IGNORED

Revising the Jaguar controller d-pad

Bratwurst

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:40 PM, grips03 said:

The stock d-pad on the black keypad button controller is the worse.  Any d-pad option for that controller?

I have come up with these, I believe I've figured out a viable solution for the black keypad controllers.

17pRx8y.jpg

qE1xsDJ.jpg

CLPPdU2.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry for the double post, but I've sent out PMs to everyone who expressed an interest in getting some of these. The pieces for black-keypad controllers will be $9 as they take nearly twice as long to 3D print, but the pieces for the 6-button and 3-button gray-keypad controllers are still just $8. I still don't have red color d-pads available yet but I found another supplier and hopefully can offer them soon. For now it's just black d-pads, black thumbsticks and red thumbsticks, for either controller.

I'm looking forward to getting user feedback.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 2

I got my shipment of these today. I ordered 2 of each because I wanted to try both styles, but felt I'd prefer the d-pad over the thumbstick. I started with the new d-pad and found that for my play style, the edges curve up too much and it was a bit uncomfortable. So I swapped in the thumbstick and I prefer it to the d-pad. Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's my first impressions after a quick gameplay session.

Regardless, both designs are a vast improvement over the stock d-pad. The increased throw in the design makes maneuvering much more precise. I've been playing a lot of Last Strike lately, which requires precise movements and found both designs were much better in that department. I want to try some other genres (fighers in particluar) to see how it holds up there, too.

Install was easy, just remove the four rubber pads on the back of the controller, unscrew the four screws under them and then there's one screw holding the top PCB in the controller. Take that out, pop out the stock d-pad, drop your new one in, screw it back together and you're good.

Here's some pics -- I am using them in repro Pro Controllers.

image0.jpg?width=628&height=471

image0.jpg?width=628&height=471

Edited by K3V
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

For some reason the D-pad looks like it sits up really high in the first pic.  Higher than I expected anyway.  

It does sit higher than the OEM d-pad, but no more than a quarter of an inch above the face of the controller. I've probably mentioned it before in an earlier post but it's a similar arrangement to the d-pad of the Sega Saturn controller where it kind of hovers a bit. The height increase gives it better pivot and lever action because the contacts in the Jag controller are spaced really wide apart for some reason.

I've learned that some 3-button gray keypad controllers have the same style of d-pad (the one where it's normally hard to make diagonals with, has a white plastic harness over the top PCB) as the black keypad ones so I'll be posting a comprehensive guide on what goes where when I have the time.

I can now supply red d-pads!

IPbXefg.jpg

I've made a few visual aids to clarify the differences between the 3-button controllers. Some have a white plastic harness inside with a noticeably thicker OEM d-pad. I initially thought this was exclusive to controllers with a black keypad, but apparently there are some gray keypad controllers out there that also have this arrangement:

NRMBu8W.png

The other style of 3-button controller lacks the white plastic harness and instead just has a red plastic pivot screwed into the upper PCB:

S7hcFmh.png

For all 6-button controllers, you can use any 'Thin' style piece.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So, I ordered 2 of each of these and got them today....

Took apart 3 repro pro controllers and put them in....

image.thumb.png.6f7b7228eecd9bc7e7a367189efbc39a.png

Ad the verdict?

The dpad replacements are, to me, night and day. It's like a whole new controller with these. Highly recommended.

Now, and I realise this will be highly subjective, I did not get along well with the thumbsticks. My brain kept thinking they were analogue LOL and it just felt 'off'.  Again, the responsiveness was perfect so its no fault to the part itself.

My recommendation:

If you have a repro pro pad, order one of each, and pick whichever one you like best!

Thanks for making these!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Was playing pac man on the PC. It may not be ideal for fighting games but I would take a stock jag D-pad over any xbox 360 crap when it comes to a game of pac man.

More info for the psychological profile when you finally get picked up by the men in white coats ;)

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

I would take a stock jag D-pad over any xbox 360 crap when it comes to a game of pac man.

Ugh, that X360 D-pad is awful.  It's like it was put on there as an afterthought because Microsoft knew most games would stick with the analog sticks.  I've barely played my Xbox One, but they really improved the D-pad for that controller.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Ugh, that X360 D-pad is awful.  It's like it was put on there as an afterthought because Microsoft knew most games would stick with the analog sticks.  I've barely played my Xbox One, but they really improved the D-pad for that controller.

I can confirm, I found the Xbox 360 controller's D-Pad borderline unusable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2