IGNORED

Revising the Jaguar controller d-pad

Bratwurst

I've received today d-pad and thumbstick. Testing both at the moment on two controllers and they both work like a charm. They are both vastly superior from the original d-pad. They are really great and I can't recommend them enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Ok I'm going to look into the xbox one controller. Im assuming it too is PC compatible. 

It is, and it's super user friendly.  I just connected it to my ancient laptop with a cable and it auto-installed the driver and was ready to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Two complete playthroughs of The Chaos Engine (PAL + NTSC) using the new DPAD....

There isn't enough gratitude my thumb can express.   Almost crippled myself last time I did this with the original DPAD.

I'm very satisfied to hear this as I deal with hand pain myself. It's noticeable if I've held particularly non-ergonomic controllers such as the NES for a length of time. We're not getting any younger and any method I can design something to move a little easier I generally tend to pursue it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bratwurst said:

I'm very satisfied to hear this as I deal with hand pain myself. It's noticeable if I've held particularly non-ergonomic controllers such as the NES for a length of time. We're not getting any younger and any method I can design something to move a little easier I generally tend to pursue it.

I tend to press down harder on dpads when playing older games as if to 'make things move quicker' - probably from decades of analogue sticks.

Yeah, these are much nicer for long-term use - and I will certainly get another 2 dpads for my remaining pro-controllers :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, slx said:

Are these still available? How much would shipping for 2-3 to the EU cost. Thanks,

There's plenty of the injection molded parts, had to order about a thousand pieces. The rest is 3D printed plastic and can be made on demand anytime, so I should be able to provide these for the foreseeable future. Red d-pads have sold the most with red thumbsticks, black d-pads and black thumbsticks in descending popularity.

I would ship any quantity for $4.50 USD to the EU, in a custom cut and folded box. It seems to take about a month, or a month and a half for international packages to arrive from the USA.

Edited by Bratwurst

3 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

There's plenty of the injection molded parts, had to order about a thousand pieces. The rest is 3D printed plastic and can be made on demand anytime, so I should be able to provide these for the foreseeable future. Red d-pads have sold the most with red thumbsticks, black d-pads and black thumbsticks in descending popularity.

I would ship any quantity for $4.50 USD to the EU, in a custom cut and folded box. It seems to take about a month, or a month and a half for international packages to arrive from the USA.

Thanks for the lightning reply. I just found out I need to open my 3-Button controllers to check for thick/thin version required. Do the thin ones fit the newly made ProControllers as well?

Got these today and tried them out.  Thanks for making these!

My one sentence review first, more details below.  If you spend a considerable amount of time to playing your Jaguar, or if you want to improve the overall experience controlling games, these replacements are a must have.

Just dropped 5 of these replacements into controllers (these are really easy to put in).  All versions of the replacement D-Pad are an improvement in my opinion.  Particularly the thick variant of the D-Pad on a standard controller feels great.  I played Ultra Vortek to try out moves for several characters.  Special moves feel easier to pull off.  Also tried all the styles (thin/thick and D-Pad/Stick) in Missile Command 3D for a few hours this evening.  All are obvious improvements for the standard, pro, and reproduction pro-controllers.

I do prefer the D-Pad style of the replacement over the stick style.  The stick style feels a bit to much like it is trying to be an analog controller.  This is a bit distracting, but perfectly functional, are still an improvement over the original D-Pads, and I natural adjusted to them after a few minutes of play.  The stick style has one advantage over the D-Pad style.  Both styles give you more play time before thumb fatigue, particularly when compared to the standard controllers original D-Pad.  The stick style is a bit better at preventing fatigue when compared to the D-Pad style replacement. This was the case for me anyways.

This doesn't effect game play, but the red replacements look so good with the Jag's red buttons.  Also, the color red used in the replacement, is a really close match to the A/B/C buttons.  Again, definitely worth the investment.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Installed mine today, and I don’t think I’ll ever switch back again! These feel phenomenal, a genuine improvement over the stock d-pad. 

I had no problems installing the sticks, and it fits very nicely in the case. 

I’ll be giving every controller I have this mod, only 2 more to go :D 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:04 AM, CyranoJ said:

Two complete playthroughs of The Chaos Engine (PAL + NTSC) using the new DPAD....

There isn't enough gratitude my thumb can express.   Almost crippled myself last time I did this with the original DPAD.

Wait, this game is available on Jaguar?

• 7 months later...

I want to order these and have been debating for a while on which is best. To make sure I'm ordering gue right one or ones, these are the 2 controllers I would typically use:

Original 3 button with gray buttons

Repro 6 button pro controlled

With either of those, I can order either a red/black thumbstick or a red/black thicker d pad correct? There's also a thin d pad option in both colors and 2 types of thumbsticks? 

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 9:36 AM, UHATEIT said:

I want to order these and have been debating for a while on which is best. To make sure I'm ordering gue right one or ones, these are the 2 controllers I would typically use:

Original 3 button with gray buttons

Repro 6 button pro controlled

With either of those, I can order either a red/black thumbstick or a red/black thicker d pad correct? There's also a thin d pad option in both colors and 2 types of thumbsticks? 

Not sure why I didn't respond to this yet, guessing I've been distracted and the question flew under my radar. But yes I offer thumbsticks and d-pads in both red or black, thin and thick styles, all combinations. For the reproduction 6-button pro controller you want thin-style pieces, the 3-button gray keypad controller you will have to open up to look inside and determine what it needs. Check on page 2 of this thread for the reference guide with pictures: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/320157-revising-the-jaguar-controller-d-pad/page/2/#comment-4849737

Unfortunately, when I started offering these, shipping to countries outside of the US wasn't too bad, but sometime last year postage rates went nuts with international deliveries. So anyone in Europe or Australia who might want some should confer with anyone they are local with to potentially arrange a group buy to spread out the cost. I used to be able to ship a bunch of these for under $5 USD to Germany as an example, but now that same shipment will cost around $15-$16 USD in postage.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...