch this video I produced back about a month ago on the wonderful RF-to-HDMI demodulator I use with all 4 of my Atari units.

They are readily available on eBay, DHGate.com and also Ali Express out of China as well as domestically through HDTVsupply.com 

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/rf-coax-to-hdmi-adapter.html

I got mine on eBay right here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-to-HDMI-All-standard-Converter-Adapter-Analog-Receiver-TV-Box-Remote-Control/184466011877?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You'll also need the RCA-to-PAL adapter for its onboard Pal antenna jack right here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-PAL-IEC-Male-to-RCA-Female-Connector-USA-Seller/231190947531?hash=item35d40de6cb:g:~gIAAOSwi4pa73mk

I hope you'll join us in proudly having one!!! :) 

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

+1 on the AtariMax cart.   Steve is a class act.    Might not answer your e-mail, but you will get your product and be very happy with it.  Get the Colecovision version from him white you are at it.

The Atarimax cart is without doubt a must-have. You not only have the entire 5200 library at your disposal, but there's a ton of 8-bit games converted as well. And as was mentioned, Steve is very helpful and I've bought several items from him and they've lasted years.

• 1 month later...

BTW, one note also, if you do decide to get the 2-port unit, in which will allow you full compatibility with the VCS adapter provided you leave it as a standard RF and not a/v mod it, I suggest you send it in somewhere and get a 4-port BIOS installed in her, to assure full compatibility with every game made for her (usually in 2-port units, there are compatibility issues with certain games, including Pitfall!, K-Razy Shoot-Out, and Mountain King). The 4-port BIOS allows them all to work on a 2-port unit.