IGNORED

8bit-Strike Official Trailer

2 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Is the 8-bit Hub doing coprocessing on this or could you play it on a stock machine offline?  I get that would be largely missing the point, but just out of curiosity.

Presently the 8bit-Hub only handles the network communication. But I plan to use the on-board SD-card for storage a game maps (as the number increases), while co-processing is considered further down the line.
Also, the game has no "offline" mode (at least for now). The game logics and assets run on the server (Python script). This makes the make very easy to "mod" (new maps, new weapons, different game settings...).

Edited by 8bit-Dude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 8bit-Dude said:

The game logics and assets run on the server (Python script). This makes the make very easy to "mod" (new maps, new weapons, different game settings...).

This is a very clever concept, I like the idea.

I think it is a lesson to all of us, whichever project that we work on, what can we offload to a PC to do and what should our 8-bits do? The magic is not getting the PC to do too much, that it no longer feels like an 8-bit computer. I think that you have found the right blend here.

Looks a lot of fun by the way. Thanks to both of you. Eagerly awaiting it....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ivop said:

It could be nice to also create an Android/Linux or iOS version ;)

It is possible to use the emulator Argon on these platforms. But the devs need to add 8bit-Hub support (I have already offered to share the necessary code with them).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Some quick news from the 8bit-Strike development (visit 8bit-strike.com for more info).

We now have 4 maps based on the "Arabia" tileset ready: de_desert, de_dust, de_dust2, de_mirage!

The draft version of "Tropical" tileset and de_aztec maps are currently being reviewed by TIX.
I will be able to release sreenshots of those soon!  ?

desert.png

dust.png

dust2.png

mirage.png

Edited by 8bit-Dude
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:48 AM, massiverobot said:

Very cool- will be an awesome demo of the utiltity of the FujiNet for Atari. It works with FN right?

I asked @8bit-Dudethis on Discord a while back and currently no FujiNet support:

Mozz: right now, it looks unlikely... frowning    Latest 8bit-Unity relies on sprite multiplexing through a DLI routine. Accessing Fujinet on the SIO messes-up that mechanism, and you end up with a messy slideshow of flickering sprites... I cannot see any simple solution to this problem.

11 hours ago, 8bit-Dude said:

Mozz is right, unfortunately. The networking interface on Fujinet is ok for fetching some Weather information to display on-screen, but it is not (so far) suited much to real-time gaming. Accessing the SIO disables all interrupts and messes POKEY sound. 

Maybe you could use your own SIO driver and calls. One example would be the used on "Joyride" demo from HARD.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...