IGNORED

Just got a 4-port 5200 - learning the system!

1200XL M.U.L.E.

I recently bought a 5200 console from Goodwill. It was a bit of an impulse buy but the idea had been brewing in my head for a while. I wanted one to learn more about the system, especially the differences between it and the 8-bit home computers.

The console was filthy! There was hair, dirt, bug eggs, and rust on the shielding. I think it must have sat inside a storage locker for 30-ish years. :( No controllers and no power switch box was supplied. I didn't know the power was fed through the switch box. Ooops! That is the consequence of an impulse buy without complete prior research. I ordered the power conversion kit from Console5. It does not look complicated to install.

I opened the console to clean the case and motherboard. The motherboard was surprisingly clean! I suppose the case and shielding did their job. The case was scrubbed with soapy water and a toothbrush to remove all the excrement.

Assuming the power conversion kit installation goes well, what should I expect when I apply power? Should I see an Atari splash screen? Once I know it works then I will look for controllers and games.

I see a GTIA chip here. Anyone install Sophia into their 5200?

Thanks!

I have a Sophia (the rgb version) installed in my 4 port. If you go that route do consider that your display device (mine is a Sony projector) might not accept the signal from the dvi version. I do have the latest version also but so far have been too lazy to test it. 

• Like 1

....and provided she works, you might want to then consider getting an Atarimax Ultimate SD multicart for her. There are over 300 different titles available for her to download, with more and more being added on to that total almost every week it seems like. As for the lack of controllers I strongly suggest you get the rebuilt CX52 controllers from Best Electronics (link right here: https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm), and there are other third-party controllers available for her as well as the Masterplay clone units that allow full compatibility with a whole massive array of 2600 digital controllers as well.

Welcome to the show, and don't forget to check out the 5200 Podcast that David Alexander has as well as my still-new YouTube channel, The Atari Report for details on some of the hottest new titles and homebrews out for what we affectionately call "Big Sexy".

Good Luck,

Ray Jackson

AtariAge user ID: BIGHMW

Oh and BTW, can you please take some photos of your new system, we would love to see both it and your setup, in which you will be able to enjoy for decades to come, and, yes, all of us here at AtariAge will still be cranking out all-new homebrews and ports of so many great games for her as well.

....and also, did I forget to mention that there is also a trak-ball available for her as well (the Atari 5200 Trak-Ball Controller model number is CX53)

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

I managed to work on my 5200 a little bit.

I installed the power conversion kit that separates power from the RF cable.

I installed a Sophia that I originally intended for my 8-bit machine.

I ordered two games to test the video output, PacMan and Defender.

IMG-0310.thumb.jpg.ceb8e2c94979c292d7c4c2e2095b355f.jpg

So far, so good! Both games fired right up and the Sophia board is working like a champ. 

Now I need to find a solution for audio output and I need a controller.

One step at a time. :)